Kelly Holcomb!

Frez

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, listen up. Losman starts vs Houston and gets full support from the coaches, players, fans, etc.. BUT,,,,and this is a huge BUT. If Losman is scatter-brained in the first half against the Texans ...say 6 for 17, 89 yds 0 td's, 2 int's...he will not see the field in the 2nd half. That's a guarantee. Donahoe, Mularkey...they all know how crucial this first game is to win. They didn't forget Jacksonville last year. That game cost us the playoffs. They will not risk losing to Houston if Losman isn't cutting it.

I'll take my lumps too, but lets open our eyes to what's going on with our QB's.

427611[/snapback]

Yeah, but like it or not JP is our guy. He's got to start at some point so we can see what he's got. Pulling the plug on him because of a few bad pre-season games just isn't an option. I like winning as much as anybody, but at some point you have to look at the long term goals of the organization. A team can only get so far with a guy like Holcomb at the helm.

Guys, listen up.  Losman starts vs Houston and gets full support from the coaches, players, fans, etc..  BUT,,,,and this is a huge BUT.  If Losman is scatter-brained in the first half against the Texans ...say 6 for 17, 89 yds 0 td's, 2 int's...he will not see the field in the 2nd half. That's a guarantee.  Donahoe, Mularkey...they all know how crucial this first game is to win.  They didn't forget Jacksonville last year.  That game cost us the playoffs.  They will not risk losing to Houston if Losman isn't cutting it.

427617[/snapback]

I disagree. The Bills coaching staff is also smart enough to realize that all young QBs have bad days and struggle early in their careers. They're not going to throw away their investment because of a bad half of football. Unless Losman is hideous on a Ryan Leaf level, he's not going to be benched this year. Putting him on a short leash is the absolute worst thing to do for his confidence, because it makes him worry more about looking over his shoulder at the #2 QB than worrying about the real competition.

Guys, listen up.  Losman starts vs Houston and gets full support from the coaches, players, fans, etc..  BUT,,,,and this is a huge BUT.  If Losman is scatter-brained in the first half against the Texans ...say 6 for 17, 89 yds 0 td's, 2 int's...he will not see the field in the 2nd half. That's a guarantee.  Donahoe, Mularkey...they all know how crucial this first game is to win.  They didn't forget Jacksonville last year.  That game cost us the playoffs.  They will not risk losing to Houston if Losman isn't cutting it.

427617[/snapback]

"One half! That's all you get, JP" says MM. "Better not screw it up"

Give me an fn break.

427617[/snapback]

I don't think he will be pulled in the first 4 games. Kicking Bledsoe to the curb

means you have to play this scenario out for at least 4 games or you look indecisive.

The fans won't get on Losman. He comes in with a saviour, Anybody but Bledsoe,

free pass for awhile. An 0-4 or 1-3 start and the showroom shine might fade pretty fast.

I disagree.  The Bills coaching staff is also smart enough to realize that all young QBs have bad days and struggle early in their careers.  They're not going to throw away their investment because of a bad half of football.  Unless Losman is hideous on a Ryan Leaf level,  he's not going to be benched this year.  Putting him on a short leash is the absolute worst thing to do for his confidence,  because it makes him worry more about looking over his shoulder at the #2 QB than worrying about the real competition.

427624[/snapback]

I didn't say they would bench him for the season. I'm just saying for the 2nd half of the home opener if things are not going well.

I don't think he will be pulled in the first 4 games.  Kicking Bledsoe to the curb

means you have to play this scenario out for at least 4 games or you look indecisive.

The fans won't get on Losman.  He comes in with a saviour, Anybody but Bledsoe,

free pass for awhile. An 0-4 or 1-3 start and the showroom shine might fade pretty fast.

427631[/snapback]

Nah. The fans have repeatedly proven that they'll rip the QB to shreds the first time he makes a mistake. I expect the boos to be raining down by halftime of the first bad home game JP has, even if he threw four TDs the previous week.

I didn't say they would bench him for the season.  I'm just saying for the 2nd half of the home opener if things are not going well.

427632[/snapback]

If you bench him halfway through his first start, its over. You may as well plan on drafting a new QB next year. They'd be sending the message to JP that his next mistake could be his last in any given game.

Without seeing the game (just following it on nfl.com), it seems like the gameplan tonight was to work on the passing game. Even into the 4th quarter, we still haven't run the ball as many times as JP dropped back to throw in 2 quarters. This is kinda like working on the zone during the first GB drive a couple of weeks ago. That's just my opinion -- as uninformed and pedestrian as it is.

Um no thanks.

We start holcomb JP will be starting by week 2.  Holcomb gets hurt all the time. he is best as a backup.

Now is the only good time to start Losman.

427574[/snapback]

Did you watch the number of shots Holcomb took over the last 2 seasons playing in Cleveland? There isn't a QB in the NFL not named Bledsoe who could've withstood that punishment.

If you bench him halfway through his first start,  its over.  You may as well plan on drafting a new QB next year.  They'd be sending the message to JP that his next mistake could be his last in any given game.

427638[/snapback]

If his ego is that fragile ..... I'd just as soon start looking for a real QB now.

Now I want JP to be sucessful as much as every Bills fan does. But if the excuse we have to use for not benching him if he is stinking out the joint is "we might hurt his feelings" ............ well maybe the kid just isn't tough enough to play ball.

Plus, if you pull Losman now...after only 4 preseason games into his NFL starting career...thats it, its over.  You'll totally piss on his confidence and he'll be a wasted pick for us because he wont recover from it.  You cant tell a guy that he's your starter and then wet your pants when your young player has growing pains.

427579[/snapback]

Do other football players ball up and cry when they are benched? I had no idea we drafted such a fragile flower. Makes me wonder if we shouldn't have kept Bledsoe after all - he may have stunk, but at least he was convinced to the end that he could get his game back...

They stuck with Bledsoe through an ocean full of bonehead plays and lame excuses for failure. I'm sure Losman won't have his plug pulled after one half.

Although, I must say, he doesn't seem to be very prepared to start every game in the NFL yet. Everyone uses the "It's only preseason" excuse, but for the most part, he was going up against the first team opposition he should expect to see when the games count, and didn't do very well. He needs time, yes, but the regular season is here and the offense has looked pretty terrible all preseason long, and it makes you wonder if they just aren't ready, or if Mularkey and the rest of his staff are geniuses for not showing their offense (they certainly didn't apply that philosophy to defense, so I doubt it).

We'll see how long this "relax, he's still adjusting" attitude carries into the season if he flounders.