DL Wendell Bryant released by Cardinals

Why would a losing team dump a high pick?   Something's not right with the guy.

394378[/snapback]

The same reason why they dumped Simeon Rice....... they're the cardnials

Now I'm not saying Wendell Bryant is as good a DT as Rice is a de, but I think he's worth a look. Competition never hurt no one. We could use all the fresh bodies we can get for defensive depth.

I saw this mentioned earlier elsewhere and did a little research on him.

He was a holdout his rookie season, didn't sign until week 2, missed at least the first 4 games that season as a result.

Had a decent second season, missed a few games due to an ankle injury or something like that. Put up pretty good numbers, something like 30 tackles and 4 sacks, don't remember the exact details.

Got a DWI over the summer following that season. This wasn't a "ticky-tack" DWI. He was sited for having a BCA of over .10, going 45 in a 25 zone, and running red light. Missed the first 4 games of last season due to resulting suspension.

Was only active for 4 games last season, had no more than a handful of tackles. Inactive for all of the last 4 games.

Salary cap wasn't the reason he was cut. I looked him up at NFLPA; his base pay for this season is only something like $455K.

He may have lots of raw talent, but apparently isn't motivated enough to perform at the level required to be an NFL starter.

When it comes to signing other team's castoffs, there are two extremes of posters (not necessarily anyone in this thread). One extreme wants us to sign any player that was a former high draft choice or who got a lot of playing time. The other extreme wants to keep the current roster as-is & doesn't want anyone else brought in. Both of these extremes are very deluded. :D

Being a Big 10 fan, I saw Bryant play quite a bit for Wisconsin. He was a helluva player back then, and (like the OP said) I wouldn't mind seeing what Krumrie could do with him. If Td can get him cheap, I say take a shot.

When it comes to signing other team's castoffs, there are two extremes of posters (not necessarily anyone in this thread). One extreme wants us to sign any player that was a former high draft choice or who got a lot of playing time. The other extreme wants to keep the current roster as-is & doesn't want anyone else brought in. Both of these extremes are very deluded. :D

Being a Big 10 fan, I saw Bryant play quite a bit for Wisconsin. He was a helluva player back then, and (like the OP said) I wouldn't mind seeing what Krumrie could do with him. If Td can get him cheap, I say take a shot.

394389[/snapback]

We certainly have the Wisconsin connections on this team to get a read on Wendell Bryant. Krumrie probably talks with Alvarez and his staff all the time. Troy is a legend and Lee played with Bryant for his first couple of years. If the guy is a lazy loser they would know. If he was disheartened by a bad situation in Az --that would be known as well.

I remember the holdout--I also think he and his agent did not participate in mini-camps--but I could be wrong there..something about not being comfortable with the insurance in case of injury.

No - absolutely not.  Why sign a player you need to motivate to play?  That doesn't make any sense.  A first round pick who struggles to find his place on a team isn't worth the drama IMO.

394385[/snapback]

Ted Washington was considered an underachiever early in his career as well. I believe he was either released or traded to Denver, where he played one year before signing with the Bills as a FA.

That's not to say that Wendell Bryant is another Ted Washington. Heck, I'm not even saying I'd definitely try to sign him, but I also wouldn't write off a former high 1st round pick so quickly, especially when he plays on a putrid team. He may just need a change of scenery.

For the record, the Cards didn't dump Simeon Rice. He left as a free agent. He said there was not enough "Black" culture and night life here in Phoenix, and he wanted to go someplace that would allow him to mingle. I guess he didn't think there were enough people of color here in Phx.

There's a name I recognize! He must be a great fit for the bills! Let's get him!

Bryant released

I wonder if Tim Krumrie could motivate this fellow Wisconsin Badger.

Wendell Bryant was the 12th pick in Round 1 three years ago.  I don't know the history, but maybe he just needs a boot in the ass.  Oh, and a shot with a decent team...

394362[/snapback]

Bryant released

I wonder if Tim Krumrie could motivate this fellow Wisconsin Badger.

Wendell Bryant was the 12th pick in Round 1 three years ago.  I don't know the history, but maybe he just needs a boot in the ass.   Oh, and a shot with a decent team...

394362[/snapback]

As one who lobbied for drafting him back in 2002, I think it couldn't hurt to add him to the mix. As at the time I thought he was the one gap DT we lacked. As Bryant will never be confused with Ted Washington in terms of clogging the line and opening things for others etc. Yet he still might be another Tony Williams in he could be good for 30 plus tackles a season and 4 sacks a season instead of the next Corey Simon that TSN compared him to coming out.