What in your opinion are the top needs?

I am thinking that a few aging players should be cut. Moulds would seem to make the most sense. Can we go forever with him? Cap space will be a huge factor in building this team one would think.

From there, we need a strong draft at obvious positions. How great would it also be to grab a ufa along the likess of Paup or Speilmann for instant help?

I'm going to hate myself for asking this Q:, I'm sure, but in your opinion, what are this team's top needs heading into the 2006 season?

485860[/snapback]

much the same as last off-season due to fact needs were not addressed properly:

1) LT

2) DT

3) LG

4) CB (new one due to clements departure -- i have no faith that TD can get a deal done)

If I'm Mularkey, and am I glad I'm not, assuming we don't win at NE, I put in not only Losman at QB but Preston and Peters on the line as starters. Get 'em the reps. They will make mistakes, huge mistakes, but we need to see if these guys are the future. Then we at least know what we DON'T have to address in the offseason. Don't think it will happen because for some reason they are pretty enamored of Gandy and Anderson, even though Bennie esp has sucked hard.

I also think a glaring need is for Mike Williams to get himself 100% committed to strength and conditioning in the offseason so he doesn't get the nagging injuries. Obviously, having someone roll over your ankle never helps, but maybe if he was just a little healthier these things would heal faster or be less prone to happen.

Other needs:

I agree with VA, something needs to be shaken up with the playcalling/coaching, esp on offense, and maybe Jerry Gray needs to move on. Things can obviously change this season, but I would recommend Wyche for OC (if he wants it), and bring in a tough DC who preaches discipline and will put these guys through the wringer.

I hope Spikes can return to form, all I can say.

A quality gap-plugging DT would be great.

I've said before, if releasing Moulds doesn't hurt us financially, pick up an eager veteran WR with some skills left a la McCardell who won't cost a ton but will be more mission- than self-driven.

1) LT

2) DT

3) LG

4) CB (new one due to clements departure -- i have no faith that TD can get a deal done)

485870[/snapback]

I HOPE he lets clements walk! No way I want the Bills to tie up crazy money on a CB..NO WAY!

Spend the money on the lines...

If we lose to New England, put JP in the rest of the year.  If by years end it appears he wont cut it in the NFL, make a play for a QB in the off season.

Phillip Rivers or Drew Brees?

485874[/snapback]

Question, Talonz, how many years was it before Brees looked like an NFL QB? How much has Phillip Rivers proven?

I'm going to hate myself for asking this Q:, I'm sure, but in your opinion, what are this team's top needs heading into the 2006 season?

485860[/snapback]

Entire O line..Entire D line exc poss Big Sam.....--by the time that is accomplished Takeo,Moulds,etal will be well over the hill and we can start addressing THOSE positions. Its over.

485860[/snapback]

A big fat run-stuffing, lane-hogging Defensive Tackle. A left guard and right guard. A defensive coach with some originality.

1) LT

2) DT

3) LG

485870[/snapback]

I agree, but a difference is that I have faith that TD is smart enough to not re-sign Clements - especially for top CB money.

Question, Talonz, how many years was it before Brees looked like an NFL QB?  How much has Phillip Rivers proven?

485877[/snapback]

Ok, so if JP sucks the rest of the year and shows little or no progress ( see the first 4 games of his career), we should stick with him for another year? I hope not...

JP has looked BAD..I mean REALLY BAD..

Phillip Rivers - Hey, just a name to float out there...Hasn't proven a thing other than being picked above JP ..And being rated much higher than JP by most draft "gurus"...

Ok, so if JP sucks the rest of the year and shows little or no progress ( see the first 4 games of his career), we should stick with him for another year?  I hope not...

Phillip Rivers - Hey, just a name to float out there...Hasn't proven a thing other than being picked above JP ..And being rated much higher than JP by most draft "gurus"...

