Mort just gave a scathing...

IndyMark

With all due respect, what have you seen over the last 10 years that some of us have not? 

A report like this does not surprise me based on exactly your logic of "..what I have seen over the last 10 years".

527544[/snapback]

I've seen a WR that cares more about winning than anything else. Sure he cares about his catches, all WRs do, but in his 10 years here I've seen him B word about it mildely after a loss and that's it. Why the sudden change in how he handles it? I'd guess it's because there's more to this story than Mort reported.

What have you seen out of Moulds that is anything like this?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a WR that cares more about winning than anything else.  Sure he cares about his catches, all WRs do, but in his 10 years here I've seen him B word about it mildely after a loss and that's it.  Why the sudden change in how he handles it?  I'd guess it's because there's more to this story than Mort reported.

527562[/snapback]

Earlier in the week, someone brought up an article from the Peerless Price days where Moulds said something like, "If using me as a decoy frees up Price, keep feeding him the ball all day long."

CW

And if it is even remotely accurate then Moulds deserves to be "TO'd" this season.  Apparently, this "10 yr vet" acted like a spoiled toddler last week and disregarded the coaches during and after the game.

I would not have anticipated such an overt disregard for his team by Moulds, but he did not come off as attractively as those on this board have suggested.

He deserved what he got and should feel lucky RW likes him or it could have been more.

527526[/snapback]

I think anything less than a report saying Moulds has a halo over his head and walks on water would be cause for many to disregard the report.

On the other hand, those same posters are ready to string Mike Mularkey up on the slightest of evidence.

The truth is that we don't know what happened. I tend to side with the Bills' position for the simple reason that it makes no logical sense for them to suspend Eric Moulds without some cause.

527562[/snapback]

First, admittedly, I do not spend a whole lot of time "observing" NFL players. That said, to respond to your inquiry, my logic is thus:

EM actions do not surprise me because he is an NFL player. As such, he is not exempt from stupid, selfish, and maybe slightly detrimental behavior. It is not like he has earned 'citizen or philanthropist' of the year awards the ten years he has been in Buffalo. He has been solid for about 5 of the ten. The first couple were so -so and the last couple have been so - so.

He has spent 10 years in the league and has had, oh I do not know, 6 quarterbacks. Thusly, he is probably (a) frustrated (b) jealous © tired.

He probably looks at Marvin Harrison and repeatedly thinks to himself "if only".

Therefore, watching a 2nd year guy like Evans get three TD's in the first half probably sent him over the edge.

Not what one would expect from an 'exemplary' veteran, no matter the background. As my boss says to those who repeatedly B word, "you can always leave".

EM apparently made some stupid choices and has to suffer the consequences (like it should be).

Earlier in the week, someone brought up an article from the Peerless Price days where Moulds said something like, "If using me as a decoy frees up Price, keep feeding him the ball all day long."

CW

527565[/snapback]

Speculation. Yawn. <_<

Speculation. Yawn. <_<

527576[/snapback]

quote from the article

With coverage focused around Moulds, the sixth-year veteran admits that a path to team success in the last half of the 2001 season might involve capitalizing on opponents' defensive game plans and using the two-time Pro Bowler as a decoy.

"Every week, teams are going to pay attention to me and try to take me out of the game," Moulds said. "If they give you the opportunity to throw 20 passes out of the backfield, take it -- we'll win. If teams are going to come out and double-team me, that's fine."

"I'd rather win than have a 90-catch season."

here's your speculation

(a) Moulds, upon seeing Evans catch his 3rd TD, took himself out of the game.

(b) The Bills trainer (according to Mort) never had an injury to Moulds reported to him during or even after the game.

© A coach (WR? I cannot recall) requested him to go in the game and he refused.

(d) During half time meetings/adjustments, Moulds was sitting in his locker listening to music and disregarded coaches.

(e) Moulds failed to attend a meeting with MM on Monday morning.

That is what I recall.  Again, even if it is not 100% accurate, any one of those deeds would deserve the punishment.

527531[/snapback]

Now we know what Tom Donahoe's version of events is.

If this was the whole of what happened, Eric Moulds would have been suspended for the rest of the season if not cut outright.

