Back from the scrimmage

Fezmid

This may be a FFS-type post, but that's ok. :)

I went in the stadium at 4pm, right when it opened. We had seats right by where the players came out, so I waited down there to see if I could get some autographs. There were a couple of other Bills fans down there as well which was cool.

About 30 minutes later, a few Bills came out. I was hoping they'd see some Bills fans waiting for them and come by to say hi. Unfortunately, they decided to stay and sign for the group of Packers fans to the left. What the hell, don't they know who their fans are?! I don't know who it was (I'll post a picture later next week), but it was rather annoying.

It was cool watching all of the players come onto the field. Got some pictures, we'll see how they turn out.

The Bills were practicing in the north side of the field, so I didn't get to see any of the individual practices. Saw some of the team drills when the Packers O played the Bills D. Nothing spectacular, but it was still fun.

McGee took the opening kickoff and returned it for a would-be TD (unless he stepped out of bounds, couldn't tell). I cheered really loud and had all the Packers fans in my area glaring at me. :D

I thought (contrary to what I've read here) that JPL looked terrible. He was underthrowing receivers a lot. He tried throwing a TD to a receiver in the endzone when the receiver was a good 1-2 yards out of the endzone already. Overall, he just looked below average at best. My brother-in-law watched the game on TV and the first thing he said to me when I got in the house was, "If Losman doesn't get better, you guys are screwed."

WM had some good moments. The OL didn't look like it was making big holes, but WM was hitting them while they were there. Unfortunately, there were several runs for losses where the OL whiffed.

Moulds had a nice catch-and-run play where he completely faked out the DB. Roscoe Parrish looked good - the guy's fast.. Cambell looked like he made few nice plays (but they were all at the north side of the field so I couldn't see the details very well -- we were 5th row on the goalline).

Holcomb looked decent -- he seemed to be in more control than JPL was. However we havn't played the first preseason game so lots of room for improvement for all of our QBs.

The defense looked strong. Didn't let the Packers get too many big plays and put a lot of pressure (mainly on blitzes) on the QB. On at least one of Favre's TDs, I think the Bills would've had a sack but the DL pulled up (since there's no contact with the red jersey players).

Julio Sunday made a couple of nice stops. Never heard of him before, but he has a cool name. :)

Once the third and fourth stringers came in, things started to get pretty sloppy -- the last 20-30 minutes of the scrimmage were pretty much a waste of time IMHO.

One complaint - the Bills ddin't have their names on their jerseys (the Packers did)! Made it tough to recognize the new players since I havn't been reading the depth charts and rosters yet. :(

The fireworks at the end were a lot of fun -- they were going off all around the stadium (except the south endzone). Aside from them being mainly green and gold, they were nice. :)

Aussie stopped by while I was trying to get Bills players to say hi, so that was cool seeing her and her friend (whose name escapes me...). She was lucky in that she was on the west side of the stadium, in the shade. It was HOT in the sun, but it went down at around 6pm so that was good.

Overall it was a lot of fun, and there were a handful of Bills fans that I saw. My father-in-law even saw someone wearing a Bills Paup jersey on his way in! :)

CW

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went in the stadium at 4pm, right when it opened.  We had seats right by where the players came out, so I waited down there to see if I could get some autographs.  There were a couple of other Bills fans down there as well which was cool.

About 30 minutes later, a few Bills came out.  I was hoping they'd see some Bills fans waiting for them and come by to say hi.  Unfortunately, they decided to stay and sign for the group of Packers fans to the left.  What the hell, don't they know who their fans are?!  I don't know who it was (I'll post a picture later next week), but it was rather annoying.

It was cool watching all of the players come onto the field.  Got some pictures, we'll see how they turn out.

The Bills were practicing in the north side of the field, so I didn't get to see any of the individual practices.  Saw some of the team drills when the Packers O played the Bills D.  Nothing spectacular, but it was still fun.

