FWIW--Peter King on M&M this AM

Beerball

His shoe ins for HoF are White and Aikmen.  Next in line are Madden and Thurman.  Hopefully TT gets the nod.

He also said he would vote Irvin over Monk, and stressed that voters are schooled to ignore off the field stuff.

562687[/snapback]

Why Irvin? That would really piss me off if he gets in before Reed (and even Monk)

People say Reed "hung on" and "padded" stats. Well, guess what? Reed has more catches in his first 12 years than Irvin does in his entire 12 year career (766 vs 750). He has more touchdowns (75-65). They played in a similar number of playoff games and have similar playoff stats. What the hell?

CW

Why Irvin?  That would really piss me off if he gets in before Reed (and even Monk)

People say Reed "hung on" and "padded" stats.  Well, guess what?  Reed has more catches in his first 12 years than Irvin does in his entire 12 year career (766 vs 750).   He has more touchdowns (75-65).   They played in a similar number of playoff games and have similar playoff stats.  What the hell?

CW

562691[/snapback]

The one playoff stat Irvin has on Reed is 3 rings to 0 and say what you want but NFL Championships mean far more to HOF voters than AFC Championships.

Why Irvin?  That would really piss me off if he gets in before Reed (and even Monk)

People say Reed "hung on" and "padded" stats.  Well, guess what?  Reed has more catches in his first 12 years than Irvin does in his entire 12 year career (766 vs 750).  He has more touchdowns (75-65).  They played in a similar number of playoff games and have similar playoff stats.  What the hell?

CW

562691[/snapback]

Yeah I don't get that at all. I'm not a Cowboy hater per say, but I don't see how Aikman is heads & shoulders above Moon either.

To me the only certifiable lock in that group is White.

People say Reed "hung on" and "padded" stats.  Well, guess what?  Reed has more catches in his first 12 years than Irvin does in his entire 12 year career (766 vs 750).  He has more touchdowns (75-65).  They played in a similar number of playoff games and have similar playoff stats.  What the hell?

CW

562691[/snapback]

Yeah, but did Reed play for "America's" Team, or act like a clown on a network pregame show? I put Irvin in the same category as Howie Long. IMO, Long got in because of his TV exposure more than playing career.

The one playoff stat Irvin has on Reed is 3 rings to 0 and say what you want but NFL Championships mean far more to HOF voters than AfC Championships.

562693[/snapback]

Monk won a Superbowl or two in his day.

And the HOF is about stats and performances, not about Superbowls. Or at least it should be.

CW

He also said he would vote Irvin over Monk, and stressed that voters are schooled to ignore off the field stuff.

562687[/snapback]

You know...Chris Mortensen said the same thing yesterday on ESPN Radio. At least, he tried to sell Irvin over every other finalist. Given that Peter King (who seems to have been wrong about a lot of stuff over the years) was on ESPN radio, also, it makes a ton of sense that he's *say* he'd vote in Irvin over Monk.

I'm starting to like these "analysts" less & less these days.

Monk deserves to be in the Hall about 30 years before Irvin should be even considered.

I've said it before, the Monk issue is big here in DC and if the Skins had not gotten so far in the playoffs, it would be numero uno...

King has said time and again that he works to keep Monk outta the HOF as much as others work to get him in. His favorite story comes from when he was a beat writer at Newsday and all the Giants told him they feared Gary Clark more than Monk....hence he feels the 'second-best' receiver on a team shouldn't be the one going to Canton.

And the HOF is about stats and performances, not about Superbowls.  Or at least it should be.

562697[/snapback]

The Hall doesn't know what it wants to be. If it was all about stats, Lynn Swann wouldn't get in. If it was all about championships, Tommy McDonald wouldn't get in. When McDonald was inducted, I figured it was only a matter of time before Swann was, because they had run out of excuses. Both had compelling arguments for induction and both had been shelved numerous times before.

Monk won a Superbowl or two in his day.

And the HOF is about stats and performances, not about Superbowls.  Or at least it should be.

