ouchie...some people a little thin skinned

Adam

Mike Schoop (WGR talker) says that anyone who frequents internet football message boards has an IQ below 50.  I heard it on the way home and I just thought you should know what they're saying about you.

And he wasn't being playful or rhetorical.  He was strident and he was serious.  He said that you should not be allowed to drive a vehicle because of your idiocy.

474412[/snapback]

I would have to agree.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Schoop (WGR talker) says that anyone who frequents internet football message boards has an IQ below 50.  I heard it on the way home and I just thought you should know what they're saying about you.

474392[/snapback]

Anybody that hosts a sports talk show on WGR makes about $20,000 per year...who has the last laugh Mikey??? :doh:

Anybody that hosts a sports talk show on WGR makes about $20,000 per year...who has the last laugh Mikey??? :doh:

474480[/snapback]

You think they make that much? Wow, you must be counting the value of the free buffets at the Bills and Sabres games that those guys obviously partake in waaaaaay too heartily.

mike schoop has to be the most pompous, arrogant, hipocritical dip s$!ts i've ever heard talk on the radio. he says one point then 5 minutes later flops over to the other side of the coin. he's constantly talking down to anyone that has a different perspective than him and refuses to listen when he thinks he's right (which i think is hardly ever) and the caller is trying to make a point. i wish they would take this ridiculous show off the air or move howard simon to the afternoons and brad riter to the mornings with jeremy white.

Schoop was ok at first. It's his time to leave to another station or something. He needs to find something else to do. He has worn out his welcome with his listeners.

Please WGR, find another man for the job. His gig is old and all worn out.

BLAH BLAH BLAH = Schoop

474392[/snapback]

The most amusing part of this is that he obviously frequents this message board. I guess the guy doesn't have a high opinion of himself.

I tried to force myself to listen to WGR the other day, because it's the only game in town, but I couldn't do it. That is some baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad radio. Sure, TSW can get a little crazy after a few bad losses, but has a big upside with some pretty knowledgeable football folks, not to mention up to date Bills info. The only upside that I could find with WGR the other day was that the knob on my radio still worked.

I heard the same today on the way home and all I could do at the moment was sigh and once again turn off the radio. The guy has become a complete joke, and his side-kick has become no better. Both of these guys were at one time decent, entertaining, and informative radio personalities. Those times are long gone. Mike and his baseball delusions and agenda vs. all things Bills makes me sick. I just wish there was an alternative station to listen to in the area that actually were confident enough in their own abilities to atleast somewhat support the local sports teams and not play the ying/yang role playing ratings game.

474448[/snapback]

I completely agree with this post 100%. I remember when Schopp first came to Buffalo on 107.7 WNSA, while short lived and screwed over by the thought that a FM sports talk station could exist in Buffalo, there were some bright spots with Schopps "Sports talk for smart people" being the best. I loved listening to him on that show because it was intelligent, thought provoking sports discussion, a welcome alternative to Coach on WGR. I think when Adelphia went bankrupt Schopp lost his mind and became angry at everyone and everything in the world. Now he is basically a glorified prompter jockey who spouts out whatever his management tells him to. The management is of course pissed that the Bills don't want to be on their station anymore.

I haven't lived in B-lo for over a year now and haven't been back, but the last time I remember listening to WGR was sometime during the 2003 season. That's when they all went downhill completely. Sports talk radio is a place for complete hacks who aren't good enough to be journalists and probably too cowardly to be able to talk to the athletes or coaches themselves.

I was actually called into a focus group for WGR in April 2004, and I can tell you, the IQ of their core audience is nowhere near something to brag about. Probably about 10 guys in there, and all of them said they listen to WGR from morning to night. When I asked why the station did not carry a recent Yankees Red Sox day game a week before, I was practically lynched for suggesting that Jim Rome not air in favor of a baseball game!! These guys who listen to sports talk are lunatics and honestly, you want to talk about people with no lives, talk to a sports talk listener. I'll watch the games and read articles, and check stats, but 8 hours of hearing people B word about something they have no control over, sorry I'll pass. Unless its interviews with the athletes themselves or people like Peter King or Vic carrucci, you know, real sports reporters, I have no interest.

who cares....he is a talk show host who's goal is to get ratings....don't take it so personal....At least we know he is getting his "material" from TSW.....I give him props for that!

474564[/snapback]

Well WGR has an odd way of going about it. Usually you do good work to attract ratings.

Their parent company owns WEEI in Boston. As much as I hate to listen to Patriot ballwashing, 'EEI is a damn good station. (usually #1 or #2 overall in the Boston ratings, I might add) It could be because they have a lot more teams to talk about, (but they rarely talk about anything other than Sox and Pats) or that they have many more newspaper and tv sports reporters to use as guest hosts, but they are really entertaining, insightful, and funny.

You would think some of the smarts on how to do good sports radio would be spread around the company, but apparently not.

PTR

Shall we change the title of this to be more clear and pin it, to let people know that WGR does not want people who use message boards to listen to their station?

474491[/snapback]

Ahh.... Dan, always the man with the plan. Sounds good.

If this is true, though, I'm going to have to stop donating money to Penn State. How the heck could they have allowed someone like me into their University Scholars program, if my IQ <50? Disgraceful.

:)

And he wasn't being playful or rhetorical.  He was strident and he was serious.  He said that you should not be allowed to drive a vehicle because of your idiocy.

474412[/snapback]

If he mentioned me personally, I'll be pissed.

Obviously he has a point. :doh:

Just as obviously, he is jealous that I drive and he doesn't. :)

Cut him a break.

Maybe he just swallowed a bad load.

Schoop is supposedly a member of Mensa. For someone allegedly so smart, the best he can do is a $20,000 a year gig on a crap sports station in Buffalo? I think he hates it in Buffalo so much but has no talent to move up to a bigger market. (Weekend overnights on ESPN Radio once in awhile doesn't cut it). That and his overwhelming lack of sports knowledge. His disdain for Buffalo and it's sports fans shows through on his show these days as he rips on people and talks down to caller after caller. I think if he hates it here so much he should GET OUT OF TOWN. He thinks people that vote in internet polls and spend time on message boards have an IQ of less than 50? There you go. Looking down on people not as smart as he thinks he is. The 6 people that listen to his show should find something better to do - like vote in internet polls and spend time on message boards.

It takes me 1 or 2 minutes to post, and say exactly what I want to say. Some poor schlub who calls his show, about 20 minutes on hold, and then gets cut off before they are done making their point.  I have heard Schoop a few times, on trips home.  He is pretty bad.  Could his comments have been reataliatory comments for the "I used to like Mike Schoop" thread that was started by someone the other day?

474444[/snapback]

Am I famous now? :)

Honestly, I really DID like his tell-it-like-it-is style before he got so condecending.

...And how I WISH I had an IQ of 50. American society is currently geared toward that segment of the population.