Stamer Vs. Posey

frogger

are there still people outside of the Bills Org that don't believe that Stamer is a better player?

Watching what I did friday night furthers my belief that Stamer should be the starter and posey should be on ST and pass rushing downs. stamer is quiker, stronger, is a better blitzer, and is better in coverage.

are there still people outside of the Bills Org that don't believe that Stamer is a better player?

Watching what I did friday night furthers my belief that Stamer should be the starter and posey should be on ST and pass rushing downs.  stamer is quiker, stronger, is a better blitzer, and is better in coverage.

401210[/snapback]

That's a lot to gather from one scrimmage from a guy who has 0 career starts. I like Stamers potential, but to clearly say he's "better than posey" is a big stretch. Posey plays slb. He's not gonna make the plays that takeo spikes makes, as wlb's generally don't have to deal with blockers and are free to roam around and just make plays. he's also not london fletcher. However I don't think you'll find many wlb's or middle lb's as good as spikes and fletcher. When we got posey I was expecting someone who would give us a solid pass rusher in the bryce paup mode. Obviousily the switch from the texans 3-4 to the bills 4-3 base 46 defense has led to a dropoff in posey's sack totals. However Posey has shown the ability to hold the point of attack, be solid in pass coverage, and do enough to be a starter on the leagues #2 defense the past 2 seasons. Could we use a true pass rushing lb sure. Stamer has to prove he can be that guy, until than it's posey's job and rightfully so.

The thing I like about Stamer he just seems to love the game.. He is out there to make a play or just hit someone.. That was evident by his Special Teams play last year.. From what I have read on camp reports this last week and watching the scrimmage,it sure sounds like he is trying to make a real push..

You really don't hear Posey's name too often if at all..

It's true Posey hasn't improved- or come close to the numbers he put up in his last year in Houston. he batted 5 passes out of the air that year, has had none with Buffalo- but that maybe because he's more of a "piece of the puzzle" instead of being the man. I doubt they'll make a change.

I like Stamer.

But I trust Gray et al to put the players who fit best on the field.

It's possible that Stamer could start for most teams but let's give Posey credit for being a part of one of the best Ds in the league. For all we know, Stamer fits the "Spikes" role and can't do Posey's job on the field nearly as well as Posey.

Posey may not make the highlight reels like Fletcher and Spikes, but he does his job. He doesn't make the big play, but he doesn't make mistakes, either. He's just a solid starting SLB who doesn't try to do more than is asked of him. Stamer is an excellent find for an undrafted player, but he's got an uphill fight to beat out a steady player on the #2 defense in the league.

I've posted this several times here, but it always needs to be restated. If you go back and look at the games Posey played in Houston or read up about him there, the majority (5.5-6 of the 8) sacks in the one year that he had a lot of sacks DID NOT come from being an OLB in a 3-4, they came on passing downs when he put his hand down and rushed the passer like a pure DE. When he did this is 2003 (which was not all that much) on the Bills he got 5 sacks including causing two fumbles and one safety. Last year, he hardly rushed like that at all. His sacking in his career was not from the LB spot on blizes, for the vast majority of them.

Pure and simple, if Stamer gets to a point where he becomes a better player than Posey at that position, he WILL take the starting job. The coaches we have always want to put the best players on the field. They have thousands of hours of film, hundreds of years of experience, and an up close and personal relationship with the players they coach. Stamer has done nothing but impress me since he became a Bill. He's got a ton of heart, a nose for the ball, and he's very strong. He's still a little stiff out there and has liabilities moving laterally though. I think we can have faith though that if he's the better guy, we'll see him in the lineup.

Let me 'splain something to you about NFL football. It doesn't matter who the better player is. Posey has job security because the Bills have a lot of money invested in him. Stamer was a free agent who the Bills have much less invested in which makes him expendable. Like the rest of the players who aren't getting paid like the starters, Stamer is still fighting for a roster spot despite the fact that he appears to be the better player. Ah, the politics of football...

Let me 'splain something to you about NFL football.  It doesn't matter who the better player is.  Posey has job security because the Bills have a lot of money invested in him.  Stamer was a free agent who the Bills have much less invested in which makes him expendable.  Like the rest of the players who aren't getting paid like the starters, Stamer is still fighting for a roster spot despite the fact that he appears to be the better player.  Ah, the politics of football...

401316[/snapback]

That is true in some situations but I don't agree at all that it's the prevailing thought at one Bills drive under this staff. Posey in fact is very inexpensive to the team for a solid, yet not spectacular starter in the 2 years running #2 D in the NFL. The better player will play under this staff and their short history has proven this to be true.

