Aaron Schobel finished 5th in NFL in sacks

Schobel is overrated as far as I'm concerned and most of his sacks over the last 3 years have been against one or two teams.  He dissapears the rest of the season.

549480[/snapback]

Three years ago, you would have been right, or close. Last year, you would have been slightly off the mark. This year, you are dead wrong.

absolutely...Schobel is absent and puts no pressure on for the majority of plays. I would rate him as perhaps barely above average due to his motor.

549483[/snapback]

No player in the league puts pressure on the majority of plays...

No player in the league puts pressure on the majority of plays...

549490[/snapback]

Yeah--I agree with you--but --as I just said---he puts NO pressure on the majority of plays.-Meaning that he is generally a non-factor.-Good to great DEs consistently (more often than not)-are putting SOME pressure on the QB.

Where has anyone said that Aaron Schobel was better than any of these players? It's a reasonable thing to post some actual facts and statistics about a player to say he is in good company, is it not? Or should we heretofore not compare any player on the Bills to any player on another team unless that team is willing to trade straight up for him?

549487[/snapback]

Its not reasonable to compare Schobel to those players...hence the sarcasm making use of your stats. You use the stats-so its not reasonable for me to uswe them as well?

That's a great line of thinking: "will they be wrong if an outlandish hypothetical happens next year?" I prefer to judge the extension based on what has actually occurred not some fantasy.

Doh.

Point was...TD was a genious now he is being fired. MM was a great coach building a dynasty after 9-7...now he is a goat. Bledsoe was a hero in 2003, best move ever, Bledsoe was a turd in 2004. We are lucky to keep Jerry Gray, any team would be fortunate to have him as head coach in 2004...in 2005 we Fire Jerry Gray he is worthless. Its amazing how fast people change aroudn here. My hypothetical question of Schobel getting 4 sacks thus making the signing wrong was just an extension of this theory...

Yeah--I agree with you--but --as I just said---he puts NO pressure on the majority of plays.-Meaning that he is generally a non-factor.-Good to great DEs consistently (more often than not)-are putting SOME  pressure on the QB.

549498[/snapback]

Not really. Watch someone like Freeney for a while. There are tons of plays where he doesn't seem to be much of a factor (though, in reality, he is a factor because the offense has to focus on him) and then WHAM, he makes a big play.

I'm not saying Schobel is as good as Freeney. (I don't think he is.) But I agree with Kelly. He's much closer to being a topnotch DE this year than previously. There aren't too many guys in the league I would trade him for - maybe 6 or 7.

Not really. Watch someone like Freeney for a while. There are tons of plays where he doesn't seem to be much of a factor (though, in reality, he is a factor because the offense has to focus on him) and then WHAM, he makes a big play.

I'm not saying Schobel is as good as Freeney. (I don't think he is.) But I agree with Kelly. He's much closer to being a topnotch DE this year than previously. There aren't too many guys in the league I would trade him for - maybe 6 or 7.

549507[/snapback]

well.....you do make SOME sense...-but Schobel is too often a non-factor...and the Bills generally only get pressure on when they blitz. I think he has gone from slightly below average to average--and that he is NOT a big time passrusher--or even close to it.

Doh.

Point was...TD was a genious now he is being fired.  MM was a great coach building a dynasty after 9-7...now he is a goat.  Bledsoe was a hero in 2003, best move ever, Bledsoe was a turd in 2004.  We are lucky to keep Jerry Gray, any team would be fortunate to have him as head coach in 2004...in 2005 we Fire Jerry Gray he is worthless.  Its amazing how fast people change aroudn here.  My hypothetical question of Schobel getting 4 sacks thus making the signing wrong was just an extension of this theory...

549506[/snapback]

Ahh, I see. Yeah, I agree with you. I'm not a fan of either Donahoe but that doesn't mean he hasn't made some good moves with the team.

Its not reasonable to compare Schobel to those players...hence the sarcasm making use of your stats. You use the stats-so its not reasonable for me to uswe them as well?

549502[/snapback]

Apparently you werent watching the games much this year then, the Bills or otherwise. Schobel was repeatedly getting pressure this season. Some semblance of a pressure very consistently. Schobel also got timely sacks this year, and didnt get his sacks in bunches against inferior opponents like he has done in the past, but rather getting a consistent rush and single or two sack games against some good lines and tackles. And for what it's worth, I would bet the Giants would trade Strahan right now for Schobel, and the Jets may trade Abraham for him, too. Considering their age, and their contract situation respectively.

