Peter King on Nate Clements

PromoTheRobot

Buffalo CB Nate Clements. If you want to see a textbook example of how to play tight-coverage at corner against a good quarterback, watch Clements reading Kansas City's signal-caller Trent Green in the third quarter. The stats will say five tackles, one pass-defended, no interceptions. But the guy played big. Green knows. When's the last time he put three points on the board.

Funny, I watched the same game (at RWS) and saw Nate make no plays, except complain about an Offensive PI non-call. Not a word about Angelo Crowell, or London Fletcher, or Aaron Schoebel, three guys who played out of their minds.

But hey, Peter King sees all...knows all. :lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Avtq...cnnsi&type=lgns

P.S....Peter's hair looks like it's held on with an elastic band.

PTR

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo CB Nate Clements. If you want to see a textbook example of how to play tight-coverage at corner against a good quarterback, watch Clements reading Kansas City's signal-caller Trent Green in the third quarter. The stats will say five tackles, one pass-defended, no interceptions. But the guy played big. Green knows. When's the last time he put three points on the board.

Funny, I watched the same game (at RWS) and saw Nate make no plays, except complain about an Offensive PI non-call.  Not a word about Angelo Crowell, or London Fletcher, or Aaron Schoebel, three guys who played out of their minds.

But hey, Peter King sees all...knows all.  :lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Avtq...cnnsi&type=lgns

P.S....Peter's hair looks like it's held on with an elastic band.

PTR

503280[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. Nate did make one very nice play on an end-around, recognizing the play and keeping contain rather than following the decoy receiver away from the play. I guess he didn't have his name called much because his coverage was so good...

Nate Clements is maybe my favorite Bills player, but even I think he is being way overrated at this point. His name never came up as one of the elite DB's in the leauge, until this off season, when he started getting mentioned as the best available corner, in next years' free agent crop....people (Bills fans especially) really ran with it. He is a very good player, but, IMO, is still way too erratic to be considered the best, by anyone but himself. In fact, I would dare say, Terrance McGee has outplayed him at corner....

Lets' not over-inflate his value, and hope we can re-sign him!

If we lose Nate some of you will finally realize how good this guy is. You will realize it when McGee tries to step into the #1 and whomever becomes the #2.

If it happens they had better be getting a pass rush.

503313[/snapback]

Oh, I agree, he is very good. I just am not sure what he did to become "the best". Personally, I can take it when one of our guys is "very good" as opposed to "the best". I really hope we keep him (although it does not look hopeful)...what I like more about his game than his coverage abilties, is his "big play" ability.

I've never thought he was "the best" nor am I fan of his celebrations, but he is a complete player. McGee is just as good at covering the deep ball, but he gets beat a lot more often on the intermediate/post stuff than Clements.

Other than the Oakland game, I think they've both done a fine job when you consider they've been left on an island without a real good pass-rush.

I agree with "e-dog" ...

... if we lose Nate Clements, then you will TRULY see how good he is. The few times you have to complain about the secondary every other game or so will become EVERY game on every other series. I personally believe Clements carries that secondary.

503342[/snapback]

Well you personally believe right. Clements is the cog to our secondary, and regardless of what some people think he's a top 5 corner in the nfl. I compare his game to that of Washington Corner Shawn Springs who I believe is the best corner in the league when healthy, and Clements is right up there with him. You wanna complain about people being overhyped watch Champ Bailey every once in awhile.

Every corner now and then will get beat. No corner in this league will shut a wr down week in and week out, and sometimes the wr's they get beat by make you pull out your hair, but the fact is Nate Clements is the most consistent cornerback in this league when healthy, and if he leaves unless adequatly replaced by a great pass rush will be sorely missed. Mcgee is a nice #2 corner but he's no Nate Clements

If we lose Nate some of you will finally realize how good this guy is. You will realize it when McGee tries to step into the #1 and whomever becomes the #2.

503313[/snapback]

You got that right!

503313[/snapback]

Agreed, eyedog...

unfortunately, I am no longer confident that TD can afford to bring him back,

thanks to the messy upcoming dead cap hits with MW & Moulds,

not to mention some less expensive ones like Vincent and (maybe) Adams. :lol:

Regardless of his unquestioned talent level, some points to consider..

1. Is Clements worth 60+ Mil ( He wants Champ Bailey $$) and a huge hit on your cap?

2. Since the Bills are a team needing an obvious influx of talent on both the O and D Line, is Clements the player you devote your big $$ to, leaving the lines in their present state ?

3. Isn't your best Pass defense a good pass rush ?

4. If every teams RB is gaining 100 + yards against us, why do we need to devote 60+ Mil to a CB ? To make tackles 15 yards downfield ? He isn't part of the front 7.

Logical thinking sucks..

1. Is Clements worth 60+ Mil ( He wants Champ Bailey $$) and a huge hit on your cap?

2. Since the Bills are a team needing an obvious influx of talent on both the O and D Line, is Clements the player you devote your big $$ to, leaving the lines in their present state ?

3.  Isn't your best Pass defense a good pass rush ?

4.  If every teams RB is gaining 100 + yards against us, why do we need to devote 60+ Mil to a CB ? To make tackles 15 yards downfield ?  He isn't part of the front 7. 

Logical thinking sucks..

503424[/snapback]

The secondary has somehow also survived losing Winfield. Sure, anyone would like to keep him, but someone else is going to come up with the big money. Then again with our current staff, who knows?

3.  Isn't your best Pass defense a good pass rush ?

4.  If every teams RB is gaining 100 + yards against us, why do we need to devote 60+ Mil to a CB ? To make tackles 15 yards downfield ?  He isn't part of the front 7. 

Logical thinking sucks..

503424[/snapback]

This debate is going to make for an interesting (or boring, depending on your point of view) offseason.

Imo, Clements is a superb corner; one of the best. It will be awfully hard to replace him under any circumstances. That said, 60 million dollars? I for one can't see it, nor do I think the franchise tag is a good idea UNLESS he is tagged and traded.

Woodson was tagged, and simply signed on the dotted line for a GUARANTEED 10 million, all of which counted on the raiders cap.

Imo, this is where GMs need working relationships with certain agents. TD might need some cooperation to make a "tag and trade" possible.

Until I am convinced otherwise, I am thinking that an ideal scenario would be to tag NC, and trade him for a first round pick ala the Peerless deal, if of course there are any takers. Again, losing him would hurt, but having two 1sts and two 3rds lends itself to a ton of good possibilities.

Jmo.

Funny, I watched the same game (at RWS) and saw Nate make no plays, except complain about an Offensive PI non-call.  Not a word about Angelo Crowell, or London Fletcher, or Aaron Schoebel, three guys who played out of their minds.

But hey, Peter King sees all...knows all. 

When you don't hear a CB's name during the game, that is a good thing.

The start of the thread is pretty amusing. "He didn't make any plays." "Except for that one." "And that other one." "Oh, and that other one." "And KC only scored 3 points." :lol:

Agreed that I'm not sure he's worth top-3 money, but he's a top-notch CB. I wouldn't be upset if we did re-sign him.

CW