That loss to Pittsburgh was a GOOD thing

Had the Bills beat the Steelers that day, many of the offseason changes (i.e., farewell Drew) may not have taken place.

Not to mention that had the Bills won that game, the Jets probably would've beat the Rams in overtime. They knew the Bills lost, so they sort of mailed in the overtime. I was watching, trust me. They could've won that game.

And the Bills would've missed the playoffs. And would've drafted a bit lower. And they might have been satisfied with the season, going 10-6.

But the loss has left the entire organization truly motivated to excel this year. They spent the offseason frustrated and pissed and determined to get back on the field.

In my opinion, the Steelers played a nasty and ferocious game. They didn't lie down and roll over (like the Eagles on MNF v. the Rams a week earlier, they played like Trott Vocational that night). I was in a sports bar where there were about 50 Steeler fans, and they were going nuts during the game....in fact, they got kicked out of the bar, and they will not be back this fall. The fans were motivated, think of the team.

Plus, Drew took it upon himself to change ends of the field at the coin toss, and the Steelers not only got the ball, but the wind in the 1st and 4th. Thanks, Drew.

But I guess I really mean that. Thanks, Drew. Thanks for blowing that coin toss, which resulted in the loss, your departure, and the emergence of a truly motivated team.

Had the Bills beat the Steelers that day, many of the offseason changes (i.e., farewell Drew) may not have taken place.

And what other changes were made as a result of that game...?

Yeah, another Drew bashing thread. Where's the :yawn: smiley?

CW

Yeah, another Drew bashing thread.  Where's the :yawn: smiley?

CW

393171[/snapback]

Drew and Direct TV, they both poof put when your really need them. :blush::blink::blush::D:blink::D

I guess I really mean that.  Thanks, Drew.  Thanks for blowing that coin toss, which resulted in the loss, your departure, and the emergence of a truly motivated team.

393167[/snapback]

I concur. Drew's apparent motivation for last two years seemed to be to keep the paychecks rolling in to support his luxuries like the Whitefish, MT palace.

I was at the game and couldn't help but think that it was the saddest effort I had seen in some time. I have been to games were Joe Dufeck was QB that had more luster.

I can't accept the mentality that blowing a game was for the best.

393176[/snapback]

Hopefully they feed of that game all year long.

393171[/snapback]

Jerry Gray and the other coaches will forever CHANGE their philosophy that just because the Bills are lining up 1st stringers on defense and the offense of the other team is lining up 3rd stringers, that this does not equate to a victory.

:blush:

Yeah, another Drew bashing thread.  Where's the :yawn: smiley?

CW

393171[/snapback]

Still ripe over that loss, as is the whole team. Besides, a little (or a lot) of Drew bashing never hurt anybody. Gotta get it all out of your system before the JP second-guessing can begin!

I agree with his points though; I was in San Fran for the Bills second-last game last year, and they were yucking it up on the sidelines at the end of the game. They thought they were a damn good team. Pittsburgh showed them what happens when you walk onto the field and you're flat. If there was one game they should have been over-the-top fired up for, it was the Steelers. So I think the loss put them in their place, and forced a change not only in Drew, but in attitude. Plus, players realize the first four games can break a season.

Our defense was just awesome that game uh? Who is Willie Parker?

The whole team sucked!

393168[/snapback]

It was one of our poorest performances as a defense, yet they still did enough to win that game. Drew "gave" Pittsburg points and the win with his poor play.

I'm glad he's long gone. I'm sure our defense feels the same way.

My main point in the original post was this: They wouldn't have made the playoffs anyway. The Jets would've beat the Rams.

I'm not bashing Drew. I'm praising him for screwing up. There is a subtle difference.

He was instructed what to do with the coin toss, and he decided he was smarter than the coach, and that single event may have cost them the game.

Winning, as I said earlier, would have been nice but meaningless. Losing gave them the motivation to work harder in the offseason.

Not to mention that had the Bills won that game, the Jets probably would've beat the Rams in overtime.  They knew the Bills lost, so they sort of mailed in the overtime.  I was watching, trust me.  They could've won that game. 

And the Bills would've missed the playoffs.  And would've drafted a bit lower.  And they might have been satisfied with the season, going 10-6.

But the loss has left the entire organization truly motivated to excel this year.  They spent the offseason frustrated and pissed and determined to get back on the field. 