CW

562697[/snapback]

Yet Irvin still has more rings than Monk (3 vs 2) and his career was shorter. I hate Irvin as a person but on the field he was a great WR and that's why I think he deserves to be in the HOF. Don't get me wrong, Andre was great too. Yet if I had to start a team and choose one over the other, I would have taken Irvin as feel he was a better player. Reed will probably make the HOF he just isn't a 1st ballot type is all. Finally, I do have to point out that I feel that the HOF should be about impact on the game and not something that can be measured with stats alone.

Yeah I don't get that at all.  I'm not a Cowboy hater per say, but I don't see how Aikman is heads & shoulders above Moon either. 

To me the only certifiable lock in that group is White.

562694[/snapback]

To me White, Aikman and Thurman should be locks...Aikman is heads and shoulders above Warren Moon. Aikman, before Tom Brady, had the highest playoff win percentage, and went a three year period, in the playoffs, of near flawless performances. And, by the way, he got the three rings along the way.

Moon, on the other hand, put up great regular season numbers, as his offense dictated, but was pretty much a bust in the playoffs. Aikman was a "big game" QB, Warren was not. I liked Moon, but he really isn't even close to Aikman. I am not saying Moon doesn't ever belong in the HOF, but Aikman is a cut way above...

You know...Chris Mortensen said the same thing yesterday on ESPN Radio. At least, he tried to sell Irvin over every other finalist.

Monk deserves to be in the Hall about 30 years before Irvin should be even considered.

562715[/snapback]

Morty is afraid Irvin will go "gangsta" on him if he doesn't support his election to the hall.

Art Monk not being elected to the HOF is the biggest travisty of any in regard to deserving players not being let in.

I was at the HOF ceremony the year Jim Kelly was inducted....and Lynn Swann passed me in the hall wearing his Yellow blazer. I asked him if he stole the blazer from Art Monk. He sassed me and kept walking. :flirt:

Peter King and the AP are all morons for not calling Thurman Thomas a "headliner" on this class. Its hard to make comparisons between eras, so you kind of have to judge people against who they played against. Thomas is the *only* NFL Player to lead the League in Yards from Scrimmage for four straight years - not Jim Brown, not OJ Simpson, not Walter Payton, not Emmit Smith. Case closed - he should be a unaninmous pick.

JDG

CW

562691[/snapback]

Maybe cuz Irvin was a better(slightly) receiver than Reed. Reed had better stats than Lynn Swann-was he a better receiver??

Yes. But actually the key is that Reed and Irvin player in the same era. Therefore, comparing their stats is legitimate.

562929[/snapback]

Exactly. Reed was a much better receiver than Irvin.

Comparing the offenses of the two teams, there's a lot of similarities. Great QB, great RB, great OL. So how does Reed get ignored? Doesn't make sense, and I am tending to agree with the "Irvin's in the media more" angle. :P

CW

Maybe cuz Irvin was a better(slightly) receiver than Reed. Reed had better stats than Lynn Swann-was he a better receiver??

562927[/snapback]

Yes...

Certainly a more complete WR...Nothing against Swann, but Andre was a more complete Wide Out, and probably broke about a thousand more Tackles than Swann did in his career...

It's just my opinion, I know...And I think Irvin, Reed, and Monk should all get in...I think this exclusion by position (especially at WR), etc. is getting rediculous...

I also think the whole process is getting a bit rediculous...Down here on Charlotte Radio they were debating the Thurman Thomas issue...The concensus they came to was Hall Of Famer...yes...1st Ballot (they said Aikman and White were shoe in 1st Ballot)...probably not...It's just a complete joke that this is even being debated about TT, even by out-of-town idiots who obviously don't have the smarts to pull up his freaking Bio and read it...I've said it here before, 4 consecutive years leading the NFL in Yards from Scrimmage...No one did it before him...No one has done it since...8th ALL TIME in Yards from scrimmage...Think about that, 8th ALL TIME!...NFL MVP in 91...One of only three running backs (Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith) to rush for over 1,000 yards in 8 consecutive seasons and one of only three running backs (Walter Payton and Marcus Allen) to have over 400 receptions and 10,000 yards rushing...Not a shoe in 1st Ballot Hall Of Famer??? You have got to be kidding me...

I'm getting sick of the whole deal to be honest...Any writer who does not Vote for Thurman on this Ballot should have their Voting rights revoked on the spot...Period...End of story... :P