Elsewhere: Mike & The Mad Dog say Herman Edwards

When I was driving home, WFAN was saying Edwards is gone from the Jets for greener pastures in KC.

553845[/snapback]

KC will have to give up something for Herm. He is still under contract with the Jets.

Didn't the NFL recently disallow compensation for hiring away coaches under contract?  After Gruden went to Tampa, I think.

Maybe I'm mistaken, though.

553871[/snapback]

Nope, you are right. After the Gruden deal, the NFL outlawed the coaches for draft picks "trades". I think monetary compensation is allowed tho, but i'm not 100% on that part.

Nope, you are right. After the Gruden deal, the NFL outlawed the coaches for draft picks "trades". I think monetary compensation is allowed tho, but i'm not 100% on that part.

554041[/snapback]

Chiefs | Talks reportedly underway with the Jets about Edwards

Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:03:06 -0800

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports the New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs are reportedly discussing a deal that would allow Jets' head coach Herman Edwards to walk away from the last two years of his contract and replace retired head coach Dick Vermeil in Kansas City. The NFL Network first reported the discussions. The discussions were confirmed by a person with knowledge of the situation. "They're going on, and people in your building know that they're going on. Right now there is absolutely smoke and fire," said the source. The network reported that the Jets were discussing a compensation package for Edwards that included "middle-round picks." The talks apparently were part of an informal feeling-out process between the teams. Jets' general manager Terry Bradway had said earlier that he had not received an official call from the Chiefs. Chiefs' president Carl Peterson declined to address the Edwards situation Tuesday, Jan. 3, in a regularly scheduled news conference in Kansas City, saying, "I just would prefer to keep that confidential."

554051[/snapback]

I read that too Kelly, but look...

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/17/Bucs/NFL...aft_picks.shtml

TAMPA -- Jon Gruden led the Bucs to a franchise-record 12 victories, a division title and a berth in Sunday's NFC Championship Game against the Eagles. You would have to agree the trade Tampa Bay made with the Raiders for the rights to Gruden is an unqualified success.

Now such a deal is against league rules.

The league Thursday banned the type of trade that enabled the Bucs to sign Gruden. The new policy was announced in a memo to all 32 teams by commissioner Paul Tagliabue, league spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Tagliabue acted after the competition committee concluded that such coach-for-picks trades might be undermining the purpose of the draft.

The co-chairman of the competition committee is Bucs general manager Rich McKay, whose team has reaped the benefits of such a trade.

The Bucs ended a 36-day coaching search by trading two first-round picks, two second-round picks and $8-million to the Raiders for the rights to Gruden, who had a year left on his contract.

Three weeks ago, the Bucs attempted to receive compensation from the Cowboys for the rights to hire Bill Parcells, revealing the two-time Super Bowl-winning coach had signed a four-year contract to coach Tampa Bay a year ago.

But the contract never was submitted to the league office for approval and Tagliabue ruled no compensation was owed.

McKay declined comment Thursday.

The league's owners can decide whether to restore the right to trade draft picks for coaches at their annual meeting March 22-26 in Phoenix.

The league's new policy is not restricted to head coaches. It prevents draft picks from being used to sign anyone under contract with another team, including assistants, front-office personnel or scouts.

Gruden is the latest success story for teams that have been bold enough to package draft picks to hire coaches under contract with other teams.

In 1997, the Jets sent draft picks to New England to acquire the rights to Parcells. Two years later, Parcells led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game.

In 2000, the Patriots sent draft picks to the Jets to hire coach Bill Belichick, who was under contract. Last season, Belichick led New England to the Super Bowl XXXVI title.

This is not the first time the competition committee recommended the league reconsider its policy of swapping picks for coaches. Three years ago it presented its concerns to ownership about teams attempting to receive compensation for assistants.

After firing Tony Dungy and having Parcells renege on a deal to coach Tampa Bay and remain retired, Bucs owners targeted coaches under contract.

First, they offered the 49ers a package of undisclosed draft picks for the rights to Steve Mariucci, who ultimately walked away from an offer to become coach and general manager.

That prompted Bucs vice presidents Joel and Bryan Glazer to call Raiders general partner Al Davis and offer a king's ransom of top picks for the rights to Gruden.

Both teams benefited. The Raiders host Tennessee in the AFC Championship Game while the Bucs travel to Philadelphia for the NFC title game.

I read that too Kelly, but look...

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/17/Bucs/NFL...aft_picks.shtml

554592[/snapback]

Not sure what to make of it. I would think that Newsday would know the rules even if they never follow any other kind of rules. Perhaps it was such huge deals (multiple #1's and millions in cash they decided against, vs a mid round pick or picks), but how would you gauge that? I really don't know the answer.