What are the Bills draft priorities?

Gambler

From my point of view, the games are won and lost in the trenches. They set the foundation for everything else.

The defensive line and offensive line would be my top priorities.

Sam Adams isn't getting any younger and Ron Edwards is mediocre.

The OL could use help too. :D

P.S. Posey's position in desperate need of an upgrade also.

I'd hope that their priorities are to take the best player still available on the board unless they're terribly overloaded at the position, and in the salary cap era I don't see that as being a problem. Then fill in the rest of your holes through the FA route.

I think taking the best player is always the best strategy in the long run and it prevents such disasters of desperation as the Flowers' and Tillman's of the world.

Cya

I'd hope that their priorities are to take the best player still available on the board unless they're terribly overloaded at the position, and in the salary cap era I don't see that as being a problem. Then fill in the rest of your holes through the FA route.

I think taking the best player is always the best strategy in the long run and it prevents such disasters of desperation as the Flowers' and Tillman's of the world.

Cya

448372[/snapback]

I don't fully agree. I would not take a 160 pound midget with a first selection of a draft. I would rather take a chance on a player who even might be able to block but hey, that's just me. :D

Well, from general board consensus over the past week and a half, we need, in no particular order:

1. a RB that doesnt dance, because willis does

2. a QB that can throw accurately, because JP cant

3. 3/5 of an o-line (keep villarial and preston) (gandy, MW, and teague are terrible and cant block)

4. a #2 WR because moulds drops everything is sight

5. a TE that can stretch the field (none of ours can)

6. a DE that isnt white

7. a DT that can stop the run, because edwards cant

8. another DT that doesnt get worn out after playing 40 mins on the field in 100 degree heat, because sam cant

9. A OLB that doesnt suck (because posey has sucked sooooo bad for 2+ years now and we refuse to replace him because he has naked pics of TD :D)

10. a #1 CB because we wont keep clements

11. a #2 CB because mcgee will never turn into a good corner (and one can make this assumption based on slightly over 2 seasons in the league)

12. a MLB because fletcher's contract is up in a few years

13. a FS because ours is old

14. a SS (see #'s 12 and 13)

15. a K that can make 50+ yarders and make 100% of FG's (lindell cant)

16. a coach, because mularkey is in waaay over his head and doesnt know how to play-call a game

17. a GM, because TD is the son of satan

18. An owner from buffalo, because the team is moving to LA soon

That about sums it up for what we need next season...the only safe people in the Bills organization are Spikes, Evans, and Moorman, because they are the only ones that dont suck and no one complains about on here...

I don't fully agree. I would not take a 160 pound midget with a first selection of a draft. I would rather take a chance on a player who even might be able to block but hey, that's just me.  :D

448378[/snapback]

Marvin Harrison, who is slighter than Parrish and has scored about 100 TD's while missing 1 game every two years, might disagree with you.

If the 160lber in question is good enough to change an entire game with a single play he might be worth the pick. I'd rather get the big uglies later as there are always some available or in FA after they've already proven they can play.

If we draft in the top 15, it has to be the best player available....

If we draft in the lower 1/2 of the draft (hopefully from 21 to 32) then it

should be

o Cornerback (If we cannot re-sign Nate) plus the impending status of

McGee contract.

o OT (Since the draft is supposed to be loaded with OTs).

o WR ( This might be the last year for Eric Moulds if he keeps playing

like he did the last two sundays).

o DT

o LBs

Marvin Harrison, who is slighter than Parrish and has scored about 100 TD's while missing 1 game every two years, might disagree with you.

If the 160lber in question is good enough to change an entire game with a single play he might be worth the pick. I'd rather get the big uglies later as there are always some available or in FA after they've already proven they can play.

448383[/snapback]

Simon, I recently heard Bill Parcels say (on NFL Channel) that every year at draft time, if he has a list of approx. 50 wrs., there might be only half the number of Guards. This is not to mention OTs.

There is a team in your neck of the woods that does OK by stockpiling blockers. I remember when they let that LT Jackson go while he was still good and they barely missed a beat.

I don't claim to know exactly where all of these guys were selected. What I do know is that their subs shoved our guys around in the final game of 04. I also saw that some unknown recently gained 161 yards or so, and that they scored 42 points on sunday. Even NE saw fit to grab a blocker with their first selection. It makes sense.

