Steve Czaban of Fox Sports Radio:

philburger1

Even the Boston WEEI radio jocks thought that the Bruschi stuff was off the wall, and didn't think that he played very well. That was the worst broadcast I have ever seen, which makes me think that all of the announcers wouldn't even be able to pass the Connecticut School of Broadcasting's small standards.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Local radio doesn't sync up with the game on TV. It's a good two seconds behind. That's almost more annoying than the POS ESPN Broadcast.

Someone send Suzy Kolber some knee pads for the next time she beejays a player for three hours. She must be sore today.

Even the Boston WEEI radio jocks thought that the Bruschi stuff was off the wall, and didn't think that he played very well.  That was the worst broadcast I have ever seen, which makes me think that all of the announcers wouldn't even be able to pass the Connecticut School of Broadcasting's small standards.

491854[/snapback]

I actually heard Callahan on the way in say (pretty much word for word) "The Pats really benefitted from that call. It probably cost the Bills the W." Classic.

Czaban this morning spent 10 minutes ripping into the Sunday Night Crew's coverage of the game.

Glad to see other people besides Bills fans were sick of the fan boy gushing of Bruschi. It was even worse than I thought is was going to be. I thought you might hear "Nobody ties his shoes with more passion than Teddy Bruschi.

"Thanks for making me hate Teddy Bruschi, ESPN" Steve Czaban this morning on the Fox Sports Network.

491554[/snapback]

Czaban's a great guy! Worked with him a bit here in NC a few years back and he really is great guy to Talk Sports with...He loved to razz me about the Bills, all in good fun of coarse...But his Local Show down here with Sandy Penner was the Best Sports Talk Show I have heard in almost 2 decades of listening...Glad to hear Steve is still on the ball....

Czaban's a great guy! Worked with him a bit here in NC a few years back and he really is great guy to Talk Sports with...He loved to razz me about the Bills, all in good fun of coarse...But his Local Show down here with Sandy Penner was the Best Sports Talk Show I have heard in almost 2 decades of listening...Glad to hear Steve is still on the ball....

491995[/snapback]

Czabe does a daily sports talk show at 5pm here in DC. Mostly talk local DC sports but some national stuff. He's nutty. For the record, the other show during the afternoon here had Doc Walker and Doc said he spoke to Theismann after the game and Joe T was kinda pissed at all the Brewski stuff. I guess even Joe thought it went overboard especially when they missed commenting on some critical plays.

Czabe does a daily sports talk show at 5pm here in DC.  Mostly talk local DC sports but some national stuff. He's nutty.  For the record, the other show during the afternoon here had Doc Walker and Doc said he spoke to Theismann after the game and Joe T was kinda pissed at all the Brewski stuff.  I guess even Joe thought it went overboard especially when they missed commenting on some critical plays.

492670[/snapback]

Theisman is the biggest douchebag of the bunch. I can't believe I dislike a former Buffalo guy as much as I despise Maguire. The ESPN crew is the worst in sports, period. I'd rather take Fox's 6th team over these asshats. At least we'd get some commentary on the game instead of whatever player they are blowing that week. Pathetic.

RTB

Time for a reality check here....

Those guys are TOLD what to discuss. They have someone chirping in the ear the whole time. Yes, the broadcast sucked, but it is the PRODUCER that should have his balls lopped off, not the guys in the booth.

Now, I guess they could have tried to not lay it on so thick, but they are pawns in someone else's chess game...

Time for a reality check here....

Those guys are TOLD what to discuss.  They have someone chirping in the ear the whole time. Yes, the broadcast sucked, but it is the PRODUCER that should have his balls lopped off, not the guys in the booth.

Now, I guess they could have tried to not lay it on so thick, but they are pawns in someone else's chess game...

492696[/snapback]

Director, more likely. Not that it matters all that much. And they do have some latitude...it's not like the voice in their ear tells them "You MUST talk about Bruschi now," though it is the producer/director that decides to stomp all over the game coverage with a Bob Kraft interview.

But it's also why McGuire can suddenly change his tune on a dime, as well. He starts bitching about the play-calling, and a voice in his ear starts jabbering "Whoa, dude...lay off the league, they're our gravy-train."

At any rate, though...the broadcast was strictly bush-league, from the trailer to the booth to the field. But then, so was the officiating, both teams' execution, the Bills' play-calling... :doh:

Director, more likely.  Not that it matters all that much.  And they do have some latitude...it's not like the voice in their ear tells them "You MUST talk about Bruschi now," though it is the producer/director that decides to stomp all over the game coverage with a Bob Kraft interview.

But it's also why McGuire can suddenly change his tune on a dime, as well.  He starts bitching about the play-calling, and a voice in his ear starts jabbering "Whoa, dude...lay off the league, they're our gravy-train." 

At any rate, though...the broadcast was strictly bush-league, from the trailer to the booth to the field.  But then, so was the officiating, both teams' execution, the Bills' play-calling...  :doh:

492704[/snapback]

Dr. Z had a great article about this about 5 years ago. It was the reason he got out of broadcasting (at least that is what he claims). The article rang true to my ears, so I always stop to remember that these guys aren't flying by the seats of their pants. Someone is pulling the strings.

I lay this one at the feet of ESPN more than the three knuckleheads.

I lay this one at the feet of ESPN more than the three knuckleheads.

492710[/snapback]

Stomping all over the coverage with taped interviews, certainly. The actual blather...I have a hard time believing that McGuire and Theisman have no responsibility for blathering on about "icing the punter" or whether or not a trick play gaining two yards and a first down is or is not sufficient.

Aside from Teddy Bear stuff, the crew is laughable in other ways. They all agree on what the outcome of a challenge will be and as soon as they are proven wrong, each one has an "I told you so" bit.

Maguire is in a difficult position. If he comes off sounding Billish, he will obviously be labeled a homer. So he has to go in deep reverse just to protect himself. He therefore frequently appears less than objective.