LAMP: Was I just fired?

mcjeff215

I just got a "I think you might want to find something else, this isn't working for you. If you don't want to, I can't argue that, but we might have to make that decision for you if your not able to fit in with the group. You're not happy. This isn't what you expected.  You need to make sure you're happy.  You don't have to make up your mind now."

This place has screwed me pretty hard since I got here. I think the grace time is the VP's apology.

-Jeff

433726[/snapback]

I hire a lot of people, I fire very few. Instead I put them on waivers. That's what your boss is doing. You've been waived, time to find a new job or go to the minors(unemployment). Unless of course, you want to work hard to get back in the good graces. It's much better to waive someone. As a matter of fact, I decided in the shower tonight to waive one particularly annoying a-hole tomorrow am in front of everyone. Sometimes, you gotta shake up the team a bit, it's healthy. Looking forward to an extra productive workday tomorrow. <_<

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The situation keeps getting more and more complex. Rumor now has it that each department was told to get rid of two people, because we should "always be removing the weaker players." They just hired three more people.

I guess that means the poor new guy that likes to visit his family once a week. None of that core group I believe I mentioned is vulnerable.

You know, the more I think about it, the stranger it becomes. How did he know I "wasn't happy?" I've talked to the guy three times. Once at interview time, once in an elevator, and today. That's a BS reason. Tried to lure me into saying "You're right, I quit."

Some of the guys I work with have some conspiracy theories. That that "elite group" tells the CEO how they see things, and he in turn passes his orders down to our VP. I stay as clear away from that kind of political junk as possible. I'm not a political guy. I'm a Buffalo guy with a blue collar upbringing. Do lots of good work to get noticed. Or something like that.

Interview on Monday already.

At the risk of sounding racist (which, I promise you I'm not), does it matter that I'm one of three white guys on a team of ~25 Indians? I wonder if he's worried about that, thus the "grace period."

-Jeff

McJeff:

Sorry to hear about the bad news.  Hopefully the Bills win this weekend will give you a lift!

I'm a higher level exec. and have been involved in too many firings to care for.  My two cents is that they are trying to coach you out.  They may have a number of reasons why they are doing this.  Usu. the number one reason (esp. with smaller companies) is fear of litigation and sometimes, unemployment (but that depends upon the state). 

I am not one to beat around the bush so I would approach your manager directly, and ask them if they feel there is an opportunity to correct things (that is, if you want to stay).  If so, get a concrete list of what they expect and ensure that your progress is measurable.  In addition, arrange a series of meetings to measure your progress.

If you don't want to stick around, I would approach your manager (very cordially) and tell them that from your last conversation, you get the sense they feel the situation is uncorrectable.  I would then tell your manager it is an difficult situattion.  If you truly feel you are part of the problem, but they are as well - quickly lay your thoughts on the table (key here is to be very cordial and not get caught up in a finger pointing situation..start with your shortcomings and then go to theirs). Then tell them you propose that they give you 2-4 weeks (pick a number...I would go with 4 as they can always come back with less) of pay and you can part your ways.  Do it as soon as soon as possible.

You sound like a good person, make the hard decision and don't look for a job on their time.  Not only will you be cheating yourself, but you will be stealing from them.

As an aside, I would respectfully disagree with the usefullness of unions in this day and age.  With the continued march towards a global economy, they will become a thing of the past. 

As for CEO's high pay and for that matter, anyones pay, most companies look at the ROI.  Good CEO's can effect an enormous ROI.  Bad ones......let's just say that the ROI doesn't look so good.  It's similar to sports, you pay the stud free-agents big money because you hope they are going to make a huge impact on the team (Takeo Spikes).  However, sometimes that does not happen (Peerless Price).

434118[/snapback]

Sorry, that $405 for 26 weeks is in NYS....I don't know what GA has set up....

It is a gravy check alright. 

433861[/snapback]

That's $10,530 for half a year (= $21,060 p.a.), MINUS taxes. Does that really sound good to you?

That's $10,530 for half a year (= $21,060 p.a.), MINUS taxes.  Does that really sound good to you?

434365[/snapback]

I think GA is somewhere in the mid $200's per week. (Had a buddy whose plant shut down for a month last summer.)

I hire a lot of people, I fire very few.  Instead I put them on waivers.  That's what your boss is doing.  You've been waived, time to find a new job or go to the minors(unemployment).  Unless of course, you want to work hard to get back in the good graces.  It's much better to waive someone.  As a matter of fact, I decided in the shower tonight to waive one particularly annoying a-hole tomorrow am in front of everyone.  Sometimes, you gotta shake up the team a bit, it's healthy.  Looking forward to an extra productive workday tomorrow.  :doh:

434154[/snapback]

Where do you work? Not in the manufacturing (mine) business I hope. :unsure:

I think GA is somewhere in the mid $200's per week. (Had a buddy whose plant shut down for a month last summer.)

434435[/snapback]

$300 a week is the max and it's based on a graduated scale. My father is an old school Buffalo metal worker that moved down here. His shop closed last summer.

ON ANOTHER NOTE.... I just got an email from the VP that gave me that speech last night. NOW he's saying that "we've figured out how to make you successful here if that's what you want, stop by this morning some time."

