The OFFICIAL American Idol 2006 Thread

Rico

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy smokes! Didn't see that one coming.

Nice shell-game going on with AI. I don't think the people they trot out for the bottom three is legit. Two weeks in a row now, they've stuck someone in there to shock the audience into voting. Last week McFunbags, this week Paris.

I don't know how Bucky is doing it. This guy has had to re-book his flight home three weeks in a row. I'm really starting to pull for him, which means the producers will whack him regardless of how many actual votes he gets.

Going into this year they fed us a crap line about how this was the most talented group ever. Two weeks in a row and they've all hit bottom. They're losing the audience. Queen night? Jesus.

Mandisa leaving is bizzarre, and I'm going to have to call my wife's hairdresser to get the info on why the "happy" crowd bailed on her. Something's a-foot.

Mandisa deserved to go. I was at work so I didn't watch, but there was a TV on in the room next to mine, so I was hearing bits and pieces. I didn't pay much attention, but I did hear Mandisa, and holy crap she was horrible! She sounded like a hurt dog.

I'm not sure what happened to these guys. They haven't been getting great song choices, but they have all gone down hill.

And I honestly think Taylor is TRYING to get booted. You don't just change your entire attitude that quickly for no reason. His CD sales probably went throught the roof and he thinks he can do better on his own at this point (duh).

I'll take a stab at what they'll sing next week:

Ace: Somebody To Love

Bucky: Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Chris: I Want It All

Elliott: Who Wants To Live Forever

Katherine: Friends Will Be Friends

Kellie: You're My Best Friend

Paris: Play The Game

Taylor: Radio Ga Ga, although I'd like to see him go totally spazz singing

I'm Going Slightly Mad

Holy Schmoley........Bucky actually sounded good.  :P

659471[/snapback]

Kelly sure as hell didn't......that was one of the WORST performances I've ever seen......how the HELL can they be saying she did well???? She took one of the greatest songs ever and totally embarrassed herself.....wtf are people watching???

Chris Daughtry is totally freaking awesome.

659486[/snapback]

Yeah he is.....I really enjoyed his and Taylor's performance tonight. Paris is up next, but I've really soured on her since the auditions.

Kelly sure as hell didn't......that was one of the WORST performances I've ever seen......how the HELL can they be saying she did well????  She took one of the greatest songs ever and totally embarrassed herself.....wtf are people watching???

659481[/snapback]

I thought they were all doing Queen stuff tonight. Unless she went off the program, how could she have possibly have sung one of the "greatest songs ever". I'm trying to think of a song by Queen that doesn't totally annoy me. No luck so far.

I thought they were all doing Queen stuff tonight.  Unless she went off the program, how could she have possibly have sung one of the "greatest songs ever".  I'm trying to think of a song by Queen that doesn't totally annoy me.  No luck so far.

659550[/snapback]

ha ha :P

Bottom 3:

Ace, Taylor, Elliott.  I think Taylor had the worst vocals of all, not to mention his spaz attack.  Just terrible.  And I knew before Simon spoke he was going to call Ace's performance a "mess."  Looks like Bucky escapes at least one more week...

659553[/snapback]

Really??? So you think Kelly was better than Taylor???

Kelly sure as hell didn't......that was one of the WORST performances I've ever seen......how the HELL can they be saying she did well????  She took one of the greatest songs ever and totally embarrassed herself.....wtf are people watching???

659481[/snapback]

I think Chris would have done a fine job with that song. :P Kelly was really bad.

Really??? So you think Kelly was better than Taylor???

659573[/snapback]

I actually do. After Kellie's performance I found myself saying, OK, was that good or bad? She was that much in the average zone. I don't feel she butchered it, but I guess she was a product of low expectations because she did better than I thought she would.

Taking Taylor's sideshow out of the equation for a second, his vocals were off key and just plain bad. I actually thought it was embarrassing for him. Just as bad as that Buddy Holly performance he had a few weeks back. If he didn't have that sideshow distraction of what he calls dancing, I think it would be plain to see. When he's out of his element, he is just plain bad, and I look for him to be gone soon. He has a bigger fan base in his favor though, so he'll outlast the likes of Bucky.

I don't like Elliott, but the judges keep pimping him, 'nuff said. So that leaves Ace as the one exiting this week. Big fan base, but he hasn't really brought anything since the final 12 and he's been a regular in the bottom three. He has more lives than the wife beater from last season, but his luck runs out.

Of course, I can't sing a lick, and all of this is just IMHO :P

I actually do.  After Kellie's performance I found myself saying, OK, was that good or bad?  She was that much in the average zone.  I don't feel she butchered it, but I guess she was a product of low expectations because she did better than I thought she would. 

Taking Taylor's sideshow out of the equation for a second, his vocals were off key and just plain bad.  I actually thought it was embarrassing for him.  Just as bad as that Buddy Holly performance he had a few weeks back.  If he didn't have that sideshow distraction of what he calls dancing, I think it would be plain to see.  When he's out of his element, he is just plain bad, and I look for him to be gone soon.  He has a bigger fan base in his favor though, so he'll outlast the likes of Bucky.

