How the Bills Can Win on Sunday

JDG

O.k., like many of you, its hard for me to look forward to Sunday night with optimism. Sunday night, on the road in Foxboro, the Patriots coming off a bye - and a loss before that, and of course the emotional return of Teddy Bruschi. All of that seems to add up to an utter shellacking for our heroes. But there's always hope, right?

In fact, there reall are a few glimmers of hope. First, these are not the same Patriots. They are simply just not as good as they were the last two years, as

their losses to San Diego and Denver amply demonstrate. Secondly, the Patriots currently rank 28th in the NFL in rushing offense, with a mere 82 yards per game. (Buffalo is 12th at 124ypg.) Yes, our run defense is bad, but the Patriots just might not be able to take advantage. Third, the Bills do have outstanding special teams. Presuming that McGee's injury isn't serious, he is currently a man among boys, a full 5 yards per return average ahead of the next-closest full time returner *(minimum 5 attempts). New England is averaging 24 yards per attempt - that's like an extra first down for the Bills after every kickoff. Brian Moorman is a stud punter and can always change the field position equation in our favor. Finally, the Bills haven't won in New England since 1999 (average score of the last four losses has been 30-6), and the Bills have to win *sometime*, right?

So, my proposed game plan for the Bills looks like this -

1) Don't let New England suddenly find its running game, even against our anemic running defense. Pressure Tom Brady with lots of blitzes, and hopefully force that rare (but not unheard of) critical mistake. Whatever you do, don't let Brady sit in the pocket, and if aggressively rushing the passers lets New England occasionally run the ball - don't worry, and accept it as the price you are willing to pay.

2) Run Willis McGahee a lot (and "the best RB in the NFL" better be better than 3 yards per carry). Play conservative, play ugly, and punt a lot. Yes, punt a lot because punting means we aren't turning the ball over. Playing conservative and ugly meanwhile will help us ride out the initial wave of emotion that is going to surround the Patriots early on, playing at home, on Sunday night, with Teddy Bruschi coming back from a stroke sending the fans into a frenzy during the opening introductions. Try and let the Patriots make the first big mistake - maybe something into the hands of our defensive playmakers in Clements and McGee.

3) Don't listen to the fans, and start throwing more than the usual 2-3 deep balls a game - you do it a couple times to hope you get lucky and keep the defense honest, but ultimately you play conservative and don't do anything that could result in a bad pick on an underthrown deep ball or else a strip sack waiting for a receiver to get deep. Use Willis and Kelly Holcomb's efficient passing (70% last week) to eventually get the few scores we need in a tight, low-scoring, boring game and otherwise let out special teams eventually take control of field position in our favor. Again, play conservative, play ugly, and play for punts.

If all that comes together, we just might escape with an improbable upset win.

Hey, I can Bill-ieve can't I?

JDG

Pass that schitt, man!!

While I admire your optimism, since 2002 I have never felt worse going into a game than this one.

The Bills have absolutely no chance to win on Sunday in Foxboro.

That sentence was very difficult to type, as I have not felt that way since the 3-13 year of 01, and at least we were in an acknowledged rebuilding stage. Now, I think TD & Co. are simply delusional in thinking this team has any chance at all.

The problems on this team run deep and will take years to correct. Its a damn shame that we are entering a second rebuilding phase under TD, after having not been built the first time.

Problems with your scenario:

1) Don't let New England suddenly find its running game, even against our anemic running defense.  Pressure Tom Brady with lots of blitzes, and hopefully force that rare (but not unheard of) critical mistake.  Whatever you do, don't let Brady sit in the pocket, and if aggressively rushing the passers lets New England occasionally run the ball - don't worry, and accept it as the price you are willing to pay.

486486[/snapback]

If the Bills blitz heavy the way they did against the Raiders, the Patriots will destroy them. Brady is much better at getting rid of the ball and finding the open man than Collins is, and the Bills' run defense will suffer because they are hell bent on getting pressure on the QB. A blitz-heavy Bills defensive strategy means big running and passing plays by the Pats, putting the Bills in a hole early, which will force them to pass more, which will cause the Pats defense to tee off on Holcomb and result in a complete and utter blowout.

I can go with the rest of your strategy, and even then the chances of a win are slim, but the Bills' D needs to stay at home, stop the run, and forget about putting heat on Brady because it ain't gonna happen.

If im the Pats, im looking at this game as a great opportunity to give my second stringers some work in the second half. This gives your starters just a little less wear and tear to help them later in the season. Im serious about this btw. Only thing is it may be more that just a half workout for the subs.

Pass that schitt, man!!

While I admire your optimism, since 2002 I have never felt worse going into a game than this one. 

The Bills have absolutely no chance to win on Sunday in Foxboro. 

That sentence was very difficult to type, as I have not felt that way since the 3-13 year of 01, and at least we were in an acknowledged rebuilding stage.  Now, I think TD & Co. are simply delusional in thinking this team has any chance at all.

The problems on this team run deep and will take years to correct.  Its a damn shame that we are entering a second rebuilding phase under TD, after having not been built the first time.