485883[/snapback]

And Brees was benched for a 40-year-old midget. He was BAD too. Had a BAD line. BAD coaching. Sound familiar?

Spend the money on the lines...

485876[/snapback]

I saw an interesting note yesterday in the MNF game....They showed the

draft positions of the starting OL for the Atlanta Falcons....

2 were 7th rounders, 2 were 5th rounders and 1 was a UDFA....

Is there anything more telling than that.....Looks like either our OL players

are lazy and uncomitted or being badly coached.....

And Brees was benched for a 40-year-old midget.  He was BAD too.  Had a BAD line.  BAD coaching.  Sound familiar?

485888[/snapback]

Bad coaching? They haven't changed coaches, yet Brees seems to be OK.

What, exactly, did you see that led you to believe that Brees suffered from bad coaching?

I saw an interesting note yesterday in the MNF game....They showed the

draft positions of the starting OL for the Atlanta Falcons....

2 were 7th rounders, 2 were 5th rounders and 1 was a UDFA....

Is there anything more telling than that.....Looks like either our OL players

are lazy and uncomitted or being badly coached.....

485890[/snapback]

Is their line that good though?

Vick is so damn fast that he alone can create tons of yards on the ground + avoid sacks..

Bad coaching?  They haven't changed coaches, yet Brees seems to be OK.

What, exactly, did you see that led you to believe that Brees suffered from bad coaching?

485894[/snapback]

I recall a lot of conjecture that Marty had lost it at that point. I'd have to scour some articles. The point was that Brees magically became a better QB 3-4 years into his career. There is some context there. People here don't have that kind of patience.

I recall a lot of conjecture that Marty had lost it at that point.  I'd have to scour some articles.

485906[/snapback]

At least he had it at one point :w00t:

The verdict is still out on the Bills current staff. Their stock is starting to drop though ....

Entire O-line---not a line of stop-gaps

2 new DT's----cut Sam

Big receiver----release Moulds

SS---cut Milloy

resign McGee to extension and resign Clements

new GM---someone like

new coaches

2 pass rushing OLBs---unless Takeo fully comes back, but Posey needs replaced.

DE that can rush and stop the rush

a healthy Kevin Everett

a healthy Roscoe Parrish

start Baker at FS---Vincent has lost a step

The Bills need to develop a "team." Right now they have "players", but no team.

If I'm Mularkey, and am I glad I'm not, assuming we don't win at NE, I put in not only Losman at QB but Preston and Peters on the line as starters.  Get 'em the reps.  They will make mistakes, huge mistakes, but we need to see if these guys are the future.  Then we at least know what we DON'T have to address in the offseason.  Don't think it will happen because for some reason they are pretty enamored of Gandy and Anderson, even though Bennie esp has sucked hard.

I also think a glaring need is for Mike Williams to get himself 100% committed to strength and conditioning in the offseason so he doesn't get the nagging injuries.  Obviously, having someone roll over your ankle never helps, but maybe if he was just a little healthier these things would heal faster or be less prone to happen.

Other needs:

I agree with VA, something needs to be shaken up with the playcalling/coaching, esp on offense, and maybe Jerry Gray needs to move on.  Things can obviously change this season, but I would recommend Wyche for OC (if he wants it), and bring in a tough DC who preaches discipline and will put these guys through the wringer.

I hope Spikes can return to form, all I can say.

A quality gap-plugging DT would be great.

I've said before, if releasing Moulds doesn't hurt us financially, pick up an eager veteran WR with some skills left a la McCardell who won't cost a ton but will be more mission- than self-driven.

485875[/snapback]

Spot on brother. Only thing a disagree with is the coaching. I know I am in the minority here, but I think you need to give these guys a chance. Crimminy, last year we were all enamored with the coaches, especially Grey. Christ, even after the first game this year we were all conjecturing who would be the new DC as Grey was certain to get a HC position due to his brillance as a DC.

