describe the comeback game

hootie1

I am working on a novel, and the main character is a Bills fan. I want to include a description of the comeback game, with mention of a few key plays. Which would you all include? I have not seen the game since it happened and need some help!

The one play that stands out in my mind is the onside kick. Doing that so early in the second half was just so "go for broke" that for me, it was the hallmark play. Do you agree? What other plays would you include?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am working on a novel, and the main character is a Bills fan. I want to include a description of the comeback game, with mention of a few key plays. Which would you all include? I have not seen the game since it happened and need some help!

The one play that stands out in my mind is the onside kick. Doing that so early in the second half was just so "go for broke" that for me, it was the hallmark play. Do you agree? What other plays would you include?

494987[/snapback]

Beebe going out of bounds and back in for one TD (shoulda been called back)

Reeds sliding catch in the end zone

Interception to open the overtime period

The game only being on the radio.... :blink:

BTW -- if you're looking to have this published at some point, you can't actually use any of the real plays (or players) without permission from the NFL. Something to keep in mind.

CW

You need to include the fact that if you polled Buffalo, you'd find that 350,000 people were at the game, and ALL of them stayed the entire time...

(altho the stadium in the 2nd half begged to differ, as i watched the game on my uncle's satellite dish)

The game only being on the radio.... :blink:

BTW -- if you're looking to have this published at some point, you can't actually use any of the real plays (or players) without permission from the NFL.  Something to keep in mind.

CW

494998[/snapback]

good to know! I had not realized that.

You need to include the fact that if you polled Buffalo, you'd find that 350,000 people were at the game, and ALL of them stayed the entire time...

(altho the stadium in the 2nd half begged to differ, as i watched the game on my uncle's satellite dish)

495000[/snapback]

Love this line...can I use it?

494987[/snapback]

The fact that so many people left the stadium and wanted to come back in. I remember reading a post by someone earlier this year about that.

495000[/snapback]

Het i was there, and woulda left after the pick to start the 2nd half, but had four beers under my seat!!!!!!!..

Reeds sliding catch in the end zone

Lets not forget that was on 4th and five or six I believe. Remember screaming to go for the field goal... thats why I would make an excellant head coach

There were so many moments!

First was when the Bills finally scored a TD (Davis around the left end) you could ALMOST audibly hear everyone in the crowd giving a collective (sarcastic) "yaaaaaaaaaaay" (with circling finger over their heads.....get it?) On the highlite reels - you can see one guy dumping TONS of confetti up in the air after this score - probably because, like everyone else - he was trying to be funny amd thought, "might as well get it out now, I won't be needing it again"

Then the shock of the Oilers NOT expecting an onside kick after the score. Didn't everyone expect it? Guess not.

Then, the idiots thought we would do one again after we scored right away after the onside kick (score was then 35-17..... Beebe's I think) Hello? Duh? We wree almost in the game then. An onside would have been STUPID.

Then it became the Reich to Reed show. The biggest moment the 4th down TD from about the 18 yard line to make it 35-31. I was SHOCKED we didn't kick the FG. When Reed caught the TD I almost jumped through my ceiling.

-RichNJoisy

Some amazing plays, but what I thought was most surreal was that many fans left at halftime, and in the 3Q when we started to comeback, people from the parking lot were literally climbing over the fences to get back in, and there were so many doing it, security couldnt stop them. After a while, security stoppped trying and was watching the game liek everyone else.

Goosebumps as i right about it. Pure fandaaamoniuuuummmm!

Watching the game from the now torn down American Sports Bar and Grill on Transit Road. There were about 1500 people there for the beginning of the game, and there were 500 left at half time. When Christie kicked the FG in overtime, you couldn't move! A family right in front of me hugged, and fell right to the ground. Waitresses were dancing on the tables. I think the bar stopped charging people for drinks but I'm not sure on that. I do know it was just an amazing time!

How about the botched Oilers' FG?

It started to rain seconds before Montgomery muffed the snap. It had been damp all day anyway, but the rain made the ball just slippery enough that it went right through Montgomery's hands.

See? God doesn't hate the Buffalo Bills. <_<

If I remember correctly, the next drive was the one where the Bills took a 38-35 lead with about three minutes left.

Mike

I am working on a novel, and the main character is a Bills fan. I want to include a description of the comeback game, with mention of a few key plays.

494987[/snapback]

You're writing a novel about that game? You can start it out, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

No wait... check that. It's been used.

<_<:D:D

So many key plays, but the "Suicide Onside" really is the one that sticks out for me. That and the refs ignoring the hold (tackle?) on Talley that made Odomes' interception possible. Go with Christie kick (and key block by Pike that made it possible). It's more dramatic.

One of Walt Corey's (mr. Swizzle stick <_< ) greatest in-game adjustments. The Bills, while getting torched using both their nickle and dime defenses vs. the run and shoot offense of the Oilers, switched back to their base 3-4 in the 2nd half and did a great job of shutting them down thereafter.

I would also mention the Botched Oiler FG that was mentioned earlier. I don't remember it slipping through anyone's hands but I do remember the situation just as they lined up to kick. The wind suddenly picked up and began swirling and a misty rain began to fall harder than at any other point that day. The kick sailed short and/or wide and the strange weather dissipated almost as quickly as it came.

495000[/snapback]

Not quite - 300,000 left at halftime then stormed the fences to get back in after the Bills scored two TD's by the time they got to their cars.