McGee took the opening kickoff and returned it for a would-be TD (unless he stepped out of bounds, couldn't tell).  I cheered really loud and had all the Packers fans in my area glaring at me. :D

I thought (contrary to what I've read here) that JPL looked terrible.  He was underthrowing receivers a lot.  He tried throwing a TD to a receiver in the endzone when the receiver was a good 1-2 yards out of the endzone already.  Overall, he just looked below average at best.  My brother-in-law watched the game on TV and the first thing he said to me when I got in the house was, "If Losman doesn't get better, you guys are screwed."

WM had some good moments.  The OL didn't look like it was making big holes, but WM was hitting them while they were there.  Unfortunately, there were several runs for losses where the OL whiffed.

Moulds had a nice catch-and-run play where he completely faked out the DB.  Roscoe Parrish looked good - the guy's fast..  Cambell looked like he made few nice plays (but they were all at the north side of the field so I couldn't see the details very well -- we were 5th row on the goalline).

Holcomb looked decent -- he seemed to be in more control than JPL was.  However we havn't played the first preseason game so lots of room for improvement for all of our QBs.

The defense looked strong.  Didn't let the Packers get too many big plays and put a lot of pressure (mainly on blitzes) on the QB.  On at least one of Favre's TDs, I think the Bills would've had a sack but the DL pulled up (since there's no contact with the red jersey players).

Julio Sunday made a couple of nice stops.  Never heard of him before, but he has a cool name. :)

Once the third and fourth stringers came in, things started to get pretty sloppy -- the last 20-30 minutes of the scrimmage were pretty much a waste of time IMHO.

One complaint - the Bills ddin't have their names on their jerseys (the Packers did)!  Made it tough to recognize the new players since I havn't been reading the depth charts and rosters yet. :(

The fireworks at the end were a lot of fun -- they were going off all around the stadium (except the south endzone).  Aside from them being mainly green and gold, they were nice. :)

Aussie stopped by while I was trying to get Bills players to say hi, so that was cool seeing her and her friend (whose name escapes me...).  She was lucky in that she was on the west side of the stadium, in the shade.  It was HOT in the sun, but it went down at around 6pm so that was good.

Overall it was a lot of fun, and there were a handful of Bills fans that I saw.  My father-in-law even saw someone wearing a Bills Paup jersey on his way in! :)

CW

400712[/snapback]

I thought it was a mixed result for JP as well. He did some good things but had plenty of goof ups. Not unexpected at this point.

He threw a completion to Moulds where he clearly looked off the defenders helping Moulds to get wide open underneath. Later, he stared at a receiver on the right the side in the flat and almost had his pass picked off for a TD. The defender dropped the ball. He was staring at that reciever for so long that I said "uh-oh" when he threw it that way, knowing their had to be trouble after all that staring. There was a major foul up on a snap in the shotgun where JP stepped away from his spot to say something to a receiver in motion and Teague snapped it with no one there. I am not sure if JP lifted his foot for the snap and then got distracted by somebody being in motion who wasn't supposed to be or if Teague just had a mental lapse.

There just wasn't enough going on last night to really get an idea on how he is progressing. I am not one to be comforted by trite phrases like "he played with confidence" or "he showed poise", "he had a presence in the huddle" and all that mumbo jumbo. For the most part, he made a few plays and missed a few more. He showed his arm strength, foot speed and inexperience.

I can't wait to see him next week and compare.

There was a major foul up on a snap in the shotgun where JP stepped away from his spot to say something to a receiver in motion and Teague snapped it with no one there.  I am not sure if JP lifted his foot for the snap and then got distracted by somebody being in motion who wasn't supposed to be or if Teague just had a mental lapse.

That one HAD to be on Teague. Roscoe was in motion and Teague almost hit him with the ball, and that right there told me Teague snapped it too early.

That one HAD to be on Teague.  Roscoe was in motion and Teague almost hit him with the ball, and that right there told me Teague snapped it too early.

400748[/snapback]

If you watch Teague on that play, immediately after snapping the ball, he turns to watch it roll on the ground. As I posted in the scrimmage thread, I took that as an admission of guilt. He knew the moment he snapped it that something wasn't right.

I thought (contrary to what I've read here) that JPL looked terrible. 

