Back from the scrimmage

Fezmid

The Spikes guy they showed on TV a couple of time was wearing the throwback jersey and a Bills hat...you?

400858[/snapback]

Nope, mine's a regular home jersey.

I was wearing a Bills hat -- one with the new secondary logo.

There goes my chance for 15 minutes of fame :D

CW

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, mine's a regular home jersey.

I was wearing a Bills hat -- one with the new secondary logo.

There goes my chance for 15 minutes of fame :)

CW

400862[/snapback]

I did see another guy in a Spikes jersey, but he was wearing a COMCAST hat... :D

It was the 1st drive, where he threw the ball to Evans and the announcers even talked about how there was illegal play by the CB and would have been a flag.  On replay you could see the DB's hand around Evans' waist, which is illegal.

The 2 throws that were short weren't "bad decisions," they were bad throws.  There's a difference there.  But again the pass that was almost INT'd WAS a bad decision.  And on the play where he threw to Reed, I'm sure he didn't see that he was out of the endzone, but he put it where only Reed could get it.  So his bad decision was not running it in, but I'm thinking he heard the "pass first, run second" voice in his head.

400851[/snapback]

As I stated in another thread, I thought it was an encouraging sign to see JP try to throw the ball to Reed instead of running it. It was the wrong decision on that particular play, but in the big picture, it shows that JP can keep his composure and his wits about him when flushed from the pocket and maintain his focus on his recievers down the field. A lot of young QBs don't have the presence of mind to do that. And as you say, it was thrown where either Reed was going to catch it, or no one would.

What game were you guys watching? I thought JP looked mighty fine... I said to my bro, i can't wait to see how people react to these performances on TV to see how people judge talent and ability. I thought as a whole, Our defense played great, Line played great receivers were solid etc. JP looked fine for his "rookie" outing. I feel more comfortable after watching this scrimmage with him at the reigns.

As I stated in another thread,  I thought it was an encouraging sign to see JP try to throw the ball to Reed instead of running it.  It was the wrong decision on that particular play,  but in the big picture,  it shows that JP can keep his composure and his wits about him when flushed from the pocket and maintain his focus on his recievers down the field.  A lot of young QBs don't have the presence of mind to do that.  And as you say,  it was thrown where either Reed was going to catch it,  or no one would.

400880[/snapback]

They didn't want the QB's running, since they couldn't get hit. That's why JP forced the throw near the end zone. Over all he looked good for 1 week of camp under his belt.

I'm not saying it wasn't SUPPOSED to be a penalty -- but the refs didn't call it so it wasn't a penalty.  There's tons of plays that are supposed to be penalties but aren't called because the refs miss it.

Well that's the difference between perception and reality. The reality is that Evans WAS being interfered-with and SHOULD have drawn a penalty. Maybe it IS missed in a real game, but it still doesn't mean that it would be any less illegal and a bad non-call by the refs.

I'm LMAO at anyone who thought JP looked bad.  Really, were you watching the same game?  Going 6-10 (really since that Evans incompletion was PI), not really getting sacked, and only making one really bad decision that didn't cost him anything?

400834[/snapback]

I agree, what game were they watching. JP looked good for his first time out there. Is there room for improvement ? Yes. But a solid first start. You just cant please everyone.

I agree, what game were they watching. JP looked good for his first time out there. Is there room for improvement ? Yes. But a solid first start. You just cant please everyone.

You can't really sneeze at (in reality) 60% completion, no turnovers (even though there was almost one, it doesn't count), and no sacks.

Hey Fez - Have you viewed the tape of the scrimmage yet?

I think your view of JP's play will rise quite dramatically after you do.

It seems to me based on what I saw and what you said you saw (Plus the pro-GB company you were with) that your view was somewhat clouded

JP played well but made a few mistakes especially in the last set of plays.

All in all, though, I was extremely encouraged and - if he improves - there is every reason to be hopeful he can perform at Drew-ish level quckly and then...beyond

a view from Central Joisy

BTW - I watched Gandy pretty closely and he seemed to do well early on. I will be dubbing the game later today and will be able to better evaluate this. I was, like most everyone else, focused entirely on JP last night!

-RnJ

What game were you guys watching?
I agree, what game were they watching. JP looked good for his first time out there.
You can't really sneeze at (in reality) 60% completion, no turnovers (even though there was almost one, it doesn't count), and no sacks.
I guess you're too young to remember Todd Collins. Now that was terrible.

Sorry I bothered to give my impressions from the game. Apparantly if you don't kneel down before JPL, you don't know what you're talking about. I apologize for my ignorance.

CW

Sorry I bothered to give my impressions from the game.  Apparantly if you don't kneel down before JPL, you don't know what you're talking about.  I apologize for my ignorance.

CW

400975[/snapback]

Reread the entire thread. Not one person said he played great. A dozen or so posters replied and you got one person who thought he played mighty fine."