486492[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more dude. In all my years as a Bills fan, i can't remember the last time I felt we were going to get our asses handed to us. I feel that way today.

To look at it from an optimists perspective...

Maybe it won't be a blowout until the 3rd quarter..

The Bills will be utterly destroyed and if you have any sense you'll bet your life savings on the Pats covering the spread.  You may never get another opportunity like this to make such easy money in your LIFE.

486682[/snapback]

Have you done that? :)

In all my years as a Bills fan, i can't remember the last time I felt we were going to get our asses handed to us.

486644[/snapback]

Kansas City Massacre.

You just knew we were gonna get embarrassed. In fact, some guys actually took some pre-emptive measures by creating a special alcohol-soaked wing recipe for just that occasion. Who knows what they're making up for this game.

For those of you who think NE "just isn't that good" -

I'm sorry to sound like a jerk, but do you guys pay ANY attention to who our rivals are playing or do you just peak at the standings in the paper? When you saw NE's schedule for the 1st 6 games what did you realistically expect? Would ANYBODY including the Colts be better than 4-2 at this point with their schedule? They've played 4 freaking road games in Carolina, Pittsburgh, ATL, and Denver.

The gave the Broncos a hell of a scare after falling behind 28-6. Most teams including the Bills would just roll over and quit when facing that kind of margin on the road.

For those of you who think NE "just isn't that good" -

I'm sorry to sound like a jerk, but do you guys pay ANY attention to who our rivals are playing or do you just peak at the standings in the paper?  When you saw NE's schedule for the 1st 6 games what did you realistically expect?  Would ANYBODY including the Colts be better than 4-2 at this point with their schedule?  They've played 4 freaking road games in Carolina, Pittsburgh, ATL, and Denver. 

The gave the Broncos a hell of a scare after falling behind 28-6.  Most teams including the Bills would just roll over and quit when facing that kind of margin on the road.

486722[/snapback]

Good post

I still think the Patriots can beat any team in the NFL despite the average start. New England might not be as good as last years team but as you pointed out the schedule they played was very difficult. They still have one of the leagues strongest passing games, and it's only a matter of time before Dillion gets going.

1) Don't let New England suddenly find its running game, even against our anemic running defense.  Pressure Tom Brady with lots of blitzes, and hopefully force that rare (but not unheard of) critical mistake.   Whatever you do, don't let Brady sit in the pocket, and if aggressively rushing the passers lets New England occasionally run the ball - don't worry, and accept it as the price you are willing to pay.

2)  Run Willis McGahee a lot (and "the best RB in the NFL" better be better than 3 yards per carry).  Play conservative, play ugly, and punt a lot.  Yes, punt a lot because punting means we aren't turning the ball over.  Playing conservative and ugly meanwhile will help us ride out the initial wave of emotion that is going to surround the Patriots early on, playing at home, on Sunday night, with Teddy Bruschi coming back from a stroke sending the fans into a frenzy during the opening introductions.  Try and let the Patriots make the first big mistake - maybe something into the hands of our defensive playmakers in Clements and McGee.

3) Don't listen to the fans, and start throwing more than the usual 2-3 deep balls a game - you do it a couple times to hope you get lucky and keep the defense honest, but ultimately you play conservative and don't do anything that could result in a bad pick on an underthrown deep ball or else a strip sack waiting for a receiver to get deep.  Use Willis and Kelly Holcomb's efficient passing (70% last week) to eventually get the few scores we need in a tight, low-scoring, boring game and otherwise let out special teams eventually take control of field position in our favor.   Again, play conservative, play ugly, and play for punts.

JDG

486486[/snapback]

1. The Patriots don't have a devastating rushing attack but Corey Dillion is still one of the leagues toughest backs to bring down, and this defense has really had problems tackling RB's this year. We got gashed by Oakland and the Jets who happened to rank 25th and 29th in rushing, we won't stop Dillion even if he is a little banged up. As far as passing goes many think Brady hasn't had great protection this year but they still rank second in sacks per pass attempt. He averages a sack every 33 drop backs, while the even more immobile Kerry Collins averaged one every 15 drop backs. If we couldn't pressure Collins effectively how will we pressure an even more difficult QB to get to?

2. Think about answer one, and consider what Mularkeys MO has been when we get down. The Patriots offensively are WAY better the Oakland, a top 5 unit. They will score, and MM will stop running the football and turn to the leagues 31st ranked passing offense. This is the exact tendency that got us into the rest of the Sunday night massacres and it's shaping up to happen again.

3. Even if we wanted to throw deep we can't, either the line won't protect, Kelly won’t get it their, or JP will miss on it. If you don't count the throw to Evans in the first quarter of the Texans game we haven't hit a pass this year that sailed 35 yards in the air. New England will stack the box, blitz, play bump and run, or flood the short zones, and nothing we have done this season indicates we can beat that look.