In between the KH/JP competition for starting QB idea and the comparisons to HOF'ers (JK) and future HOF'ers (Fav-ruh), there are some more even-handed critiques here. After one week of training camp, I thought the whole team looked good.

By the way, if you're a big guy (with a goatee?), wearing a Spikes jersey, Bills nation saw you on tv.

I was shitfaced, but I did my best to pay attention - that is one of the few things that I remember.

You're fired, Chris.  :)

I figured as much :D

By the way, if you're a big guy (with a goatee?), wearing a Spikes jersey, Bills nation saw you on tv.

I'm a relatively big guy (6'1", 250) and I WAS wearing a Spikes jersey... No goatee though, so it probably wasn't me. :)

CW

If you watch Teague on that play,  immediately after snapping the ball,  he turns to watch it roll on the ground.  As I posted in the scrimmage thread,  I took that as an admission of guilt.  He knew the moment he snapped it that something wasn't right.

400751[/snapback]

Speaking of Teague, is it just me or did it look like he put on about 30 lbs? Hopefully they are of the BigTreeInn variety and not the Rafy Palmiero variety.

(really since that Evans incompletion was PI), not really getting sacked, and only making one really bad decision that didn't cost him anything?

400834[/snapback]

It wasn't PI -- the refs were throwing flags, so if this were a real game, there would've been no flag (I don't know which one you're talking about though.)

He also made more than one bad decision. He threw the ball to a receiver who was already out of the endzone. He threw the ball about 5 yards short of his receiver two or three times. Keep in mind that he has yet to lead a TD drive as well..

I realize that it's only the first scrimmage - not even a real preseason game -- and that he will hopefully get better. On the other hand, if we have to go into the season and he's still playing like he did yesterday, we're in for a long season...

CW

It wasn't PI -- the refs were throwing flags, so if this were a real game, there would've been no flag (I don't know which one you're talking about though.)

He also made more than one bad decision.  He threw the ball to a receiver who was already out of the endzone.  He threw the ball about 5 yards short of his receiver two or three times.  Keep in mind that he has yet to lead a TD drive as well..

I realize that it's only the first scrimmage - not even a real preseason game -- and that he will hopefully get better.  On the other hand, if we have to go into the season and he's still playing like he did yesterday, we're in for a long season...

CW

400840[/snapback]

On that first deep pass to Evans, Ahmad Carroll was clearly interfering with Evans. He had him hooked around the waist with his left arm. Even the Packer-biased announcers were laughing about it.

He also made more than one bad decision.  He threw the ball to a receiver who was already out of the endzone.  He threw the ball about 5 yards short of his receiver two or three times.  Keep in mind that he has yet to lead a TD drive as well..

I realize that it's only the first scrimmage - not even a real preseason game -- and that he will hopefully get better.  On the other hand, if we have to go into the season and he's still playing like he did yesterday, we're in for a long season...

CW

400840[/snapback]

That's not really fair. On the first drive they took the ball from him on third down and six from the 34 after he had just completed two straight third down passes. He had the equivalent of one quarter of play, or 3-4 total series. His mistakes were not costly ones. The throw out of the endzone is what you want your QB to do if he is going to try that pass. What you look for in a scrimmage like this is how he reacts, how he runs the team, how he stands in the pocket, how he checks down his receivers, throws in the pocket and on the run, runs the play-fakes and play-action (which he does very well). Incompletions are not horrible when you are 6-10 or 11. He wasn't great but he looked to do what the coaches asked him to do.

I went in the stadium at 4pm, right when it opened.  We had seats right by where the players came out, so I waited down there to see if I could get some autographs.  There were a couple of other Bills fans down there as well which was cool.

About 30 minutes later, a few Bills came out.  I was hoping they'd see some Bills fans waiting for them and come by to say hi.  Unfortunately, they decided to stay and sign for the group of Packers fans to the left.  What the hell, don't they know who their fans are?!  I don't know who it was (I'll post a picture later next week), but it was rather annoying.

It was cool watching all of the players come onto the field.  Got some pictures, we'll see how they turn out.