That was by far the highest compliment. Another said he played pretty good and a couple thought he played pretty good for his first time out. People were taking umbrage with the fact you said he "played terrible", which normally would imply losing the ball, wildly over throwing, getting sacked all over, fumbling, throwing interceptions, forcing into double and triple coverages, missing wide open guys for scores, etc. He did none of that.

Sorry I bothered to give my impressions from the game.  Apparantly if you don't kneel down before JPL, you don't know what you're talking about.  I apologize for my ignorance.

CW

400975[/snapback]

But, you're fun to pick on. :D

I thought (contrary to what I've read here) that JPL looked terrible.  He was underthrowing receivers a lot.  He tried throwing a TD to a receiver in the endzone when the receiver was a good 1-2 yards out of the endzone already.  Overall, he just looked below average at best.  My brother-in-law watched the game on TV and the first thing he said to me when I got in the house was, "If Losman doesn't get better, you guys are screwed."

I agree.....

JP looked somewhat awkward to me but he did have a few decent throws. He also had a few NOT so decent throws. He basically looked like a rookie. I'm real happy we have Kelly Holcomb & Shane Mathews but I do explect JP to improve quite a bit.

Though JPL looked a little twitchy at times, I’d take him as he is now over Drew as he finished last year.

A few comments on the moments that didn’t look so good (beyond the one obvious bad choice the needs to learn from) : When he under-threw his receivers he was delivering the ball where it could not be intercepted. On one of those, he under-threw Evans when he was double-covered, I think deciding at the last moment he shouldn’t be throwing there. He also rushed when reacting to a corner blitz, and overthrew Evans right after that. On the bad snap, the count was on one, and he barked out something unexpected (to Roscoe I think) and Teague thought it was him calling for the snap. But these are only the negatives. Overall, I’m very impressed.

you said he "played terrible", which normally would imply losing the ball, wildly over throwing, getting sacked all over, fumbling, throwing interceptions, forcing into double and triple coverages, missing wide open guys for scores, etc. .

400977[/snapback]

In a word, "Drew-ish". :D

You're certainly entitled to your opinion Fez. We all know that you really don't like JP and/or don't like the fact that Drew was cut so we know where you're coming from. But if "terrible" is throwing for a 60% completion percentage, not getting sacked, and showing great mobility, give me "terrible" all season long!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion Fez.  We all know that you really don't like JP and/or don't like the fact that Drew was cut so we know where you're coming from.  But if "terrible" is throwing for a 60% completion percentage, not getting sacked, and showing great mobility, give me "terrible" all season long!

401170[/snapback]

Where have I posted that I don't like JP and don't want him to do well? :blink:

It's ironic, actually, because all of this JP praise I'm reading it similar to what I was posting last year. Bledsoe throws the ball low or high so that knly the receiver can catch it and people say, "Moulds doesn't have hands on his knees to be able to catch that ball!" JPL does it, and some here are posting, "That was a great decision! He threw it where only the receiver could catch it!" After a game, people would say, "Yeah, we won, but Drew almost threw an interception!" but after the scrimmage, the same people are saying, "It wasn't an interception, so don't worry about it!"

Oh, and he was sacked at least once during the scrimmage, but people are saying that doesn't count because JPL could've escaped it. :P

Also keep in mind that JPL has never conducted a TD drive yet. I thought winning and scoring TDs were the only thing that mattered for a QB (based on posts last year).

CW

Where have I posted that I don't like JP and don't want him to do well?  :blink:

In my recollection, your words regarding JP have been in the negative light. It's like "well he's shown nothing, but I hope I'm wrong and he does well." If I'm remembering that wrong, I'm sorry.

It's ironic, actually, because all of this JP praise I'm reading it similar to what I was posting last year.  Bledsoe throws the ball low or high so that knly the receiver can catch it and people say, "Moulds doesn't have hands on his knees to be able to catch that ball!"  JPL does it, and some here are posting, "That was a great decision!  He threw it where only the receiver could catch it!"  After a game, people would say, "Yeah, we won, but Drew almost threw an interception!" but after the scrimmage, the same people are saying, "It wasn't an interception, so don't worry about it!"

Maybe others have said that, but I never talked about "almost" plays since you could go on forever talking about them. And it's okay to throw the ball to where only the receiver can make the play, but when you don't approach 60% passing, there's a problem there. Moreover JP is young and can still learn from his mistakes and from his coaches. Drew was mostly set in his ways. And I was a Drew supporter.

Oh, and he was sacked at least once during the scrimmage, but people are saying that doesn't count because JPL could've escaped it.  :P

So you're saying that JP doesn't have infintely more mobility than Drew did and that what would have been sure sacks with Drew might not be with JP?

Also keep in mind that JPL has never conducted a TD drive yet.  I thought winning and scoring TDs were the only thing that mattered for a QB (based on posts last year).

Well to be fair, in the scrimmage the other night, they stopped the Bills' 1st drive on 3rd down and had them punt. And Willis had a TD on a drive.