Posey is a solid LB who does what needs to be done and holds down the fort...yah he isnt a hilite reel type of LB, but he does his job and does it well...i think he takes a lot of flack from some people, because people expect too much from him after seeing Fletch and Spikes make all of the hilite reel plays...

I think Stamer has taken a couple years to develop and this season will be his best yet and it wouldn't surprise me to see him taking over Posey's roster spot. I think Posey has been less than the Bills expected even though they'll never say that.

Watching what I did friday night furthers my belief that Stamer should be the starter and posey should be on ST and pass rushing downs.  stamer is quiker, stronger, is a better blitzer, and is better in coverage.

401210[/snapback]

There is a great post on TSW where C Nittam reviews our D play after he used TIVO to recview the scrimmage in detail. His findings looking at detail certainly coincided with my cursory viewing since and how last season played out that Posey is actually well used and plays well and is a key to our outstanding D performance the last two years and against the Pack on Friday except for some great work led by Farve in the redzone.

Posey excels in reading the O well to determine whether they are running or passing on a particular play and getting back into position to force the O to not do what they want and allow both Spikes and Fletcher to clean-up the trash with tackles,

It makes perfect sense that Posey is more experienced than Stamer, that he is a couple of inches taller than Stamer and as best as I can tell a faster player. I think you are probably wrong in saying that Stamer is a better player. Posey is certainly a good player based n him starting all 16 games and being a key player iin a good D 2 years in a row.

I like Stamer and maybe one day he will step up or contract numbers will make him the way to go, but not today or this season from what i see.

401210[/snapback]

I'll second that. I've liked Stamer all along. I think he'll be good.

If Stamer were better than Posey, he would - or will - be starting. These guys are evaluated live and in film everyday by an excellent coaching staff.

I love how we fans know so much more than professional football people.

If Stamer were better than Posey, he would - or will - be starting. These guys are evaluated live and in film everyday by an excellent coaching staff.

I love how we fans know so much more than professional football people.

401744[/snapback]

I agree. Let's close down TSW because every decision made by a GM or a coach is always correct.

If we keep it open, let's confine postings to blind worship. There is nothing else to discuss.

I agree. Let's close down TSW because every decision made by a GM or a coach is always correct.

If we keep it open, let's confine postings to blind worship. There is nothing else to discuss.

401748[/snapback]

No, let's keep it open so the sarcastic experts can bash everyone who doesn't agree with them.

After reading questions about Posey, I kinda wondered why I've never even heard rumors that his starter status may be in jeopardy. (He's not sacking the QB often, not racking up tackles, not batting down passes... what is he doing!? )

I went back and watched the D-Line very closely this weekend while replaying the scrimmage on on my DVR (wife went to NYC). I learned a bit about our zone blitz. While I knew that it disguised where the extra rusher was coming from, and sometimes lead to weird choices (Edwards in pass coverage?), what I didn't know is that Posey seemed to be the central player.

The key to the way we blitz is for Posey to come up right at (or near) the LOS, outside the LDE, and threaten to rush in. Half the time he rushes in on these plays, the other half of the time he steps toward the QB (so his rush has to be honored), and falls off into coverage. On running plays, of course he continues to crash in, but is usually a half step behind the DEs, DTs and whoever was called to be the blitzer (so he often does not get the tackle). Watching closely, I'd say this is not easy, and there is an art in just how much he can come in without leaving too much space behind himself for receivers, dependent on the opposing personnel, and what blitz was called (who's shifting to cover thehole left by the blitzer).

I think Posey has many better traits than Stamer for this role: he's more nimble, is taller, has a larger wingspan (wingspan really helps if you may be a few inches too close to the QB when he lobs a pass over you), and I would guess that he's much more adept at making these reads than Stamer.

I was surprised to see that Ryan Denney seemed to be the other "keeper" who was playing the Posey role in the Scrimmage (Wendell Hunter did too at the end). Denney is very tall (6' 7''), quick, has experience rushing from the end of the line, and of course he's not a starter so he can fill in for Posey. Considering these points, I think he's a better choice than Stamer to replace Posey, if we had too.

I am impressed that we seem to have a DE backing up our starting LB (at least for the blitzes). This is an example of Buffalo customizing their defense based on the strenghths of the players on the team.

I saw 15 plays where Posey played this role very well, and one where Milloy was saying (I think) that he did not fall off fast enough, on one of GB's few completions.