Peter King on Nate Clements

PromoTheRobot

We're not in cap hell at all. Just because you have difficult decisions to make, like whether you want to pay a player 10 million a year, doesn't mean you're in cap hell. We're actually in very good shape overall as far as the cap goes. We just have tough decisions to make on a couple players, one good, two not so good, that are in tricky salary years.

504115[/snapback]

Thats good to know. That being the case it really isn't too tricky then.

You pay the players that are players and you get rid of the bums that are getting paid and can't play.

I really don't care what it takes as for as dumping any or all of Vincent, Milloy, Posey, Fletcher, Adams, Moulds, mikey, Teague, and B. Anderson.

There has to be a way and enough money there to get Nate signed.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats good to know. That being the case it really isn't too tricky then.

You pay the players that are players and you get rid of the bums that are getting paid and can't play.

I really don't care what it takes as for as dumping any or all of Vincent, Milloy, Posey, Fletcher, Adams, Moulds, mikey, Teague, and B. Anderson.

There has to be a way and enough money there to get Nate signed.

504123[/snapback]

There is enough money to sign Nate if they want to sign him and think he is worth 9 plus million. And like other posters have eluded to, the 9-10 mil number isn't just a stand alone decision, like "Is Nate worth 9-10 mil as a DB?", it is, "Is Nate worth 9-10 million in 2006 to the Buffalo Bills and what would they get for that 9-10 mil to address other positions if they didn't re-sign him?" It's not unlike buying a used car. You may think a Mercedes is worth 25K but not 30K. Someone else may think it's worth 30K and buy it. You may think it's worth 30K but you'd be better off buying a used Celica for 15K and a used Minivan for 15K because your family needs one and would be better served. It's not just can they play. Nate is probably worth 60 mil as a CB in this league. He may not be worth 60 mil to the Bills if King and Greer step up, McGee continues to excel and we can get a damn good DT for 20 mil, a terrific OT for 30 mil and a solid OG for 10 mil.

ok, i admit i am embellishing, but you get my point.

why in hell are we talking about "cap hits" in year five of this regime, with guys who were ostensibly signed to take us to superbowl!?  this roster is springing leaks faster than TD can plug them!!

504117[/snapback]

Teams are always talking about cap hits. The Patriots after three super bowls were worried about a 10 mil cap hit to Ty Law. The Colts were worried about a cap hit to E. James. The Seahawks were worried about a cap hit to Shaun Alexander. The Eagles wouldn't pay Westbrook. The Vikings didn't want to spend the money on Randy Moss. Some of those players stayed and some were let go.

The way I see it is you get Clements locked up with McGee and they have their corners for the next 5-6 years, and damn good ones.

The holes on the O@D lines are gonna be filled through the draft, so they won't be making big, big money. I honestly don't believe they will bringing any bigtime fa's into Buffalo like a Hutchinson, so imo use the money on a real player who is still young and coming into his best football.

I agree with "e-dog" ...

... if we lose Nate Clements, then you will TRULY see how good he is. The few times you have to complain about the secondary every other game or so will become EVERY game on every other series. I personally believe Clements carries that secondary.

503342[/snapback]

Nate has a good PR guy.

His play on the field is far from a shut down corner.

We're not in cap hell at all. Just because you have difficult decisions to make, like whether you want to pay a player 10 million a year, doesn't mean you're in cap hell. We're actually in very good shape overall as far as the cap goes. We just have tough decisions to make on a couple players, one good, two not so good, that are in tricky salary years.

504115[/snapback]

Not yet. But if the wrong moves are made on those tough decisions, we sure can be.

Nate Clements is maybe my favorite Bills player, but even I think he is being way overrated at this point.  His name never came up as one of the elite DB's in the leauge, until this off season, when he started getting mentioned as the best available corner, in next years' free agent crop....people (Bills fans especially) really ran with it.  He is a very good player, but, IMO, is still way too erratic to be considered the best, by anyone but himself.  In fact, I would dare say, Terrance McGee has outplayed him at corner....

Lets' not over-inflate his value, and hope we can re-sign him!

503312[/snapback]

I think he is a very good corner but I don't think he's worthy of Jonas Jennings' type money just because he is the only UFA DB next year. We've got other problems that his money might be able to fix.

The secondary has somehow also survived losing Winfield. Sure, anyone would like to keep him, but someone else is going to come up with the big money. Then again with our current staff, who knows?

503451[/snapback]

Great point! Winfiled and big Pat havn't done much for Minnisuposta.