Charger Official Doesn't Like Rival Fans ?

The Warden

Reminds me of the Steelers game last year.  That made me sick to my stomach to see so many of those ass rags waving around Ralph Wilson stadium.

440077[/snapback]

That was sickening.

Reminds me of the Steelers game last year.  That made me sick to my stomach to see so many of those ass rags waving around Ralph Wilson stadium.

440077[/snapback]

Every Bills game ought to sell out with local fans. Maybe a playoff season will help that along. As far as the Chargers are concerned, I've said it several times before: build their new stadium halfway between SD and LA and call 'em the So.Cal. Chargers! That solves your LA franchise problem, and SD fans stilll have their team. What's the difference between that and the Boston/New England Patriots?

PTR

I doubt it could be enforced, but I'd love to see some kind of rule whereby season-ticket holders get punished for selling their seats to rival teams' fans.

440083[/snapback]

How and why would you want to do that ?

If a team can't sell out its' games to its' fan base - would they perfer to see empty seats ?

I think not -

Every Bills game ought to sell out with local fans.  Maybe a playoff season will help that along.  As far as the Chargers are concerned, I've said it several times before:  build their new stadium halfway between SD and LA and call 'em the So.Cal. Chargers!  That solves your LA franchise problem, and SD fans stilll have their team.  What's the difference between that and the Boston/New England Patriots?

PTR

440087[/snapback]

Drop the new stadium right on the land at the old El Toro air base in Orange County and I think everyone would be happy

Don't forget the high speed MagLev train that stops right outside :angry:

Drop the new stadium right on the land at the old El Toro air base in Orange County and I think everyone would be happy

Don't forget the high speed MagLev train that stops right outside  :angry:

440095[/snapback]

Everyone would be happy? That would be like driving to Buffalo from at least as far as Cayuga Lake, or maybe even Syracuse. No, if you do that, you might at well change the team's name. There would no longer be anyway you could consider them in San Diego.

How and why would you want to do that ?

If a team can't sell out its' games to its' fan base - would they perfer to see empty seats ?

I think not -

440094[/snapback]

Read what I said again. The season ticket holders should GO to the games, or sell their tickets to Bills fans. I'm not talking about non-seasons.

And yes, actually, empty seats last year would have been better than seeing 20,000 pee-stained ass rags.

As far as the Chargers are concerned, I've said it several times before:  build their new stadium halfway between SD and LA and call 'em the So.Cal. Chargers!  That solves your LA franchise problem, and SD fans stilll have their team.  What's the difference between that and the Boston/New England Patriots?

PTR

440087[/snapback]

That's really a good idea. I suspect stubborn pride will prevent it from ever happening, but I suspect that franchise would flourish.

Every Bills game ought to sell out with local fans.  Maybe a playoff season will help that along.  As far as the Chargers are concerned, I've said it several times before:  build their new stadium halfway between SD and LA and call 'em the So.Cal. Chargers!  That solves your LA franchise problem, and SD fans stilll have their team.  What's the difference between that and the Boston/New England Patriots?

PTR

440087[/snapback]

It's tough to get sell-outs to local fans when:

a ) A certain amount is alloted to visiting teams,

b ) The tour companies from opposing cities can get tickets before "Joe non-Season-Ticket-Holder" can

c ) Believe it or not there are people in the Buffalo area that are not Bills fans. A Bills fan has 8 chances to see the Bills a year, local fans of other teams have at most one chance/year, and in the worst cases once every 7 years or so...

There are not enough people in the area to sell 70,000 season tickets, so opposing fans in the stand will always be an issue. At the same time, how many games were effectively sold out before "Joe non-season-ticket holder" had a chance to buy? (Yeah, I know, buy through a Season Ticket holding friend...). Issue "b" is the only one the Bills can do anything about, if they chose to...

Read what I said again.  The season ticket holders should GO to the games, or sell their tickets to Bills fans.  I'm not talking about non-seasons.

And yes, actually, empty seats last year would have been better than seeing 20,000 pee-stained ass rags.

440106[/snapback]

I am a season ticket holder but live 500 miles away and try to sell my tix right here on TBD if I cannot go to a game. I sell them at cost to a fellow Bills fan but sometimes there is no response. So, I sell them at a premium to the other team.

I am a season ticket holder but live 500 miles away and try to sell my tix right here on TBD if I cannot go to a game. I sell them at cost to a fellow Bills fan but sometimes there is no response. So, I sell them at a premium to the other team.

440205[/snapback]

By the way. Thanks a bunch again. Those seats Sunday were great.

Read what I said again.  The season ticket holders should GO to the games, or sell their tickets to Bills fans.  I'm not talking about non-seasons.

440106[/snapback]

Idealism. It tastes like chicken - without the substance.

"And yes, actually, empty seats last year would have been better than seeing 20,000 pee-stained ass rags."

