Do we have any medical expert types in here today?

Kids get dinged up in practice all season......last night it was my sons turn (he has been pretty lucky this year regarding injuries)

He was tackling a runner and too a kick (with cleated shoe) to the shin.

- It was pretty painful at first.....as he was trying to walk it off

- It bruised and swelled a little bit.....I put an ice pack on it immediately

- After a while the swelling went down and he resumed practice

- The following morning it did not appear to have swelled overnight

- He has numbness in the area where he was kicked

Anyone out there have some expertise or have it happen to them?

Kids get dinged up in practice all season......last night it was my sons turn (he has been pretty lucky this year regarding injuries)

476133[/snapback]

A subdermal hematoma. It'll be touch-and-go for a while, but I think he'll be fine in the long run, especially given he presented as a fit and active young person.

That'll be $225.

476133[/snapback]

Sounds like bubonic plague. Better get him to the ER fast...

Hey, free medical advice is worth what you pay for it... :o

What's the question? Why the numbness?

It happened to me once, although I did have significant swelling that lasted for days. It was painful and it sucked.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the numbness. If he didn't have any real swelling and the pain is gone, sounds like he took care of it just right.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the numbness. If he didn't have any real swelling and the pain is gone, sounds like he took care of it just right.

476157[/snapback]

In all seriousness, I'm no doc (just certified in CPR and First Aid), but if there are no other symptoms (numbness is spreading or persistent for more than a couple of days, he experiences loss of circulation presented by blue toe nails, etc), he'll be fine.

Getting nailed in the shin sucks, it hurts like a mofo. But I'd guess the numbness is due to the subdermal hematoma (ie, bruise), and that he'll be OK in a day or two, provided he's able to keep the area from being struck again - it'll be sensitive and would likely hurt like a beeyatch if he got hit right on the bruise again.

I'm assuming he has little to no discomfort when he walks on it. If you immobilize his upper shin and work his lower shin and ankle and there's no acute pain, I would probably rule out the need for a trip to the docs for x-ray.

A subdermal hematoma.  It'll be touch-and-go for a while, but I think he'll be fine in the long run, especially given he presented as a fit and active young person.

That'll be $225.

476141[/snapback]

Just bill Medicare for $400. :(

Thanks Campy,

He resumed practice with no noticable limp.....but after his injuries in recent years I am a flat out worry wort.

To be honest....I think he might have bones harder then titanium now....as he gets extra calcium and protein in his diet on a daily basis.

He has a game tomorrow.....I am thinking about either wrapping his shin or getting some sort of velcro padding for him to wear.

But sometimes....it is best just to let it go and not fret over it as coddling will cause him to play tentative (not a good thing for a fullback) not to mention that the team we play runs outside 85 percent of the time and he plays OLB

Thanks Campy,

You're welcome, but don't sue me if it turns out he has a compound fracture! :(

He has a game tomorrow.....I am thinking about either wrapping his shin or getting some sort of velcro padding for him to wear.

476181[/snapback]

A kid on my team (when I was a kid) had a big bruise on his shin. The coach took some foam rubber and put it on his shin and covered it with a soccer shin guard and wrapped it in an Ace bandage to help portect it. It still got hit, and I know it bothered him some, but he had no difficulty in making it through the game.

Like your son, he was an OLB on D and an RB (tailback) on O. The foam and shin guard diffused contact and kept the tacklers grabbing at his legs from directly hitting the bruise. Just a suggestion, take it for what it's worth (see the free advice comment above! :rolleyes: ).

Happened to me while playing basketball... My shin smashed into somebody else's shin. i developed severe sweeling, and a black and blue "egg"...It's a deep bruise/contusion usually down to the bone. My shin was sensitive for quite some time, over a year maybe. Just ice it, and elevate it if necessary.