What the hell?

None of this makes any sense to me. It's looking like it's time to move on regardless. I don't think they know what they want.

-Jeff

ON ANOTHER NOTE.... I just got an email from the VP that gave me that speech last night.  NOW he's saying that "we've figured out how to make you successful here if that's what you want, stop by this morning some time."

434567[/snapback]

......with coffee and doughnuts. :unsure:

You're definitely on the short list to be moved or "downsized". Not sure it's legal to fire someone for not fitting in or being like everyone else. That said, they can certainly make things uncomfortable enough for you to leave.

Find another job before they pull the trigger - regardless of what some are saying here, being fired is never good for your resume or ego. Good luck to you.

So go talk to him. Sometimes people just do not communicate - that means speaking and listening. I cannot tell you how many times I said one thing and something else was heard (and vice versa).

What have you got to lose at this point? (but keep that resume updated, fish the pond, keep a journal, and save all e-mails).

Good luck. :unsure:

ON ANOTHER NOTE.... I just got an email from the VP that gave me that speech last night.  NOW he's saying that "we've figured out how to make you successful here if that's what you want, stop by this morning some time."

What the hell?

None of this makes any sense to me. It's looking like it's time to move on regardless. I don't think they know what they want.

-Jeff

434567[/snapback]

The situation keeps getting more and more complex.  Rumor now has it that each department was told to get rid of two people, because we should "always be removing the weaker players."  They just hired three more people.

I guess that means the poor new guy that likes to visit his family once a week.  None of that core group I believe I mentioned is vulnerable.

You know, the more I think about it, the stranger it becomes.  How did he know I "wasn't happy?" I've talked to the guy three times. Once at interview time, once in an elevator, and today. That's a BS reason. Tried to lure me into saying "You're right, I quit."

Some of the guys I work with have some conspiracy theories.  That that "elite group" tells the CEO how they see things, and he in turn passes his orders down to our VP. I stay as clear away from that kind of political junk as possible. I'm not a political guy. I'm a Buffalo guy with a blue collar upbringing. Do lots of good work to get noticed. Or something like that.

Interview on Monday already.

At the risk of sounding racist (which, I promise you I'm not), does it matter that I'm one of three white guys on a team of ~25 Indians?  I wonder if he's worried about that, thus the "grace period."

-Jeff

434354[/snapback]

You are right about "Indians". I've read a report saying how they get their own people in even less qualified. Not racist, it is a truth!

You are right about "Indians". I've read a report saying how they get their own people in even less qualified. Not racist, it is a truth!

434710[/snapback]

I'm not sure that's even a problem. I'm worried about perception. If the perception is that they're getting rid of two of the three "minority" employees, they might have trouble... thus the get-him-to-quit grace period and the recent "lets create a we-tried paper trail" message. I'm not looking for people to blame, I'm trying to figure out what on earth they might be thinking. This is really turning into a fiasco.

Will be heading in for that talk soon... turns out another guy here got the same talk yesterday ( in my department ) and the same letter this morning.

-Jeff

I'm not sure that's even a problem. I'm worried about perception. If the perception is that they're getting rid of two of the three "minority" employees, they might have trouble... thus the get-him-to-quit grace period and the recent "lets create a we-tried paper trail" message.  I'm not looking for people to blame, I'm trying to figure out what on earth they might be thinking. This is really turning into a fiasco. 

Will be heading in for that talk soon... turns out another guy here got the same talk yesterday ( in my department ) and the same letter this morning.

-Jeff

434747[/snapback]

Buck up. Been laid off 3 times, once 1 year after a major move.

Gotta move on. :lol:

Dang Badol', I never knew you could be such an a-hole.

434329[/snapback]

Dude got waived. He acknowledged his behavior and told me he was going to quit anyway. There was much rejoicing among the ranks. Then, in typical no-account fashion, he called his rep and denied all claims. That's how the game works. :D

Well, my situation keeps getting more and more intense.

The company I left four months ago sold off a lot of it's properties last week. They called me out of the blue today - four months later - because one of their storage systems went down and they have no one on staff that can fix it.

Long story short, I end up going down there on an hourly rate to fix everything for them. I do.

On the way out, a director at the NEW company hits me up with.... "So when do you want to come back?" He mentioned that the VP made it a point to tell him to try and get me back. I'm the only one that knows these systems. I'm the only one... I'm the only one... blah blah blah. You know these systems, you built these systems, you understand these systems. You get the point. They want me. Bad. I'd love go go into it like that. Feels right.

But.

There's always a but.

They want me to come back as an "old company" employee, and they'll give me an offer to the NEW company within the next 90 days. The SEC filing states that those that do not get offers in the 90 days post sale get severance. I told them if they could swing a "new company" offer, I'll do it tomorrow.

Realistically, this is probably more stable, higher paying, and more secure than the place I'm at now.

Holy crap my life has gotten interesting. At least football is back in two days.

-A very very confused, Jeff.

Good Luck buddy... hope you get a positive phone call over the weekend or on monday! In the mean time, kick back, down a Blue and enjoy the weekend of football and forget about the problems that you have no control over.