Back from the scrimmage

Fezmid

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WM had some good moments. The OL didn't look like it was making big holes, but WM was hitting them while they were there. Unfortunately, there were several runs for losses where the OL whiffed.

Now that is truly disturbing! Of the games I saw last year, this worries me the most. Willis is kidding himself if the thinks he's going to lead the league in rushing if he has to carry the team again. With a rookie QB under center, you'd be stupid not to take out the running game first.

Losman doesn't scare me. He's a rookie and he is going to struggle. But it's not his job to win games anyway. Defense will play fine this year and teams might have a good year again but it's up to the other 10 guys on offense to play alot better than last year if we are to make the playoffs. Only Willis and Lee bothered to show up last year. :blink: Moulds was a disappointment and that line was horrible. I fear for JP if the continue to struggle but I think the right side will play a whole lot better.

In my last camp report, I said JP had an off day, so not everyone is just blindly praising the guy. I understand where you are coming from. ONE part of a really excellent report was accentuated because you used 'terrible' and 'JP' in the same context. :lol:

I did not see the scrimmage but even the Demagogue and Comical (Leo Roth) praised JP. If your opinion was in opposition to Roth's, it must carry some validitiy! ;)

That'll teach you to have an opinion. :blink::lol:

Where have I posted that I don't like JP and don't want him to do well?  :P

It's ironic, actually, because all of this JP praise I'm reading it similar to what I was posting last year.  Bledsoe throws the ball low or high so that knly the receiver can catch it and people say, "Moulds doesn't have hands on his knees to be able to catch that ball!"  JPL does it, and some here are posting, "That was a great decision!  He threw it where only the receiver could catch it!"  After a game, people would say, "Yeah, we won, but Drew almost threw an interception!" but after the scrimmage, the same people are saying, "It wasn't an interception, so don't worry about it!"

Oh, and he was sacked at least once during the scrimmage, but people are saying that doesn't count because JPL could've escaped it.  :lol:

Also keep in mind that JPL has never conducted a TD drive yet.  I thought winning and scoring TDs were the only thing that mattered for a QB (based on posts last year).

CW

401292[/snapback]

In my last camp report, I said JP had an off day, so not everyone is just blindly praising the guy. I understand where you are coming from. ONE part of a really excellent report was accentuated because you used 'terrible' and 'JP' in the same context.  ;)

I did not see the scrimmage but even the Demagogue and Comical (Leo Roth) praised JP. If your opinion was in opposition to Roth's, it must carry some validitiy!  :P

That'll teach you to have an opinion.    :blink:  :lol:

Again, if in reality going 60%, having no sacks, scrambling for yardage, converting 3rd downs, and checking-down on your receivers is being "off," "iffy," "bad," or "terrible," give that to me all season long. :lol:

That's not really fair. On the first drive they took the ball from him on third down and six from the 34 after he had just completed two straight third down passes. He had the equivalent of one quarter of play, or 3-4 total series. His mistakes were not costly ones. The throw out of the endzone is what you want your QB to do if he is going to try that pass. What you look for in a scrimmage like this is how he reacts, how he runs the team, how he stands in the pocket, how he checks down his receivers, throws in the pocket and on the run, runs the play-fakes and play-action (which he does very well). Incompletions are not horrible when you are 6-10 or 11. He wasn't great but he looked to do what the coaches asked him to do.

400846[/snapback]

Maybe CW would be more comfortable with someone who only misses 3 passes and throws 2 TDs in a pre-season game, Hey! I remember someone who did that, let's trade JPL for Rob Johnson! :doh: I'll reserve my opinion of our QB until about week 4, by then he'll have had a chance to show us what he's capable of. :lol:

Maybe CW would be more comfortable with someone who only misses 3 passes and throws 2 TDs in a pre-season game,

Then why does anyone watch preseason games if we're not "allowed" to comment on whether a player played well or not?

For that matter, why are you even posting anything at all now, since you stated you have nothing to say about the matter until week 4?

CW

Then why does anyone watch preseason games if we're not "allowed" to comment on whether a player played well or not?

For that matter, why are you even posting anything at all now, since you stated you have nothing to say about the matter until week 4?

CW

401745[/snapback]

no offense, but it's obvious from reading the threads since the scrimmage that a couple of things are happening here. those of us on the board who supported the decision to schit-can bledsoe are looking for the positives in JP's performance, and those who wanted bledsoe to stay around for another year are accentuating the negatives.

it's all pretty self-serving. the bottom line (and a reasonable assessment, in my opinion) is that JP didn't do anything great, but he also didn't do anything terrible. with respect to expectations for a first-year starter in his first true "you are now THE MAN" opportunity, he absolutely did alright and there is ample reason to hope that he will perform adequately this season.

Holcomb looked decent -- he seemed to be in more control than JPL was.  However we havn't played the first preseason game so lots of room for improvement for all of our QBs.

400712[/snapback]

I expected Holcomb to look more in control. He has several NFL seasons and JP has had, um, er, none? (Not a bash of your comments, just a commentary on all the other people who have already begin JP bashing. I am waiting the Flutie lovers to come out of the woodwork...)