"Its the players stupid" I keep saying to myself. Worked for Clinton, why not the Bills

Bad coaching?  They haven't changed coaches, yet Brees seems to be OK.

485894[/snapback]

I dont think it was coaching. I think it was Antonio Gates that improved Brees.

I'd clean house. GM, Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, 5 new OL, DT, DE, 2 or 3 LB's, 2 Safety's, CB, TE, WR, permanent switch to the throwback uniforms.

485884[/snapback]

If the ownership doesn't want to break what little bank they have to do this, nothing will change. It seems to me that Wilson brings in people who are in line w/ his way of doing things. When they don't mesh w/ his way (Polian), they're gone.

Oline

Proven tight end who can stretch the field.

2 Dt's

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

A new GM. Give Modrak a shot.

Hey Donahoe if you read this website fix the problem you jackoff. Oh wiat patch work with Mc Nally they'll be fine.

Oline

Proven tight end who can stretch the field.

2 Dt's

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

Oline

A new GM.  Give Modrak a shot.

Hey Donahoe if you read this website fix the problem you jackoff.  Oh wiat patch work with Mc Nally they'll be fine.

485928[/snapback]

See my above post.

If the ownership doesn't want to break what little bank they have to do this, nothing will change.  It seems to me that Wilson brings in people who are in line w/ his way of doing things.  When they don't mesh w/ his way (Polian), they're gone.

485927[/snapback]

I hope Polian wins a superbowl this year. I'm rooting for him.

Ok, so if JP sucks the rest of the year and shows little or no progress ( see the first 4 games of his career), we should stick with him for another year?  I hope not...

485883[/snapback]

It's that sort of thinking that could keep us wallowing in mediocrity for eternity.

1- Draft quarterback

2- Determine after @ 11 games that he is no good

3- Cut or trade said player, eat the cap and draft picks you spent on him.

4- wash and repeat.

:w00t:

It's that sort of thinking that could keep us wallowing in mediocrity for eternity.

1- Draft quarterback

2- Determine after @ 11 games that he is no good

3- Cut or trade said player, eat the cap and draft picks you spent on him.

4- wash and repeat.

:w00t:

485951[/snapback]

But do you realize how awesome and hopeful you'd feel at the start of every cycle?

[/sarcasm]

Keep thinking it's the QB that's the problem, guys!

(good post)

A Vet FA WR - To replace Moulds and his 10.8 mil cap hit

OL - Williams at RT - Can toss the rest over the Peace Bridge ( irony ). 4 new OL

DT -2 more

MLB

OLB

Safeties -combined age of our 2 starters is nearing 70

yada,yada,yada....

But do you realize how awesome and hopeful you'd feel at the start of every cycle?

[/sarcasm]

Keep thinking it's the QB that's the problem, guys!

(good post)

485962[/snapback]

In the Bills current situation, how long do you give JP to prove himself?

In the Bills current situation, how long do you give JP to prove himself?

485972[/snapback]

Remember how people were saying after those first two weeks, "well, if JP didn't suck so bad and the defense wasn't on the field all game blah blah blah..." Well, the D didn't have old JP to kick around last weekend, so what was the excuse? Every game they've lost, the Bills have lost as a team.

To answer your current situation, in the current situation, I don't give him that long before this line gets him killed, and the defense doesn't give him much of a shot to win -- partly due to injuries, partly to age, partly to lack of discipline. They are not the dominating D for whom he just needs to be an offensive caretaker -- that's OK, doesn't play to Losman's gunslinging strengths anyway. But I think he deserves a shot.

Truthfully, as long as I sense an effort from the front office to give him the tools to succeed (and to be fair, Kevin Everett might have been part of that this year), I'd say give Losman two years with the expectation of some serious progress, possibly playoffs if we get a favorable schedule next year.

485883[/snapback]

Still unanswered is the question of Rivers' more or less side-arm delivery and how well it would work in the NFL, and if not well, if it could be modified.

Dunno...