It is obvious that Mort is TD's and MM's mouth piece.

These guys are trying to trash EM (just like they have done with others - even a guy we did not even draft).

Was MM lying when he said that he had a great talk with EM on Monday or when he said that EM never showed up???

I have a bit of inside information on this (but I am not going to bother reporting it because posters tend to trash others for quoting unnamed sources). It does really make any difference at this point. People already have their minds made up.

Isn't that the truth! :doh:

I have a bit of inside information on this (but I am not going to bother reporting it because posters tend to trash others for quoting unnamed sources).  It does really make any difference at this point.  People already have their minds made up.

527637[/snapback]

quote from the article

With coverage focused around Moulds, the sixth-year veteran admits that a path to team success in the last half of the 2001 season might involve capitalizing on opponents' defensive game plans and using the two-time Pro Bowler as a decoy.

"Every week, teams are going to pay attention to me and try to take me out of the game," Moulds said. "If they give you the opportunity to throw 20 passes out of the backfield, take it -- we'll win. If teams are going to come out and double-team me, that's fine."

"I'd rather win than have a 90-catch season."

here's your speculation

527598[/snapback]

So he was a 'team player" in 2001? Should someone remind you or he that it is currently the 2005 season.

That might help. Just because he said something in 2001 means almost next to nothing compared to his actions in 2005.

Great justification, 4 year old evidence. :doh:

It is obvious that Mort is TD's and MM's mouth piece.

These guys are trying to trash EM (just like they have done with others - even a guy we did not even draft).

Was MM lying when he said that he had a great talk with EM on Monday or when he said that EM never showed up???

I have a bit of inside information on this (but I am not going to bother reporting it because posters tend to trash others for quoting unnamed sources).  It does really make any difference at this point.  People already have their minds made up.

527637[/snapback]

No question about it, someone in the Bills Organization made sure Moulds got this thrashing from Mort concerning this "In House" mess...And it does not surprise me at all, desperate times and such...This will do nothing to sway Public opinion though, at least not much...Minds are set based FAR more on Wins and Losses than the Moulds situation anyway, which IMO was just some serious gas thrown on a growing fire subsequently aided by the rocket fuel of the Miami loss...I think the Bills Brass recognizes the serious nature of this Fire which is now raging out of control amongst the Buffalo Bills community... So some good old fashioned spin was necessary...

And concerning "Inside Information" Posts on a Message Board it's been my experience that in certain cases these types of Posts have been far more truthful than anything you can read in the regular Media...Of coarse the legions of idiots who Post false info for their daily "Look At Me" make it difficult to sift through the garbage to find the gold...Nonetheless...recently on another Forum area I frequent for a certain Online Gaming community it was an "Inside Info" Post that perfectly predicted some huge, sweeping changes in the Game...That "Inside Info" Post was flamed pretty seriously, and it turned out to be exactly the truth and nothing but it...So you never really know... :doh:

So he was a 'team player" in 2001?  Should someone remind you or he that it is currently the 2005 season.

That might help.  Just because he said something in 2001 means almost next to nothing compared to his actions in 2005.

Great justification, 4 year old evidence.  :doh:

527688[/snapback]

Of course, you're leaving out the fact that YOU asked the question of what in his 10 year career we've seen that would make us think he wouldn't do this? So somebody brings up an example and you reply with, "yeah that was 4 years ago".

Pure genius.

Here's what Mort said. It was very skewed towards the front office position:

Moulds took himself out after Evans scored 3 1st qtr touchdowns.

He refused to return.  He twice said "I don't have to do what the head coach says"

He reported no injury during the game.

At half time, he  listened to music in his locker instead of the coaches.

He failed to show for the monday meeting with Mularkey.

The Bills have sent a letter saying anymore incidents and the bills will go after a portion of the signing bonus.

Like I said, it seemed heavily biased, especially the Evans comment becasue that leads you to believe that the only reason he took himself out was because he was jealous.

527533[/snapback]

Skewed? Are you a moron? You can't skew facts, which he is reporting. You can skew an opinion to one side or another, but not facts. The guy is a journalist, not a Conservative on some radio show.