I don't like Elliott, but the judges keep pimping him, 'nuff said.  So that leaves Ace as the one exiting this week.  Big fan base, but he hasn't really brought anything since the final 12 and he's been a regular in the bottom three.  He has more lives than the wife beater from last season, but his luck runs out.

Of course, I can't sing a lick, and all of this is just IMHO :P

659620[/snapback]

lol, I can't sing worth a damn either....I think that's partly why I like the show, cause I get to live vicariously :D

Even though we disagree on Taylor, I think we're of one mind when it come to Ace.....good riddance!!!

My predictions after Queen night.

Bottom 3: Ace, Bucky, Elliott

Eliminated: Ace

This has got to be it for Ace. A kind, gentle version of "We Will Rock You"? Are you fu@&!^% kidding me!?

While Kellie was'nt great I thought she was far from bad.

I thought Taylor did a great job.

Chris was good, but I did not like his song choice.

Not a single person here has even mentioned Katharine. She may have been the best of the night.

"Taylor, are you drunk?" :D  :P  :P

Good to see Spazz back in full tard form, nice mike-stand kick. :o

659670[/snapback]

LOL, that was pretty funny when he did his Rockette impression :)

I thought they were all doing Queen stuff tonight.  Unless she went off the program, how could she have possibly have sung one of the "greatest songs ever".  I'm trying to think of a song by Queen that doesn't totally annoy me.  No luck so far.

659550[/snapback]

That was not the greatest song in the world, that was just a tribute.

For me the most enjoyable moment of the night was when Ace asked Queen if they could "We Will Rock You", to something with more of an "Army Beat". They looked at him like he was on crack. Didn't Brian May say "I'm not going to butcher my own song"? I could almost see him thinking "If I wasn't 60 years old I would kick this kids ass!" :D

Eight contestants left on Queen Night. Should be an outstanding evening of eye liner and classic rock and roll getting butchered by kids who have no idea who these old guys are.

But first, let’s address last week’s shocking dismissal of Mandiva. We assumed that her outright shun by the gays was partly due to AI running opposite of The Gilmore Girls. Un-uh, sweetie. It seems Big Miss Thing self-destructed on the Home-o front when she listed known anti-gay author Beth Moore as her American Idol, a major faux-pas with the ever-happy crowd. This Advocate poll shows the resulting damage (85% disapproved…those are positively Dubya-esque numbers). TMZ.com’s backstage buzz has this quote.

According to TMZ sources, lots of Hollywood types were backstage, including agents, PR flacks, managers and special guests. And the sentiment was clear; as one person put it, "Once you don't have the gays - forget about it."
You don’t want to piss-off the gays or the PR flacks. Big Miss Thing should-a kept her big mouth shut. On to the show…

Queen night! No silly, the band Queen, fronted by the not-so-ambiguously gay and not-so-alive-anymore singer Freddie Mercury (has it really been 15 years…wow). How will the eight finalists tackle this catalog of songs I never wanted to hear again? My better half has abandoned me for Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, and their rapid-fire dialog and wacky hijinx. So my martini (i.e. can of Pabst Blue Ribbon) and I are once again relegated to the “office” and the small TV. Here we go…

Bucky:

He says he wouldn’t mind having a few beers with the guys from Queen. That just about says it all, and I am 100 proof behind this mumbling fool from North Carolina. He is the only one on that stage genuinely having a good time…not forced or gimmicky like some of these other clowns…singing in another language and having a blast not breathing in paint fumes in a shack. He pulled off an outstanding, twangy version of “Fat Bottomed Girls”. What a great way to start the night. Safe again, Rasputin.

Ace: (Did he just say he wanted to feel it and give it back? Did he really just say that?)

So he’s going to try “We Will Rock You”, one of those songs I hate hearing in a bar, because it means gang-vocals by the drunks, followed by fits of air guitar by those very same drunks that can still wave their arms without falling off the stool. There was a nice moment of Ace arguing with Brian May about the arrangement and May telling him to go to hell. Who the fug is this pretty-boy to tell this senior citizen rockstar how to arrange one of the great arena-rock anthems not written by a pedophile named Gary? As expected, he bombed, but not with the ladies. That may have been the worst couple of minutes ever on AI, and that could be the end of Ace. Get ready for the high-pitched screams of dissappointment right around 9:29PM. His only hope is that people voted for him so they wouldn’t have to hear him sing the song of shame at the end of tonight’s elimination show. Good riddance, clown.

Side note: Wow, was that a shot of Mickey Dolenz?!? :D

Pickler:

There’s this drag-queen club in downtown Boston. They also do punk rock shows (subliminal disclaimer alert!!!!), but the two crowds mingle, and you often get to see some of the other performers do their “thing.” I’ve always thought that it takes a pretty big set of balls for a guy to walk around and perform in a dress and high heels. I’ve never said it out loud, but I’ve thought it on more than one occasion. It’s not my thing (disclaimer alert!!!!), but if you’re willing to go there for your art, good for you. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a drag queen perform “Bohemian Rhapsody.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve met a drag queen named Bohemian Rhapsody. So imagine my surprise when Kellie Pickler walked out on stage in full drag-queen-dom to sing “Bohemian Rhapsody.” Well, that song was a drag, and that queen’s got no balls.

