Losman and Interceptions

Buffal0 Bill5

What is your opinion?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• 1. He's not throwing them
    • 2. Defensive players are not catching them

He's gotta lead the league in dropped INT's.  I don't think anyone ever sugar-coated that.

456422[/snapback]

Dr. Fong  Today, 09:07 AM Post #10 

One positive that sticks out at me in Losman's first three starts is that he may have a horrible completion percentage, but he also hasn't turned the ball over.

Here's one example.

True, he hasn't turned it over, but not for lack of trying. I'm not a JP hater. I am hpoing beyond hope that something clicks in his head, his vision of the field improves, and he calms down and starts to throw the ball more accurately. That being said it is just an observation. He is one lucky kid that he hasn't thrown for some td's the other way.

Of course he's thrown several right to the other team that they've dropped. But, we have a very practical problem "counting" these. We don't have stats on how many near-interceptions other QBs have/had.

So, if we're trying to use stats to evaluate performance, we have to set these near-INTs aside. If we're using our observations of performance then we don't need the stats in the first place. I'd say JPL is performing better than many young new-to-the-NFL QBs have, and worse than others. (Exciting conversation, huh?)

Another problem is extrapolating based on very little data. Losman is on pace for 8 TDs and 8 INTs this year, which may not be too far off, but after the first game it looked like 16 TDs (all to linemen) and 0 INTs....

What is clear is that it is too soon to tell.

I have read several posts that have pointed out that even though he is inaccurate JP has not been throwing many interceptions.  This may be a flawed perception, because JP is just darned lucky many of the potential INT's have been dropped.  What is your opinion?

456420[/snapback]

Tom Brady is also very lucky in that respect. I pointed it out last year, and people gave me crap.

Tom Brady is also very lucky in that respect. I pointed it out last year, and people gave me crap.

456474[/snapback]

It amazes me how many INT's are dropped by defensive players across the league each week. Some of these seem so easy to catch, especially for professional athletes. LB's and linemen get a cushion here, but there are plenty of DB's who drop picks right in their hands. I guess that's why there's the old saying....

JP has been pretty lucky that most of his near-INT's have been lineman and especially LB's. I guess it just shows that he is not accounting for them dropping into pass coverage. I really only remember Ronde Barber as the one CB who dropped a potential INT. The others have been LB's. And of course, Deangelo Hall decided to hold on to his, that bastard.

Kelsey actually showed pretty nice hands on his pick. I've seen linemen drop that one hundreds of times.

He's gotta lead the league in dropped INT's.  I don't think anyone ever sugar-coated that.

456422[/snapback]

I can't speak for every game but I re-watched the first half of the Tampa game. This was the game where Losman supposedly had 4 dropped INTs. Well, 3 of those came in the first half. Only one of those really qualified as such. The other 2 were defenders who leaped and got a single hand on the ball then acted as if they almost had it. A LB getting a leaping hand on the ball doesn't qualify as a "dropped interception" in my book.

Of course he's thrown several right to the other team that they've dropped.

456470[/snapback]

That may be one of the reasons why those guys play defense.

Antoine could not catch worth a lick. Yet, he is a darn good corner.

I have no idea how JP statistically compares to others regarding dropped INTs. I just hope that he has them out of his system, because he is pressing his luck. There do seem to be a bunch of them already. Do you remember the first pass in the second half against the Texans? That guy must have had hands of stone.

Antoine could not catch worth a lick.  Yet, he is a darn good corner.

456938[/snapback]

He got abused in CIN-MIN 2 weeks ago. Got blistered for 2 td passes, 1 short and 1 long and was a softie on other completions. He's good on the run and tackles nice when he's in the vicinity.

He'd be a top-notch safety.

He got abused in CIN-MIN 2 weeks ago. Got blistered for 2 td passes, 1 short and 1 long and was a softie on other completions. He's good on the run and tackles nice when he's in the vicinity.

456949[/snapback]

Sounds like our Lil' Antoine. :D

He'd be a top-notch safety.

456949[/snapback]

I think I saw the highlight of the long one where he desperately was chasing after whoever scored the TD.

I can't speak for every game but I re-watched the first half of the Tampa game.  This was the game where Losman supposedly had 4 dropped INTs.  Well, 3 of those came in the first half.  Only one of those really qualified as such.  The other 2 were defenders who leaped and got a single hand on the ball then acted as if they almost had it.  A LB getting a leaping hand on the ball doesn't qualify as a "dropped interception" in my book.

456897[/snapback]

It doesn't qualify as a dropped INT in mine, either, but it seems that some believe that if a defender gets a fingernail on a pass, that's a near-interception (whatever that means). I prefer to call those 'nearly intercepted' passes what they really are: incompletions. He's also barely missed a few passes for first downs. Note that no one is counting those in his favor, as well they shouldn't. Incomplete is incomplete.

The truth is, every QB in the league throws a few passes a game that the defense has a chance at. I'm only concerned with the ones that ARE intercepted, as well as the ones where Losman hits the defender between the numbers and are dropped (I believe that has happened twice). I don't care about the others that end up hitting the turf.

JP, like RJ before him, is throwing passes that will never get picked off.  The problem is, they will never be caught by anyone in a Bills uniform either.  Scared QB's overthrow, or throw high, so they don't get intercepted...

456582[/snapback]

Actually, Rob Johnson was a very accurate passer for most of his Bills career, something that his career completion percentage (61%) indicates.

JP, like RJ before him, is throwing passes that will never get picked off.  The problem is, they will never be caught by anyone in a Bills uniform either.  Scared QB's overthrow, or throw high, so they don't get intercepted...

456582[/snapback]

The only similarity that might be there is the hesitation at times to throw the ball.

RJ is the Bills all team leader in completion percentage with 60.48% vs JP's 48.8%.