The one thing I don't like about TKO's game

The Tomcat

Don't get me wrong....I love TKO.......

But I have a problem with his blitzing skills...It seems that he gets taken completely out of the play a lot of times by single back blocks.

I know he's sacred around here but I don't get excited to see him coming in on the blitz like I did when Paup or Bennett were coming in off the edges.....I remember Bennett plowing thru running backs shoveing them into the play...complete mayhem....

Isn't that what Posey is supposed to be doing? I want Spikes out in the play taking heads off! :lol::doh:

Anyways....maybe I'm just being picky but I think he's a top-tier Lb and I want him to be complete....

Complete me TKO.....please :)

This is the least of our problems (particularly given the production of the D as a unit) and believe me we have problems on ST and O.

But I have a problem with his blitzing skills...It seems that he gets taken completely out of the play a lot of times by single back blocks.

I know he's sacred around here but I don't get excited to see him coming in on the blitz like I did when Paup or Bennett were coming in off the edges.....I remember Bennett plowing thru running backs shoveing them into the play...complete mayhem....

Isn't that what Posey is supposed to be doing? I want Spikes out in the play taking heads off!  :lol:  :doh:

Anyways....maybe I'm just being picky but I think he's a top-tier Lb and I want him to be complete....

39585[/snapback]

Isn't that what Posey is supposed to be doing? I want Spikes out in the play taking heads off!  :lol:  :lol:

39585[/snapback]

CB was the man!! :doh:

This is the least of our problems (particularly given the production of the D as a unit)

Thats my point...use the personel for their strengths....I just don't see this as a strength in his game......that was supposed to be a strength in Poseys game......

then again, wasn't TKO involved in the last play of Jacksonville? :)

maybe I should just shut up :doh: ....

I totally agree with you... I see the same with London Fletcher. Our Blitz packages are relatively ineffective. Our LB's can't shed off the blockers. Based on memory, the only true pressure we generate with the blitz is from the safety position, or from Posey.

I totally agree with you... I see the same with London Fletcher.  Our Blitz packages are relatively ineffective.  Our LB's can't shed off the blockers.  Based on memory, the only true pressure we generate with the blitz is from the safety position, or from Posey.

39794[/snapback]

McGee got a sack -- CB blitz.

Spikes isn't overrated -- but he's not a passrushing demon either. He's good at stuffing the run and covering the TE/RB and nailing them when they're near the ball. People yell at Spikes for the Jags TD at the end of the game, but should a LB really be expected to cover a WR? I still blame that catch on the other defenders in the area.

CW

I think the whole LB core is overrated. Spikes is good but not great. I expected to see him control a game with all the hype about him coming here. Fletcher get's 200 tackles per year. 150 of which were after a 4 yard gain. Posey? Why do you sign a 3-4 LB to play a completely different position in a 4-3? I just don't see the production that matches the reputation.

People yell at Spikes for the Jags TD at the end of the game, but should a LB really be expected to cover a WR?

If he's dropped into coverage or takes it upon himself to be "Johnny-on-the-spot" I expect him to turn his head and at least look for the ball. It was playable and he could have knocked it down had he been looking. Check out the photo of the catch...his hand is right in the WR's grill and Spikes is staring straight at the guy's chest. Of course, it never should have come down to that play, but I digress...

34-78-83 Posted Today, 11:44 AM

Maybe we should ask the Right Tackle of the Raiders (you know the one that took TKO down by the neck in the endzone?) if he is a concern as a pass rusher....

Great point. IMO Spikes is very good in coverage, and a great tackler like Fletcher. He's good at applying pressure on the QB, but he gets few sacks. Spikes has been a great addition to our defense, and I hope he plays the rest of his career with us.

You brought up a good point, Wasn't Posey supposed to be the one rushing the QB

I'd like to see TKO cover the RB not try to run through them. Blitz Posey more off the Line

With that said, very happy with the Denfense performance

If backs weren't capable of picking up linebackers on the blitz then everyone would blitz every down. Bennett was a better rusher than Spikes? What was his single season high? 5 maybe 6? Seems like the glory days are becoming a bit blurred and blown out of proportion.

39982[/snapback]

I don't want to confuse you with the FACTS....

however...some real quick stats...

1987 (played only 8 games) 8.5 sacks 7 qb pressures

1988 9.5 sacks

1991 9 sacks

5 time probowler......NOT BLURRED OR OUT OF PROPORTION