Chris:

Is there any eye liner left back stage? Anyway, Daughtry should be able to absolutely kill tonight by covering an arena rock song while channeling Ed Kowalczyk. He picked “Innuendo,” and we watched as his stock continues to plummet. Maybe it’s just me, but he’s starting to bore the hell out of me. My wife thinks he’s hot, of course. But not hot enough to watch Idol over The Gilmore Girls. No, I’m not bitter, and yes, the guy can sing. But why hasn’t he quit this show yet? What is he waiting for? If I was Kowalczyk, I’d hire someone to test my food and start my car for me…there’s someone that looks like you, sings like you, covets your job, and is more popular than you right now, Ed. Watch your back, guy.

Side note: The skin hanging down off of Brian May’s triceps is making me sick.

Katherine:

Choosing a song from Highlander was a bold strategy, and Katherine smoldered again. She sang great, she looked hot, and I’m not aware of any bad vibes from the ever-happy community towards her. All the signs point to her winning this thing and I’d be shocked if she got booted this week. Best performance of the night.

Elliot “Vanilla Ice” Yamin:

“Ice-Ice, Yamin” get’s the spotlight couch this week, in a blatant attempt to sell him to the audience. Bad-Bad-move, baby, because he came across as a total idiot, and we’re left wondering why he is Corporate Rock’s Chosen One this season. He chose to sing “Somebody to Love” and admitted to never having heard the song before this week. That became apparent when he yet again butchered the lyrics to a song in front of millions of people. That minor detail got Melissa The Pig ridiculed by the judges and booted off the show. Vanilla Yamin does it and get’s this week’s “What the hell are the judges listening to?” award. I shake my head in disbelief.

Taylor Hicks:

My boss is hovering around, so I have to type this section in italics to keep the noise down. Shhhhhhh

When you’ve shown two weeks in a row that you’ve got zero vocal talent, you’ve got to bust out some new moves. The new move Taylor worked on all week was to whiff on a kick to the mike stand, twice, before feebly knocking it over. This move was followed by the return of his signature squat-and-swivel move, and running all over the place while butchering “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”. I don’t get where his fanbase is coming from. How many middle-aged, slightly overweight, prematurely graying, talentless hacks can there be out there watching this show? What’s that? Oh, Snap!!!

Paris:

Little miss hair extensions is the last performer of the night. I wonder what song she’ll…OH. MY. GOD. When did Queen Night morph into Judas Priest Night?!? Paris hit the stage in full-on danger-butch mode to belt out “The Show Must Go On” and I took a hit off my can of PBR to calm down. It was a shocking, frightening display that took me completely by surprise, and is a one-hundred-and-eighty degree turnaround in personality for her. What the hell did the Queen guys do to the petite, bubbly child that I despised from the very depths of my being? Not sure how the whips and chains look, minus the whips and chains is going to go over with the teeny-bopper fan base. Other than shake the foundation of my soul, it did nothing for me.

Side note: This season blows. All the interesting people that make the show fun to ridicule have been bounced.

Bottom three:

Who the hell knows, really? I was totally wrong last week. I’ll say Vanilla Ice, Ace, and Paris is Burning. Ace get’s bounced.

Holy smokes!  Didn't see that one coming. 

You've been dead-nuts on, MV50.  Nice call on McPhee.  AI is torturing that poor girl. 

Nice shell-game going on with AI.  I don't think the people they trot out for the bottom three is legit.  Two weeks in a row now, they've stuck someone in there to shock the audience into voting.  Last week McFunbags, this week Paris.

I don't know how Bucky is doing it.  This guy has had to re-book his flight home three weeks in a row.  I'm really starting to pull for him, which means the producers will whack him regardless of how many actual votes he gets. 

Going into this year they fed us a crap line about how this was the most talented group ever.  Two weeks in a row and they've all hit bottom.  They're losing the audience.  Queen night?  Jesus.

Mandisa leaving is bizzarre, and I'm going to have to call my wife's hairdresser to get the info on why the "alternative lifestyle" crowd bailed on her.  Something's a-foot.

653818[/snapback]

I'ev completely lost all respect for your musical tastes, Coli.

Come on man, Get pissed! DESTROY!

:D

Thanks Johnny for your usual great review!

The last several weeks the lighting, makeup, wardrobe, stylists, and sound engineers have been working overtime trying to put lip stick on this pig called AI. To me, it's just not working.

Last night was downright scary. Pickler looked like some kind of ghoul putting a country spin on a hair rock song. Of course she ended it with her patented drop to her knees like she learned to do with the stripper pole back in NC.

Taylor improved from the last few weeks but still is no more than a Holiday Inn lounge singer.

The only reason I'm still watching is that I'm hoping for a wardrobe malphunction by McPhee.

Eight contestants left on Queen Night.

659839[/snapback]

Great, as always, JC. FINALLY I find out what song Kelly sang. Yeah...that song sucks.

BTW, you made me google "Ed Kowalczyk".