You're right about one thing, if Buffalo wins this game it would be very improbable, but I just don't see this team doing the improbable. This is not a team that has done anything improbable on the road against good teams since TD came here. That is a defining test of a team, and we've never come close to passing it in the past, and won't with an even worse team this season.

O.k., like many of you, its hard for me to look forward to Sunday night with optimism.  Sunday night, on the road in Foxboro, the Patriots coming off a bye - and a loss before that, and of course the emotional return of Teddy Bruschi.  All of that seems to add up to an utter shellacking for our heroes.  But there's always hope, right?

In fact, there reall are a few glimmers of hope.  First, these are not the same Patriots.  They are simply just not as good as they were the last two years, as

their losses to San Diego and Denver amply demonstrate.  Secondly, the Patriots currently rank 28th in the NFL in rushing offense, with a mere 82 yards per game.  (Buffalo is 12th at 124ypg.)  Yes, our run defense is bad, but the Patriots just might not be able to take advantage.  Third, the Bills do have outstanding special teams.  Presuming that McGee's injury isn't serious, he is currently a man among boys, a full 5 yards per return average ahead of the next-closest full time returner *(minimum 5 attempts).  New England is averaging 24 yards per attempt - that's like an extra first down for the Bills after every kickoff.  Brian Moorman is a stud punter and can always change the field position equation in our favor.  Finally, the Bills haven't won in New England since 1999 (average score of the last four losses has been 30-6), and the Bills have to win *sometime*, right?

1) Don't let New England suddenly find its running game, even against our anemic running defense.  Pressure Tom Brady with lots of blitzes, and hopefully force that rare (but not unheard of) critical mistake.  Whatever you do, don't let Brady sit in the pocket, and if aggressively rushing the passers lets New England occasionally run the ball - don't worry, and accept it as the price you are willing to pay.

2)  Run Willis McGahee a lot (and "the best RB in the NFL" better be better than 3 yards per carry).  Play conservative, play ugly, and punt a lot.  Yes, punt a lot because punting means we aren't turning the ball over.  Playing conservative and ugly meanwhile will help us ride out the initial wave of emotion that is going to surround the Patriots early on, playing at home, on Sunday night, with Teddy Bruschi coming back from a stroke sending the fans into a frenzy during the opening introductions.  Try and let the Patriots make the first big mistake - maybe something into the hands of our defensive playmakers in Clements and McGee.

3) Don't listen to the fans, and start throwing more than the usual 2-3 deep balls a game - you do it a couple times to hope you get lucky and keep the defense honest, but ultimately you play conservative and don't do anything that could result in a bad pick on an underthrown deep ball or else a strip sack waiting for a receiver to get deep.  Use Willis and Kelly Holcomb's efficient passing (70% last week) to eventually get the few scores we need in a tight, low-scoring, boring game and otherwise let out special teams eventually take control of field position in our favor.  Again, play conservative, play ugly, and play for punts.

JDG

486486[/snapback]

Already have my movie to go to picked out this Sundaynite...."The weatherman".........starting time 8:45 pm........I recommend giving up the 9pts, bet on the Pats for $300.00 and enjoy the movie! <_<

Already have my movie to go to picked out this Sundaynite...."The weatherman".........starting time 8:45 pm........I recommend giving up the 9pts, bet on the Pats for $300.00 and enjoy the movie! <_<

486984[/snapback]

Is that what you've done? You know, according to the Coach, if you had any sense you'd be betting your life savings...is that all you have?

The Bills will be utterly destroyed and if you have any sense you'll bet your life savings on the Pats covering the spread.  You may never get another opportunity like this to make such easy money in your LIFE.

486682[/snapback]

It is not as if the Pats are on a roll and are 6-0.....They are 3-3 with injuries

to their starting LT, LBs, and depeleted secondary....and to make it worse

a poor running game....The only shining part of the patriots this season has

been the arm of Tom Brady....

If the bills play conservatively and reduce their penalties and mistakes, they

will be in the game...however poor they have played last week.

I am not saying the bills are going to win...but they do have the capability

to put up a good fight against a struggling team....The question is can MM

and his coaching staff raise up to the challenge.....Can players like Moulds

Milloy, Adams and Vicent come with their A game or are they all goiong to

choke just like they have been doing the whole season.

It is not as if the Pats are on a roll and are 6-0.....They are 3-3 with injuries

to their starting LT, LBs, and depeleted secondary....and to make it worse

a poor running game....The only shining part of the patriots this season has

been the arm of Tom Brady....

If the bills play conservatively and reduce their penalties and mistakes, they

will be in the game...however poor they have played last week.

I am not saying the bills are going to win...but they do have the capability

to put up a good fight against a struggling team....The question is can MM

and his coaching staff raise up to the challenge.....Can players like Moulds

Milloy, Adams and Vicent come with their A game or are they all goiong to

choke just like they have been doing the whole season.

486990[/snapback]

The Raiders were a bad 1-4team and had two secondary starters go down early in the game last week, and our bone headed brain trust still " dinked" and "doinked" 3 yrd passes down the field.......whats that tell you?......Pats.......42 Bills.....3