The names on the backs may have been something that GB dictated in their agreement.

Only Willis and Lee bothered to show up last year.  :doh:    Moulds was a disappointment and that line was horrible. 

401494[/snapback]

I thought Moulds played pretty well, unless there was something outside the numbers that you could comment on.

He played all 16 games, had 88 catches for over 1000 yards and 5 TD's while getting mostly double coverage.

Another year of that kind of disappointment is alright in my book.

I was not able to see the scrimmage and have had less time in general to pay attention to how camp is going this year, (see my avatar) but, I find it absolutely hilarious that Fezmid's getting raked over the coals for his report. This is the guy who has been more upbeat (almost to a fault) about the Bills than just about anybody.

How can he be "anti-JPL" if he has the Brocos-Bills preseason game available? (See his sig line...) Then again maybe Fezmid is trying to fill an icy void, by giving everyone whiplash... :doh:

Maybe JPL had an off day, like Rockpile suggested. Maybe he only threw a couple of passes so the sample size is too small. Maybe the crowd noise was a problem.

I don't think Fezmid is saying the sky is falling, though. He was really looking forward to being dazzled by JPL and was disappointed that he wasn't when he had a chance to see him play. That will probably happen to all of us on opening day, including those that have done an excellent job with the camp reports. JPL will have to adjust to the pressure of real games, but I haven't seen anything questioning whether his ability to make that adjustment, and that includes Fezmid's report.

I was not able to see the scrimmage and have had less time in general to pay attention to how camp is going this year, (see my avatar) but, I find it absolutely hilarious that Fezmid's getting raked over the coals for his report.  This is the guy who has been more upbeat (almost to a fault) about the Bills than just about anybody.

How can he be "anti-JPL" if he has the Brocos-Bills preseason game available?  (See his sig line...)  Then again maybe Fezmid is trying to fill an icy void, by giving everyone whiplash... :doh:

Maybe JPL had an off day, like Rockpile suggested.  Maybe he only threw a couple of passes so the sample size is too small.  Maybe the crowd noise was a problem. 

I don't think Fezmid is saying the sky is falling, though.  He was really looking forward to being dazzled by JPL and was disappointed that he wasn't when he had a chance to see him play.  That will probably happen to all of us on opening day, including those that have done an excellent job with the camp reports.  JPL will have to adjust to the pressure of real games, but I haven't seen anything questioning whether his ability to make that adjustment, and that includes Fezmid's report.

401926[/snapback]

The Fez only got harrassed because he said in his thesis sentence, "I thought JP was terrible." To anyone watching the scrimmage, that seemed totally unreasonable. If he said what you said he said, "that he was looking forward to be dazzled by JPL and was disappointed that he wasn't", he would not have got any or nearly as much guff. But he didn't. He said, "JP was terrible".

The Fez only got harrassed because he said in his thesis sentence, "I thought JP was terrible." To anyone watching the scrimmage, that seemed totally unreasonable. If he said what you said he said, "that he was looking forward to be dazzled by JPL and was disappointed that he wasn't", he would not have got any or nearly as much guff. But he didn't. He said, "JP was terrible".

401929[/snapback]

There were plenty of times when even JK in his prime was terrible in the preseason. Like I said, I haven't had the chance to see the scrimmage, so I can't comment on whether or not he deserved the terrible tag... I guess I'm putting words in his mouth, but I suspect he was underwhelmed in his one chance to see him in preseason.

I do think it would be a great time to point out that Bledsoe was dazzling in his first scrimmage with the Bengals. That certainly was not an indicator of what was to come either...

There were plenty of times when even JK in his prime was terrible in the preseason.  Like I said, I haven't had the chance to see the scrimmage, so I can't comment on whether or not he deserved the terrible tag...  I guess I'm putting words in his mouth, but I suspect he was underwhelmed in his one chance to see him in preseason. 

I do think it would be a great time to point out that Bledsoe was dazzling in his first scrimmage with the Bengals.  That certainly was not an indicator of what was to come either...

The problem is that JP was nowhere NEAR the zip code of "terrible." Was he great? No. But he did more good than bad, and there are a lot more appropriate descriptions of his performance than "terrible." To me, "terrible" means he couldn't have done any worse than he did (and in that vein, I wonder what he'd say of Aaron Rodgers' performance :doh: ). But again (broken record), a 60% completion percentage, avoiding sacks, throwing the short pass well, converting 3rd downs, and make correct decisions most of the time, is pretty good. Was he perfect? No, but no QB is. I don't know, now that you mention Fez having the Broncos-Bills pre-season game from last year in his sig, maybe he was expecting JP to BE perfect with his passing?

I thought Moulds played pretty well, unless there was something outside the numbers that you could comment on.

He played all 16 games, had 88 catches for over 1000 yards and 5 TD's while getting mostly double coverage.

Another year of that kind of disappointment is alright in my book.

401869[/snapback]

The fact that he didn't outplay the rookie on the other side is a disappointment. Did Moulds make the PB? :doh: I happen to think he's PB material and when he doesn't make it, you can ask him yourself if he had a disappointing year!

Did you notice all his fumbles and dropped balls?