I am a family practice doctor and also do emergency room work, and I see this type of injury all time. Your son experienced a contusion to his large bone in the leg called the tibia. This is a very large bone and is extremely hard to break. The smaller bone on the outside of the leg is called the fibula, and is easier to break, but it doesn't sound like you're son got hit there. Because UIC area, and there was no swelling, I don't think that there is a hematoma present. A hematoma represents a collection of blood under the skin and is common when you sustain a hit to the area, but is associated with swelling and a persistent lump. Because your son's pain is resolving and he is having no difficulty walking, I don't think x-rays would be of any benefit. The numbness is due to bruising of superficial nerves in the area and medically is called a neuropraxia. This doesn't have any long-term consequences, and should resolve anywhere from one to three months at most. As long as he can run without difficulty, and I think it's OK participate without any extra padding in the area. If he does start to have any difficulty walking or persistent pain an x-ray might be necessary. Hope this helps and to a bills fan there's no charge. :(

and also do emergency room work

476359[/snapback]

and to a bills fan there's no charge.  :(

476359[/snapback]

I will remember this next time I drink too much and fall/bang my head/get alcohol poisoning/etc...

Hope you work at Millard Fillmore. I live right behind it.

I once had a similar injury while playing football (except mine involved a lot of booze, girls, and two-hand touch). My drunk ass ran into a fence post and managed to hit my shin - that was 5+ years ago and I still have no feeling in that part of my leg. :(

I am a family practice doctor and also do emergency room work, and I see this type of injury all time.  Your son experienced a contusion to his large bone in the leg called the tibia.  This is a very large bone and is extremely hard to break.  The smaller bone on the outside of the leg is called the fibula, and is easier to break, but it doesn't sound like you're son got hit there.  Because UIC area, and there was no swelling, I don't think that there is a hematoma present.  A hematoma represents a collection of blood under the skin and is common when you sustain a hit to the area, but is associated with swelling and a persistent lump.  Because your son's pain is resolving and he is having no  difficulty walking, I don't think x-rays would be of any benefit.  The numbness is due to bruising of superficial nerves in the area and medically is called a neuropraxia.  This doesn't have any long-term consequences, and should resolve anywhere from one to three months at most.  As long as he can run without difficulty, and I think it's OK participate without any extra padding in the area.  If he does start to have any difficulty walking or persistent pain an x-ray might be necessary.  Hope this helps and to a bills fan there's no charge.  :(

476359[/snapback]

DR. Pax, THAT was one of AL Dimeola's best albums. I had it a long time ago on vinal, and just recently got it on CD. Another one I love is Streets of San Francisco. Paco, John, and Al.

I saw those guys in concert and it was an incredible concert. There folding chairs, a palm tree behind each of the three, and them. That was it. Incredible, just flippen incredible.

I guess I should go around with a 2 x 4 and whack about 6-7 kids in the shin with it.....(just kidding)

But we sure could have used some better play from a few of these kids....

For my sons own part.....it was a non issue. He actually had his best running game of the season at FB well over 90 yards on only about 7 carries.

Unfortunately in a loss. Sometimes us coaches just outsmart ourselves.

The symptoms you describe lead me to believe that you are suffering from bonus eruptus, a rare disorder in which the skeleton tries to jump out of the skin. The only way to stop it is through transdental electromicide. I'll need a golf cart motor and a thousand volt capacimator, stat.

I used to play amateur indoor soccer, so getting kicked in the shin was obviously a rather common occurence. When I first started playing, I had shin pads that were just foam rubber inside a cloth casing. Those protected some, but weren't really good enough. I took a direct kick to the shin, and had a nasty bone bruise that lasted for probably about a month. Per another player's recommendation, I got the better hard shin pads, more of a plastic type material, with just enough "play" in them to bend to fit around your shin when you strap them on. They are light enough they don't really hinder running, and should easily fit underneath the socks on a typical football uniform. The pads I used were roughly six inches high by 4 inches wide. You should be able to find pads like that in any sporting goods store that sells soccer supplies.

Protien depletes calcium.

476254[/snapback]

Well, doc, since you're dispensing free advice -- I have been having a great deal of pain in my right anke. I am talking persistent pain. It started in the summer and since it is very humid and hot here during that time of the year, I thought the joints were just swelling, but now it's cool and dry and I'm still in pain.

I went to my family doc and she is sending me in for x-rays. I am going to call her tomorrow and ask her for a prescription for pain. I've tried over the counter analgesics and they don't help at all.

I long time ago I went to a podiatrist and he told me that I had arthritis in my big toe (my toe doesn't bother me at all). I am just wonder if I could have arthritis and what treatment options are available.

Thanks (if you want to bill, I do have private insurance)!