In my opinion, the Steelers played a nasty and ferocious game.  They didn't lie down and roll over (like the Eagles on MNF v. the Rams a week earlier, they played like Trott Vocational that night).  I was in a sports bar where there were about 50 Steeler fans, and they were going nuts during the game....in fact, they got kicked out of the bar, and they will not be back this fall.  The fans were motivated, think of the team. 

Plus, Drew took it upon himself to change ends of the field at the coin toss, and the Steelers not only got the ball, but the wind in the 1st and 4th.  Thanks, Drew.

But I guess I really mean that.  Thanks, Drew.  Thanks for blowing that coin toss, which resulted in the loss, your departure, and the emergence of a truly motivated team.

393167[/snapback]

FLMAO!!!! :blush:

Missing the playoffs just to rid yourself of one player is NEVER a good thing and to hear Bills fans say it is quite disturbing!

Sure, Drew may have stuck around for one more year but that would be worth a playoff appearance. He wasn't going to be here forever and even he knew that. Hell, if we made the playoffs last year, things would've looked good for another championship run and I'd take that, hands down.

FLMAO!!!!    :blush:

Missing the playoffs just to rid yourself of one player is NEVER a good thing and to hear Bills fans say it is quite disturbing!   

Sure, Drew may have stuck around for one more year but that would be worth a playoff appearance.  He wasn't going to be here forever and even he knew that.  Hell, if we made the playoffs last year, things would've looked good for another championship run and I'd take that, hands down.

393450[/snapback]

Sorry, Drew Bledsoe isn't leading anyone on a championship run.

My main point in the original post was this:  They wouldn't have made the playoffs anyway.  The Jets would've beat the Rams.

I'm not bashing Drew.  I'm praising him for screwing up.  There is a subtle difference.

He was instructed what to do with the coin toss, and he decided he was smarter than the coach, and that single event may have cost them the game. 

Winning, as I said earlier, would have been nice but meaningless.  Losing gave them the motivation to work harder in the offseason.

393198[/snapback]

You can't say the Jets would have won. No team likes to "back in." As it stands, the Bills would have made it if they won. That is what the season ending standings say.

Personally, I think the D is overrated. A good D makes the required stop when they have to (see Pats D). Now excuse me while I puke over that last sentance.

You can't say the Jets would have won.  No team likes to "back in."  As it stands, the Bills would have made it if they won.  That is what the season ending standings say.

Personally, I think the D is overrated.  A good D makes the required stop when they have to (see Pats D).  Now excuse me while I puke over that last sentance.

393465[/snapback]

I was watching the Rams/Jets game, and it went into overtime. About a minute in, the Bills game was over, and there were shots of the Jets sideline, and some high fiving going on. They had clinched a playoff.

Had the Bills won, the Jets would've had to win the game in overtime to make the playoffs....if the Bills and Jets finished with the same record, the Jets won the tiebreaker. It's fact.

Once they clinched, there was a change in the vibe of the game. They let it go, they lost their intensity.

Which really pissed me off, because the last 2 Rams games were basically against lame ducks....the MNF game against the Eagles, the Eagles literally handed them the game. And the Jets played tough till the Bills lost, and the Rams took it in overtime. Then the Rams played the Falcons, and were absolute Swiss Cheese on defense. There has never been a worse defense in the playoffs than the 2004 Rams.

So my favorite team....the Bills, failed to make the playoffs, and the Rams backed in, and got blown out.

Jerry Gray and the other coaches will forever CHANGE their philosophy that just because the Bills are lining up 1st stringers on defense and the offense of the other team is lining up 3rd stringers, that this does not equate to a victory.

:P

393182[/snapback]

One thing though....the steelers did have their #1 OL in the game for all the

4 qtrs....just to rub it on MM...

I thought that we had a great defense last year.....

One thing about it though....even a great defense isn't going to win every game for you.....the offense HAS TO SUCK IT UP in games where the defense is struggling.....

That was not going to happen with Drew here.......we were stuck in mediocrity......

393459[/snapback]

Great defenses get off the field on 3rd and long...We failed to do so,.....Until

we excel in all facets of the D, the D cannot be called "great"...To be great you

have to be great on 3rd downs, create turnovers, and stop the run...