Not for nothing, but Ill take filled seats with opposing fans than empty seats, especially in a city like Buffalo, which has difficulty filling that place to begin with.

Unlike Buffalo, most season ticket holders are corporations and speculators. I know many season ticket holders here in Washington that have tickets, but have not gone to a game. It is an investment. When you sell your tickets for a profit (stubhub, ebaty, craiglist, etc.) you take the highest price. Not the highest price from a home team fan.

I have long contended the easiest way to quiet rival fans....WIN! If you win the game, then rival fans stay quiet. Otherwise, what you see is just business at work.

Usually I'd chalk this up to sd just not having a big fan base, but they're coming off a 12-4 season, they should at least be able to sell out their home opener with charger fans. It reminded me of the dallas/pitt game last season @ texas stadium mind you and there was nothing but steeler fans.

Everyone would be happy? That would be like driving to Buffalo from at least as far as Cayuga Lake, or maybe even Syracuse. No, if you do that, you might at well change the team's name. There would no longer be anyway you could consider them in San Diego.

440103[/snapback]

INCORRECT!!! Downtown L.A. to downtown S.D. is 120 miles. So halfway is 60, which would less than driving from Rochester to see a Bills game. (that's 75 miles) And if you read my post correctly, I suggested they be called the "Southern Cal Chargers!"

PTR

440106[/snapback]

A) There are still 27,000 unsold seats per game, not counting seasons. What's to stop opposing fans from buying those?

B) How do propose proving someone is a fan? Do they have to have a tatoo of the logo on their a$$?

Wishful thinking...not practical.

PTR

In England they really got the right idea for their football/soccer

All stadiums have sections for away fans only

If anyone roots for the away team or wears team apparel for the visiting team in any section other then the designated ones, they are thrown out ...

This way it cuts down on violence among other things ... and you need a pass issued by the away team to cross the turnstiles ...

INCORRECT!!!  Downtown L.A. to downtown S.D. is 120 miles.  So halfway is 60, which would less than driving from Rochester to see a Bills game. (that's 75 miles)

440696[/snapback]

Mileage-wise, that's true. Traffic-wise? Not true. Even on a weekend, and particularly with game-day traffic, 60 miles in Southern Cal takes a hell of a lot longer to drive than 75 in WNY. I got caught in Jets game traffic once trying to get from Conn to NJ on I-95 and it was horrible. I expect the same would be true on I-5.

Wishful thinking...not practical.

I'm not saying it's practical. Just saying that's what true fans should do (sell their seasons to other Bills fans). I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that someone was sitting in my seat rooting for the opponent!

Mileage-wise, that's true.  Traffic-wise?  Not true.  Even on a weekend, and particularly with game-day traffic, 60 miles in Southern Cal takes a hell of a lot longer to drive than 75 in WNY.  I got caught in Jets game traffic once trying to get from Conn to NJ on I-95 and it was horrible.  I expect the same would be true on I-5.

The 5 Freeway is the absolute worst ..

I never go that way when going to Chargers games down in San Diego. I like taking the 210 East to the 15 South ... Past Norco, Lake Elsinore, and Temecula

A bit more mileage-wise, but alot less traffic ..

Here's a plan...move the Chargers to Oceanside. It's 45 miles North of SD and an easy commute from SmelL A and OC.

Then I wouldn't have to travel too far to see the games. In fact I know the perfect chunk of land where they could put it...

Nah...it makes too much sense.

PTR

440087[/snapback]

It might be a good idea to keep the LA, Orange County, Oceanside and SD gangs apart from each other.

Seriously, San Diego is filled with people from other cities. Fans get hungry to see their team so they are more willing and desperate to pay a lot of money on short notice for tix. The Steelers fans may have been bothersome (with thanks to their B team handling our A team) but try to imagine every home game populated with a sizable group of opposing fans. That is the reality at Charger games. There are some very good Charger fans but collectively they may be outnumbered.

One thing that happened this year with the Chargers is that this summer they abruptly changed their timeframe for bulk sales which made it easier for walkup fans of all teams. The Chargers did this because they knew there was strong local demand for individual sales.

Not quite the same, but in DC, Ted Leonis would not sell tickets to the first two games of a Caps-Penquins playoff game to anyone with a Pittsburgh zip code. Was tired of hearing everyone complain it was like a home game for the Penquins. Only problem was, the MCI was only filled to about 80% capacity. So Leonis said screw that , I tried, but I need my building filled, and it was for game five and seven with Penquin fans.

Got a feeling lot of the same people sqauking about the Stillers fan would also be pissed if the game was blacked out due to a non sellout. And lets face it, a Bills game in early January is no guarantee of a sellout. Remeber, even in the glory years, couple of those last games didn't sell out as the Bills already had home field locked up.So its not just if the team is out of the race.