Bottomline is, Moulds got what he deserved. Can't stand to see your replacement ourshine you, so cry like a baby. See ya..........

And if it is even remotely accurate then Moulds deserves to be "TO'd" this season.  Apparently, this "10 yr vet" acted like a spoiled toddler last week and disregarded the coaches during and after the game.

I would not have anticipated such an overt disregard for his team by Moulds, but he did not come off as attractively as those on this board have suggested.

He deserved what he got and should feel lucky RW likes him or it could have been more.

527526[/snapback]

TD probably fed him the "story". Sorry, Tom....can't save yourself via your media buds. :doh:

TD probably fed him the "story".  Sorry, Tom....can't save yourself via your media buds.  :doh:

527993[/snapback]

That logic stands to reason that Mortensen ONLY relies on TD for his info. I'm guessing that Mort never asks players or agents for their version, right?. Or if he does, he still consults TD for writing the story, because he's ESPN's bestest buddy in the whole wide world.

Never mind the fact that there are 31 other GMs, hundreds of coaches and thousands of players that reporters need info from to do their jobs. How much access do you think Mort will get if he reports a blatant lie that is a PR puff piece from management? His report was not in th evein, "This is what may have happened, as told to me by my bestest buddy TD." It was, "This is what I learned by speaking with many people."

That logic stands to reason that Mortensen ONLY relies on TD for his info.  I'm guessing that Mort never asks players or agents for their version, right?.  Or if he does, he still consults TD for writing the story, because he's ESPN's bestest buddy in the whole wide world.

Never mind the fact that there are 31 other GMs, hundreds of coaches and thousands of players that reporters need info from to do their jobs.  How much access do you think Mort will get if he reports a blatant lie that is a PR puff piece from management?  His report was not in th evein, "This is what may have happened, as told to me by my bestest buddy TD."  It was, "This is what I learned by speaking with many people."

528059[/snapback]

Not quite certain why the other 31 GMs and hundreds of coaches would B word Mort out for reporting their spin on things. As for the players, they don't have a vote when it comes to PR puff pieces.

Skewed? Are you a moron? You can't skew facts, which he is reporting. You can skew an opinion to one side or another, but not facts. The guy is a journalist, not a Conservative on some radio show.

Bottomline is, Moulds got what he deserved. Can't stand to see your replacement ourshine you, so cry like a baby. See ya..........

527838[/snapback]

Are you a moron? It was a hatchet job the whole way. How on earth does Mort know that Moulds took himself out because Evans got 3 TDs? That is what he implied.

Moulds missed the monday meeting with MM? Didn't MM say he had a got meeting with Moulds on Monday?

Quoting a coach who was quoting Moulds doesn't make it a fact. About the only fact is that the Bills sent Moulds the letter about the signing bonus.

Bills looked great without Moulds though eh?

Because he thinks like a rational human being at times, and thinks, as I do, that Moulds has been a great player for 10 years and mostly a great teammate and a great Bill, and that he made a monumental mistake last Sunday that is intolerable. But it shouldn't ruin his career here. And that the one game suspension for his brief, heinous, one-day snitfit fit the crime.

527551[/snapback]

dog, i agree with you about pretty much everything in this case, but i have to ask: did mort report that in the 2 weeks before the miami game, the bills front office told PFW that moulds was losing speed, and did he mention that presumably that same front office leaked to a number of publications that moulds was going to be cut? just asking. because if he didn't, then his reporting is prima facie biased. that surrounding context stuff is definitely part of this story. of course, if what he said did in fact happen, than that's pretty bad stuff on moulds part and in no way should moulds be excuse.

by the way, someone should be fired this week after that performance today. that's what organizations do.

Not quite certain why the other 31 GMs and hundreds of coaches would B word Mort out for reporting their spin on things.  As for the players, they don't have a vote when it comes to PR puff pieces.

528120[/snapback]

Notice Mort works for ESPN and not NFL network - he needs access to players as much as coaches. He's not going to get far if he spins management's PR, as players would cut him off. Any reporter knows the game very well, and will very rarely be a media shill for management.