Schobel is a solid player. Nothing more, nothing less. I would love to somehow land one of the top 2 ends in the draft to play on the left side. He can't do it by himself(who can) but he is a player who could form a nice tandem with someone with natural pass rushing ability on the other side. Put me down onthe Mario or MK bandwagon by the way.....

Apparently you werent watching the games much this year then, the Bills or otherwise. Schobel was repeatedly getting pressure this season. Some semblance of a pressure very consistently. Schobel also got timely sacks this year, and didnt get his sacks in bunches against inferior opponents like he has done in the past, but rather getting a consistent rush and single or two sack games against some good lines and tackles. And for what it's worth, I would bet the Giants would trade Strahan right now for Schobel, and the Jets may trade Abraham for him, too. Considering their age, and their contract situation respectively.

549520[/snapback]

don't forget what should have been a game ending pick by him against miami in the debacle.

549520[/snapback]

Then I guess our HORRIBLE D is just the result of old safeties ,bad coaching and injuries.....-And our inability to stop ANYONE on 3rd downs wasnt Schobels fault at all.Guess I should have been watching closer this year.

Then I guess our HORRIBLE D is just the result of old safeties ,bad coaching and injuries.....-And our inability to stop ANYONE on 3rd downs wasnt Schobels fault at all.Guess I should have been watching closer this year.

549548[/snapback]

Yeah, you should have watched closer if you think Schobel is a weak spot on this team. He was the best player on D this year.

549520[/snapback]

Actually, he did not have a sack in 8 games this season and had 4 games with 2 sacks, so it seems that his sacks largely did in fact come in bunches once again. In games 2-6, he had none. He had two in the opener against the Texans. He had two against Nick Kaczur of the Pats, a rookie starting only his 1st or 2nd game (he got another one later in the year vs Kazcur). I don't think Willie Roaf played the next week for the Chiefs, another game where he got two sacks. To his credit, he did have two more against Levi Jones, and Jones has become an excellent LT.

Actually,  he did not have a sack in 8 games this season and had 4 games with 2 sacks,  so it seems that his sacks largely did in fact come in bunches once again.  In games 2-6,  he had none.  He had two in the opener against the Texans.    He had two against Nick Kaczur of the Pats,  a rookie starting only his 1st or 2nd game (he got another one later in the year vs Kazcur).  I don't think Willie Roaf played the next week for the Chiefs,  another game where he got two sacks.  To his credit,  he did have two more against Levi Jones,  and Jones has become an excellent LT.

549567[/snapback]

don't forget the clutch int against the dolphins.

549548[/snapback]

No, Schobel, Fletcher and McGee were simply bright spots on an otherwise horrible D. Schobel, YOU would probably be surprised, got more of his sacks on third down than any other down. He got 6 at home and 6 on the road, 7 out of 12 in the second half of games. He had four two sack games and four one sack games. As opposed to, say, Julius Peppers, who had ZERO sacks on third down the entire year, 8 of his 10.5 on first down, 7.5 of them in the first half. And 3 of his 10.5 in one game, against Drew Bledsoe no less, which was a loss.

Actually,  he did not have a sack in 8 games this season and had 4 games with 2 sacks,  so it seems that his sacks largely did in fact come in bunches once again.  In games 2-6,  he had none.  He had two in the opener against the Texans.    He had two against Nick Kaczur of the Pats,  a rookie starting only his 1st or 2nd game (he got another one later in the year vs Kazcur).  I don't think Willie Roaf played the next week for the Chiefs,  another game where he got two sacks.  To his credit,  he did have two more against Levi Jones,  and Jones has become an excellent LT.

549567[/snapback]

Freeney did not have a sack in seven games, and half a sack in another.

Abraham did not have a sack in seven games and only had one two sack game.

Peppers did not have a sack in ten games, and had two three sack games one against Bledsoe.

Strahan did not have a sack in eight games and had virtuallly the same sequence as Schobel

Some of these guys like Feeney are playing on good teams which means they have their team has the lead more often, and the other team is forced to pass. This increases their sack count too I'm sure. For Shobel to have done as well as he has on a team with as poor a record makes him more impressive. Is he the best in the league? No, but as someone else said, he's probably somewhere between the 5th and 10 best end, which is about where he's being paid too.

549567[/snapback]

549567[/snapback]

If the De position was strictly about sacks, then your point would make sense here because it cetainly backs up the opening post, but it isn't just about sacks.