LAMP: Was I just fired?

mcjeff215

Also very true.  D'ya think Jeff will be busting his ass for the company now?  No, he'll be looking for another gig while on company time, and then he'll make the company pay for his unemployment.  Not smart at all on the manager's part.  Probably works on the dumber employees though.

433803[/snapback]

And I just noticed that mcjeff is a Unix guy. Obviously he works on the network there. Wouldnt that put him in a position to steal info, accounts etc(again please Jeff not saying that you would) if he was really pissed off? Good luck to you btw Jeff.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"...You don't have to make up your mind now."

This place has screwed me pretty hard since I got here. I think the grace time is the VP's apology.

433726[/snapback]

That sucks, Jeff, but at least they gave you some time to find a new gig. Very often, the reaper just visits with a box, a security guard and a half-hour notice.

I got laid off once where a new manager said: "...and it's my job to tell you that you no longer have a job" (or snotty words to that effect).

New employers will always ask about the circumstances of leaving your last job. Old employers now are afraid of workplace libel and improper/discriminatory discharge claims, so (1) they tend to say nothing to the new employer about why you left -- they just confirm the dates you worked there -- and (2) they'd prefer you leave on your own. However, they don't care about paying you unemployment because they already have: the Company's obligation was paid to the state when you were still working there (it's a payroll tax), and the Company doesn't pay any more for you once you're gone.

Meanwhile, new employers can always smell out if something wasn't right about your leaving and the last thing you want to do is be caught in a lie. It also looks pretty bad if you're out of work when you're looking: why would someone who needs a job quit the one he had without something new to go to? The answer is he didn't quit, he got fired, and that's a red flag to a stranger (the new employer) who doesn't want to inherit someone else's problem. Plus the amount paid on unemployment isn't very much and you only get it for something like 13 weeks.

Your current employer may be screwing you by giving you the message, but if you haven't been fired yet they're also giving you a paid on-site severance to spend your time looking for a new job. Take advantage of it and make yourself look good to the new guys by claiming that you're looking to move in order to improve your position. (Which is also true!)

You might consider sitting down sorting out for yourself exactly what the problem is you are having that has led to the comment of not fitting in. Have your thoughts and desires together as to what you believe you can do for this employer and if there has been a stumbling block be able to voice what it is and how you feel it could be resolved or ask advice on how it could. 

I would suggest having a talk with the person who is in control of your situation imo :blink:

433816[/snapback]

That was my initial thought. I was very blunt and truthful. I think the problem exists because of X, Y, and Z. The reaction was something like "yeah, that's probably part of it. I know. Next."

It's a small-ish shop. The CEO and the group that I'm not "fitting in with" hang out on the weekends. They ride in together. They all attend the same worship institutions. They... I think it comes down to the fact that I don't do that. I come in, do my job professionally, and go home. I asked around about previous turn-over. The only other turn over they've had in this group comes from people who are in my boat.

I'm not trying to put the blame on them. It's as much my fault as it is theirs. I could have worked my way into those evening dinners and those weekend get-togethers, but I can't convince myself that that should have been necessary.

The guy doing the talking even told me that if you don't fit in with them, or you put them off, you've above done yourself in.

-Jeff

That was my initial thought.  I was very blunt and truthful. I think the problem exists because of X, Y, and Z.  The reaction was something like "yeah, that's probably part of it. I know. Next."

It's a small-ish shop. The CEO and the group that I'm not "fitting in with" hang out on the weekends. They ride in together. They all attend the same worship institutions. They...  I think it comes down to the fact that I don't do that.  I come in, do my job professionally, and go home.  I asked around about previous turn-over.  The only other turn over they've had in this group comes from people who are in my boat. 

I'm not trying to put the blame on them. It's as much my fault as it is theirs. I could have worked my way into those evening dinners and those weekend get-togethers, but I can't convince myself that that should have been necessary. 

The guy doing the talking even told me that if you don't fit in with them, or you put them off, you've above done yourself in.

-Jeff

433832[/snapback]

If you have a 401k with them, be sure to roll it over into a new IRA - don't commingle it with an existing one, because I think if you do, you can't roll it back into a new employer's 401k plan. Not 100% sure.

Is this the job you just started?

433823[/snapback]

Four months. Yeah. They changed management between my offer letter and my first day. They canned the procedure guys. My hiring manager quit. The guy doing the talking earlier told me that if this was the situation when I interviewed, he wouldn't have hired me. That we're playing a game of "hang on and try and survive until the end."

I'm not assigning all of the blame on them. I'm sure some of it sits on my shoulders. I came in thinking I had a 9-5 gig. I worked in that mode until I got chastised for not staying until 9....

Yeah, I figured as much.    It was a face to face conversation, scheduled via Exchange. 

Guy told me that I've been screwed since I got here, but there comes a time in which, regardless of fault, it's not possible to repair the relationship.  I'm welcome to try, but blah blah blah blah.  There's more to it, as well. Not that it matters.

Anyone need a Unix guy in Atlanta? <_<

433802[/snapback]

Not in Atlanta, but Norcross is probably close enough. Holcomb Bridge and Peachtree Industrial. A while back when you were looking I emailed you about the place I work. Still interested? I don't work in the IT department, but I'm pretty sure I can get you an interview with the IT VP.

Make sure you are officially fired to get that unemployment. Then take a some time off and look for another job while the govy checks roll in. Maybe even travel to a Bills game or two.

433855[/snapback]

Sorry, that $405 for 26 weeks is in NYS....I don't know what GA has set up....

It is a gravy check alright. Plus, if you have a friend with a business who you can do some work for and get paid cash, you really come out ahead...

Not in Atlanta, but Norcross is probably close enough.  Holcomb Bridge and Peachtree Industrial.  A while back when you were looking I emailed you about the place I work.  Still interested?  I don't work in the IT department, but I'm pretty sure I can get you an interview with the IT VP.

433856[/snapback]

You know it. Very interested as of 11:00 this morning!

Ahh, just kidding Marv....

Look At Me Post

Means an off-topic thread, or something that is posted which draws attention to the person posting it.

433865[/snapback]

Got it. Thanks. And I won't ask anymore insulting questions on the board. Gheeesh!!