The Bills were practicing in the north side of the field, so I didn't get to see any of the individual practices.  Saw some of the team drills when the Packers O played the Bills D.  Nothing spectacular, but it was still fun.

McGee took the opening kickoff and returned it for a would-be TD (unless he stepped out of bounds, couldn't tell).  I cheered really loud and had all the Packers fans in my area glaring at me. :D

I thought (contrary to what I've read here) that JPL looked terrible.  He was underthrowing receivers a lot.  He tried throwing a TD to a receiver in the endzone when the receiver was a good 1-2 yards out of the endzone already.  Overall, he just looked below average at best.  My brother-in-law watched the game on TV and the first thing he said to me when I got in the house was, "If Losman doesn't get better, you guys are screwed."

WM had some good moments.  The OL didn't look like it was making big holes, but WM was hitting them while they were there.  Unfortunately, there were several runs for losses where the OL whiffed.

Moulds had a nice catch-and-run play where he completely faked out the DB.  Roscoe Parrish looked good - the guy's fast..  Cambell looked like he made few nice plays (but they were all at the north side of the field so I couldn't see the details very well -- we were 5th row on the goalline).

Holcomb looked decent -- he seemed to be in more control than JPL was.  However we havn't played the first preseason game so lots of room for improvement for all of our QBs.

The defense looked strong.  Didn't let the Packers get too many big plays and put a lot of pressure (mainly on blitzes) on the QB.  On at least one of Favre's TDs, I think the Bills would've had a sack but the DL pulled up (since there's no contact with the red jersey players).

Julio Sunday made a couple of nice stops.  Never heard of him before, but he has a cool name. :)

One complaint - the Bills ddin't have their names on their jerseys (the Packers did)!  Made it tough to recognize the new players since I havn't been reading the depth charts and rosters yet. :(

The fireworks at the end were a lot of fun -- they were going off all around the stadium (except the south endzone).  Aside from them being mainly green and gold, they were nice. :)

Aussie stopped by while I was trying to get Bills players to say hi, so that was cool seeing her and her friend (whose name escapes me...).  She was lucky in that she was on the west side of the stadium, in the shade.  It was HOT in the sun, but it went down at around 6pm so that was good.

Overall it was a lot of fun, and there were a handful of Bills fans that I saw.  My father-in-law even saw someone wearing a Bills Paup jersey on his way in! :)

CW

400712[/snapback]

But the most important question: How was the cheese and the beer? :(

It was the 1st drive, where he threw the ball to Evans and the announcers even talked about how there was illegal play by the CB and would have been a flag. On replay you could see the DB's hand around Evans' waist, which is illegal.

The 2 throws that were short weren't "bad decisions," they were bad throws. There's a difference there. But again the pass that was almost INT'd WAS a bad decision. And on the play where he threw to Reed, I'm sure he didn't see that he was out of the endzone, but he put it where only Reed could get it. So his bad decision was not running it in, but I'm thinking he heard the "pass first, run second" voice in his head.

It was the 1st drive, where he threw the ball to Evans and the announcers even talked about how there was illegal play by the CB and would have been a flag.  On replay you could see the DB's hand around Evans' waist, which is illegal.

I'm not saying it wasn't SUPPOSED to be a penalty -- but the refs didn't call it so it wasn't a penalty. There's tons of plays that are supposed to be penalties but aren't called because the refs miss it.

CW

He tried throwing a TD to a receiver in the endzone when the receiver was a good 1-2 yards out of the endzone already. 

400712[/snapback]

On that play what happened is he would have normally scrambled and probably picked up big yardage, however, in the scrimmage it would have been blown dead like one of his previous scrambles. So he did the only thing he could do and tried to hook up with his receiver. I don't find fault in him for this play at all because his first instinct was the correct one.

Overall I think you're being incredibly hard on Losman saying he looked terrible. I thought he looked calm and collected in the pocket and looked like he avoided pressure with ease (yes I know it was just a scrimmage). If anything I was muct more positive after seeing last night's scrimmage than I was previous. I think Losman just might be a legitimate QB. Of course only time will tell.