The Bills record of drafting/signing Offensive Linemen has improved, but it is still rather dismal over the last 10 or so years. The best "value" pick imo was Jennings, and he is gone. Ruben was a nice pick. The MW was pick debatable to put it nicely.

The Bills will not win it all until they put forth an offensive line of good football players. It has stopped us already. I want it to end.

Jmo.

Well, from general board consensus over the past week and a half, we need, in no particular order:

1. a RB that doesnt dance, because willis does

2. a QB that can throw accurately, because JP cant

3. 3/5 of an o-line (keep villarial and preston) (gandy, MW, and teague are terrible and cant block)

4. a #2 WR because moulds drops everything is sight

5. a TE that can stretch the field (none of ours can)

6. a DE that isnt white

7. a DT that can stop the run, because edwards cant

8. another DT that doesnt get worn out after playing 40 mins on the field in 100 degree heat, because sam cant

9. A OLB that doesnt suck (because posey has sucked sooooo bad for 2+ years now and we refuse to replace him because he has naked pics of TD :D)

10. a #1 CB because we wont keep clements

11. a #2 CB because mcgee will never turn into a good corner (and one can make this assumption based on slightly over 2 seasons in the league)

12. a MLB because fletcher's contract is up in a few years

13. a FS because ours is old

14. a SS (see #'s 12 and 13)

15. a K that can make 50+ yarders and make 100% of FG's (lindell cant)

16. a coach, because mularkey is in waaay over his head and doesnt know how to play-call a game

17. a GM, because TD is the son of satan

18. An owner from buffalo, because the team is moving to LA soon

That about sums it up for what we need next season...the only safe people in the Bills organization are Spikes, Evans, and Moorman, because they are the only ones that dont suck and no one complains about on here...

448381[/snapback]

#19 More cowbell

Simon, I recently heard Bill Parcels say (on NFL Channel) that every year at draft time, if he has a list of approx. 50 wrs., there might be only half the number of Guards. This is not to mention OTs.

There is a team in your neck of the woods that does OK by stockpiling blockers. I remember when they let that LT Jackson go while he was still good and they barely missed a beat.

I don't claim to know exactly where all of these guys were selected. What I do know is that their subs shoved our guys around in the final game of 04. I also saw that some unknown recently gained 161 yards or so, and that they scored 42 points on sunday. Even NE saw fit to grab a blocker with their first selection. It makes sense.

The Bills record of drafting/signing Offensive Linemen has improved, but it is still rather dismal over the last 10 or so years. The best "value" pick imo was Jennings, and he is gone. Ruben was a nice pick. The MW was pick debatable to put it nicely.

The Bills will not win it all until they put forth an offensive line of good football players. It has stopped us already. I want it to end.

Jmo.

448410[/snapback]

You have some good points Bill, but at what point, do you stop putting a positional need over the best player available? When you have a draft board, IMO, its best to follow it, and not reach for a position that you may "need" As someone stated earlier, when you pigeon hole yourself into a we need pick, thats when you end up with players like flowers and such. Do we need o-line help, yes? Should we perhaps spend an early pick on o-line, yes. Should we reach for one when ther's a better overall player available?, no.

(i'm a firm believer that we'll have our future LT in next yr's 1st round, and the draft is supposed to be o-line strong)

You have some good points Bill, but at what point, do you stop putting a positional need over the best player available? When you have a draft board, IMO, its best to follow it, and not reach for a position that you may "need" As someone stated earlier, when you pigeon hole yourself into a we need pick, thats when you end up with players like flowers and such. Do we need o-line help, yes? Should we perhaps spend an early pick on o-line, yes. Should we reach for one when ther's a better overall player available?, no.

(i'm a firm believer that we'll have our future LT in next yr's 1st round, and the draft is supposed to be o-line strong)

448422[/snapback]

And you raise valid questions.

The "Sauna Bowl" we just played aside, the Bills play lots of games in strong winds, rain, snow and cold weather. There are/will be games in which a 160 lb. receiver will not come in as handy as might a big, mean monster who is able to block, or a tough defensive lineman.

I hope that you are right about the Bills getting a LT next year in the draft.

I have a feeling that we will be seeing an almost entirely different OL, and I hope to be right.