Hall of Fame for Moon, Drew and Testaverde?

Max Fischer

Which is sad.

473788[/snapback]

From what I do know of the NFL Hall of Fame, their standards seem to be lower than baseball, which will be extremely interesting.

Palmiero has more lifetime homers than Mickey Mantle, but was caught on steroids. Will this effect his induction?

I am thinking that SO many of them are/were dosing, that many of these newer players with the big numbers will get in (which is probably worse than the Bledsoe situation).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I do know of the NFL Hall of Fame, their standards seem to be lower than baseball, which will be extremely interesting.

Palmiero has more lifetime homers than Mickey Mantle, but was caught on steroids. Will this effect his induction?

I am thinking that SO many of them are/were dosing, that many of these newer players with the big numbers will get in (which is probably worse than the Bledsoe situation).

473802[/snapback]

I doubt Palmiero gets in. Jose Canseco has numbers and so does Albert Belle. Neither of them is likely to get in.

I doubt Palmiero gets in.  Jose Canseco has numbers and so does Albert Belle.  Neither of them is likely to get in.

473805[/snapback]

I understand Palmeiro and Canseco as "no question" users, but nothing definitive ever came out on Belle. You think it's the injuries or his poor relationship with the media that will hold him back, or speculation on 'roids?

You could easily be right but if so, watch how fast it turns into a political issue!  :blink:

473810[/snapback]

Even politicians need a leg to stand on. Palmeiro and Canseco don't have 'em. I'd wager neither does Mark McGwire. Why? Not because they might not have been HoF players without using, but because we'll never, never know. Who knows. Canseco might have actually been a great one if he used discipline instead of drugs. Fact is, they cheated. Baseball allowed it to happen, but it's still cheating and these guys are personally responsible for their decisions.

That first paragraph is fairly accurate description of Dan Marino, though who could deny him first ballot entry to the HOF. Fouts, Kelly, Manning, are a few others that have made the HOF that could fit this category. You could say Jimbo was innovative with the K-gun, calling his own plays bit.

473792[/snapback]

i'm not quite sure what you're trying to say -- are you agreeing with me that the QBs you mention above all acquired the requisite "fame" to enter the hall? or are you saying that they are all stat-padders?

if it is the former, i agree with you whole-heartedly. marino, fouts, kelly, and manning were (or are) much more than their stats.

if it is the latter, i fear you are sadly mistaken.

Moon - possibly, remeber its not the NFL hall of fame, its the pro football hall of fame. Moon has had success in every league he's ever plyed in even the CFL. :doh:

Bledsoe - could be, if he plays real well the next few years it will help his votes

Vinny - no way in hell, never done anything remarkable in the league other than playing medicore football for 20 years.

Just as the threshhold for receivers will be more stringent, so will the threshhold for QB's due to the emphasis in the passing game in the modern game and all of the rule changes that have opened the possibility up for super stats by modern players when compared to players of the past.

Drew, despite his two AFC championships and one Super Bowl ring (they don't make rings for winning the AFC Championship, do they???), is not a hall of famer. It would be a travesty if Bledsoe ever got in and Ben Coates didn't. I agree with those that say Moon has a decent shot. He'll be helped by an inability to compare his Canadian numbers to anything tangible in the NFL. The other two should not be in.

I had some Drew/Coates flashbacks when another Drew threw that floater to Antonio Gates Monday night. It was a superb catch by Gates, but enough of those and he too will see a promising career shortened by too many safeties that get free shots at him.

The guy who will probably get in that doesn't deserve it is Aikman.  How is he different than Bledsoe other than he and the best line, statisticly the best RB in history, and good to great WR corp?

473722[/snapback]

God I hate team sports.

Hey look, the NBA starts soon. :doh:

Moon - possibly, remeber its not the NFL hall of fame, its the pro football hall of fame.  Moon has had success in every league he's ever plyed in even the CFL. :doh:

Bledsoe - could be, if he plays real well the next few years it will help his votes

Vinny - no way in hell, never done anything remarkable in the league other than playing medicore football for 20 years.

474389[/snapback]

Vinnie did take the job of a guy that was much better than him at the time (Kosar)....if that counts for anything

All-time

Moon - does not include his 20K+ yards etc in the cfl over 6 years.

4th in attempts

5th in TDs

4th in completions

4th in yards

Vinny -

5th attempts

8th TDs (could get to 7th soon)

6th completions (could get to 5th soon)

6th yards

Drew-

7th  attempts

19th TDs

7th  completions

10th yards (with 8th well in reach)

I don't have win-loss. 

I say Moon needs to go in but not sure if there is any strong doubt (on the 2006 ballot with Thurman, Reed and Aikman).  Vinny is on the bubble but has never made a huge impact in the league; while you can debate Drew's ability to win he's always been a top QB.

473716[/snapback]

Wow, I didn't know Moon was that good. I knew he put up nice numbers, but alot of his time was spent in Canada too. I would say Moon's numbers, considering, are nice. Real nice.

Aikman- no brainer, doesn't need to be discussed.

Moon- yes eventually

Bledsoe- not today but he will too if he plays 3-5 more years.

Vinny- no.another no discussion needed.

Palmeiro- probably not a first ballot now but they have no choice with those numbers. He will get in.

Canseco-no. His #'s were not quite good enough to force him in like Raffy.

Belle- no. Had some good years but didn't last long enough.

The guy who will probably get in that doesn't deserve it is Aikman.  How is he different than Bledsoe other than he and the best line, statisticly the best RB in history, and good to great WR corp?

473722[/snapback]

He has a better chance than Bledsoe, BUT I doubt either one ever makes it into Canton.

For that matter neither will Vinny.

Moon probably will not but has the best chance of the bunch.

ps. Does anyone really think Bledsoe has a chance of making it into the Hall of Fame?