Marcus Vick is the perfect fit.....

I'm just looking to be a lightning rod for flame posts after my Vince post earlier. But I feel this is the truth.

We don't know what we have in J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb is just not the answer long-term. He's arguably the best backup in the league, but asking for much more out of him is pushing it.

You're all right, it's too early to give up on J.P. Losman. But the last thing we need right now is to tank this season too. If Marv decides that Losman isn't progressing and/or he's not the guy for Buffalo, we have Holcomb and we're back to square one; waiting on a QB in the 2007 draft.

But with Marcus Vick, he's f-cked up his situation so bad that he won't be picked until mid-2nd at the ABSOLUTE highest (most places say he can only hope to be picked in the 3rd). He's not going to be a starting QB anywhere. The best he can hope for is a team to take a chance on him that has uncertainties at QB so that MAYBE he can get some playing time.

This is perfect for Buffalo (and for Vick). We could draft a guy in most likely a 3rd that has 1st round talent. But since you picked him in the 3rd, nothing's expected and it won't cost you a lot of money. If we were to trade Nate for a 2nd, get a Comp pick for Pat Williams (like a 4th), and have our 3rd for Trav; it would be a risk we could afford. Even if we didn't trade Nate (only if we can't resign him), we should still get a comp for Pat. Especially since Denver got three 3rd's for losing 3 bum DT's last year.

He has some MAJOR character concerns, this is true. But so did a lot of players under Marv's wing. I could see Marv taking a chance on him if he's apologetic (even if it's fake) and Levy thinks he can change him.

In the long run, talent-wise; he's just too good to pass on with a 3rd and the fit is glove-like. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But the upside far outweighs the downside in my opinion.

Oh yeah...... flame away!

This guy has Maurice C written all over him. I would not waste a Day 1 pick on him. However, if he's there in, say, the 5th or 6th -- which he could be considering his stupid stomping activity -- he could be worth the slight risk.

Seriously, though, I just don't see the need to bother. Even if he were gifted enough to ever win the starting job -- I just don't see that he'd ever be a winning NFL QB -- and could be a locker room disaster. His only value, then, would be as a "slash" kind of player.

This guy has Maurice C written all over him.

LOL....I almost wrote the exact same thing.

Aside from the character issue, which is entirely enough justification to not even consider drafting him, have people really seen this guy play? He's not impressive. VA Tech's offense sucked this year. They were an overrated team that relied on their defense from day one.

As his brother has shown, you can only be moderately successful as a running QB if you have limited ability to get the ball to the recievers. And as Marcus is a less polished/experienced version of his brother, there is no way in hell he has the character or patience to learn how to be a better QB (not that he has the talent to succeed at the pro level anyway).

A Day 1 pick??? Just shoot me now!

Is "flame away!" code for "I want people to pay attention to me so I'm posting the dumbest thing I can think of to get a reaction" ?

559027[/snapback]

"Flame away" is code for "I know what i'm about to say isn't popular and will most likely be a lightning-rod for a-hole's like you, but it's my belief and I don't care".

"Flame away" is code for "I know what i'm about to say isn't popular and will most likely be a lightning-rod for a-hole's like you, but it's my belief and I don't care".

559051[/snapback]

After a week of Levy talking about character guys you bring up Marcus Vick. :unsure:

LOL....I almost wrote the exact same thing.

Aside from the character issue, which is entirely enough justification to not even consider drafting him, have people really seen this guy play?  He's not impressive.  VA Tech's offense sucked this year.  They were an overrated team that relied on their defense from day one.

As his brother has shown, you can only be moderately successful as a running QB if you have limited ability to get the ball to the recievers.  And as Marcus is a less polished/experienced version of his brother, there is no way in hell he has the character or patience to learn how to be a better QB (not that he has the talent to succeed at the pro level anyway).

A Day 1 pick???  Just shoot me now!

559038[/snapback]

Marcus Vick is a very good passer with a strong arm and good touch, not a running QB. He probably runs 4.4-4.5, which is light years slower than Michael. He throws a great deep ball.

His passing was very much a surprise this year because he has been such a turd off the field that he came into the season with very little experience. I don't think he's a Maurice Clarett, he doesn't have conditioning issues, and he's fresh off proving he can play. He has the potential to develop into a Steve Young type of QB, but he's going to have to see the light and there is no indication that he ever will.

If he is there in the third round, and we're looking at choosing Marcus Vick or another Ron Edwards or Coy Wire, cout me in because we have two 3's and I believe in drafting QB's in the mid-late rounds. If we had done that regularly during the Kelly years, we would have had a successor instead of getting in a position where they HAD to draft one, like they were with Todd Collins. There should always be a young QB being groomed in the organization. Shane Matthews as the #3 QB is absolute BS.

save that 3rd rounder for OLine or DT and use a later round pick on Michael Robinson

559142[/snapback]

Yep if you want to take a chance at least do it on a guy that LEAD a team. Vick if he's lucky will be about half the player Randle El is in Pit.

Marcus Vick is a very good passer with a strong arm and good touch, not a running QB.  He probably runs 4.4-4.5, which is light years slower than Michael.  He throws a great deep ball.

His passing was very much a surprise this year because he has been such a turd off the field that he came into the season with very little experience.  I don't think he's a Maurice Clarett, he doesn't have conditioning issues, and he's fresh off proving he can play.  He has the potential to develop into a Steve Young type of QB, but he's going to have to see the light and there is no indication that he ever will.

If he is there in the third round, and we're looking at choosing Marcus Vick or another Ron Edwards or Coy Wire, cout me in because we have two 3's and I believe in drafting QB's in the mid-late rounds.  If we had done that regularly during the Kelly years, we would have had a successor instead of getting in a position where they HAD to draft one, like they were with Todd Collins.  There should always be a young QB being groomed in the organization.  Shane Matthews as the #3 QB is absolute BS.

559095[/snapback]

I don't see where he's proven he can play. He only played one college season and wouldn't even be going pro if he hadn't been kicked out of school. If you throw out the games against totally overmatched opponents, he has very little experience against decent competition. And he played poorly against good defenses like NC State and Miami. He has a good arm, but I didn't see much evidence that he can consistantly hit recievers. As for not being a running QB, someone needs to inform him of that. He averaged more than 10 rushes per game this season. And in the big games? He had 17 carries against both Miami and FSU; both loses. (But I agree that he's not nearly as good a runner as his brother, so that makes his habit of bailing out even more troubling).

I've heard a couple people use the 'extra 3d round pick' line to justify questionable picks. I don't really agree with that philosophy. Each pick should be used for the best prospects and/or to address the biggest needs.

Let's get an O line first and then we can determine if JP has a future in Buffalo. Until that happens, there is no reason to spend a high pick on a QB -- espeically one with as many question marks as Vick.

I'm just looking to be a lightning rod for flame posts after my Vince post earlier. But I feel this is the truth.

In the long run, talent-wise; he's just too good to pass on with a 3rd and the fit is glove-like. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But the upside far outweighs the downside in my opinion.

Oh yeah...... flame away!

559023[/snapback]

You could be right. Marcus Vick - the "Perfect Fit" :unsure:

After a week of Levy talking about character guys you bring up Marcus Vick.  :unsure:

559053[/snapback]

too bad Marv will pass on "showboaters" like Steve Smith. Oh well, Smith probably would hurt our team more with those snow angels than with all those catches/TDs/yards anyway.