Jack Nicklaus "major" record

LabattBlue

In 1986, he became the oldest player to ever win The Masters. In all, he had 48 top-3 finishes in majors, including 19 second places and nine thirds, 56 top-5 finishes and 73 top-10 finishes. In 1998, at the age of 58 he finished an impressive sixth in The Masters.

I'm sure this could be looked upon as "why didn't he win more majors when he was that close". Instead, I look at these stats and am amazed that he could be that competive in the most pressure filled tourneys each and every year.

WOW!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's pretty impressive to place so well in so many tournaments. Those who don't know squat about sports may think that he fell short, but those who do know, especially those who really know golf (which certainly is not me), will realize just how dominant a stat that is.

Last Thursday, at the age of 65, he shot a 75 on that course.

Yes, I know, he didn't make the cut.

But last Thursday, at the age of 65, he shot a 75 on that course.

I mean . . . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 1986, he became the oldest player to ever win The Masters. In all, he had 48 top-3 finishes in majors, including 19 second places and nine thirds, 56 top-5 finishes and 73 top-10 finishes. In 1998, at the age of 58 he finished an impressive sixth in The Masters.

I'm sure this could be looked upon as "why didn't he win more majors when he was that close".  Instead, I look at these stats and am amazed that he could be that competive in the most pressure filled tourneys each and every year.

WOW!!

384111[/snapback]

Actually, that is the stat that many feel seperates him from Tiger, even if Tiger is to catch is win total in the majors. Whtas funny is Jack is on record as saying that he won many of his major titles as people succumbed to the pressure of the Golden Bear on the leader board, more than him playing well. Same thing happens today with Tigert

The one thing with which I disagree is when people say that Nicklaus had better competition in his day. Last night I was listening to someone say on the radio that back in Jack's day "it was blood and guts out there every week" and that one week it was Trevino, the next week Watson, the next Player, the next Floyd, and so on. The guy said there isn't anyone today who can measure up to Jack's old competition and so Tiger has an easier time of it.

I think that's a lot of crap. For one thing, top to bottom, 1 to 125, the Tour is MUCH better now than it was back then. Golfers are better athletes now, they train incessantly, they use weights and biomechanical exercises, etc., and improved equipment also narrows the difference between the best and the not-so-best players. Not that the Watsons et. al. weren't great players, but they seemed even better back then because they didn't really have to worry about the Beems, the Curtises, the Micheels and the Hamiltons.

384156[/snapback]

Don't forget he shot 72 on Friday.

I'm sure this could be looked upon as "why didn't he win more majors when he was that close".  Instead, I look at these stats and am amazed that he could be that competive in the most pressure filled tourneys each and every year.

WOW!!

384111[/snapback]

Greatest ever- never to be surpassed.....the Babe Ruth of golf

I'd love to see a list of the people who won those tourneys that Jack finished 2nd or 3rd in. I'm guessing you'd see names like Palmer, Player, and Watson a bunch of times.

The one thing with which I disagree is when people say that Nicklaus had better competition in his day.  Last night I was listening to someone say on the radio that back in Jack's day "it was blood and guts out there every week" and that one week it was Trevino, the next week Watson, the next Player, the next Floyd, and so on.  The guy said there isn't anyone today who can measure up to Jack's old competition and so Tiger has an easier time of it.

I think that's a lot of crap.  For one thing, top to bottom, 1 to 125, the Tour is MUCH better now than it was back then.  Golfers are better athletes now, they train incessantly, they use weights and biomechanical exercises, etc., and improved equipment also narrows the difference between the best and the not-so-best players.  Not that the Watsons et. al. weren't great players, but they seemed even better back then because they didn't really have to worry about the Beems, the Curtises, the Micheels and the Hamiltons.

384175[/snapback]

I agree with you on this point. During the prime of his career there were only about a dozen serious competitors to Jack at any given point. The tour was in a major transition where the field was not entirely made up of the societal elite. At one point, either your dad was a pro, you came from a filthy rich family or you snuck in because you were simply too talented (ala Arnie). Today professionals are coming from everywhere, even Fiji!! PGA players are emerging from all over the globe. The collective talent pool has exploded and college golf is enhancing the talent development.

Jack's major record may not ever be equalled but Tiger faces greater competition.

I agree with you on this point.  During the prime of his career there were only about a dozen serious competitors to Jack at any given point.  The tour was in a major transition where the field was not entirely made up of the societal elite.  At one point, either your dad was a pro, you came from a filthy rich family or you snuck in because you were simply too talented (ala Arnie).  Today professionals are coming from everywhere, even Fiji!!  PGA players are emerging from all over the globe.  The collective talent pool has exploded and college golf is enhancing the talent development. 

Jack's major record may not ever be equalled but Tiger faces greater competition.

384248[/snapback]

That's a pretty good summary.

384156[/snapback]

On Friday he shot a 72!

I can't speak for Jack here because his prime was before my time, but Tiger has done this: He's raised the level of play on the entire tour. Every player has been forced to work tirelessly on their game because Tiger has raised the bar that high. They saw the types of shots he could hit, and they new they were at a disadvantage unless they could hit those shots also.

Additionally, Tiger has made a lot of people rich. The purses on the PGA Tour have reached near-rediculous heights ($15K for making the cut and finishing last on the weekend), thanks to the interest and sponsors Tiger has brought to the game.

On the US Ryder cup team in 1975:

• Bob Murphy

• Johnny Miller

• Lee Trevino

• Hale Irwin

• Gene Littler

• Billy Casper

• Tom Weiskopf

• Jack Nicklaus

• Ray Floyd

• J.C. Snead,

• Al Geiberger

• Lou Graham

I think most of these guys in their prime could still make

most modern pros look silly.

WOW!!

384111[/snapback]

Those are the stats that will stand the test of time. Noone will ever ever accomplish that task ever ever again!!

I have immense respect for Tiger Woods as a player and, really,as an ambassador of the game of golf, and he could very well win 20 majors, but he will not come close to the stats Jack put up. Amazing!

Just an opinion, and no way of really knowing, but... Frankly, I think if you transported Jack Nicklaus in his prime, to now, and he played Tiger, in match-play, Tiger would win 6 or 7 out of 10 rounds. Tiger hits the ball a lot farther, with just as much accuracy, and does everything else as well as Jack did. He would also not be intimidated. I watched Nicklaus a lot, too, and he was truly great. Tiger is just a better athlete, and better trained, and is just as good a player.

Just an opinion, and no way of really knowing, but... Frankly, I think if you transported Jack Nicklaus in his prime, to now, and he played Tiger, in match-play, Tiger would win 6 or 7 out of 10 rounds. Tiger hits the ball a lot farther, with just as much accuracy, and does everything else as well as Jack did. He would also not be intimidated. I watched Nicklaus a lot, too, and he was truly great. Tiger is just a better athlete, and better trained, and is just as good a player.

384755[/snapback]

I think Jack Nicklaus was the best pressure putter of all time. I think they may split in match play- but in my opinion, Nicklaus would win out on the greens.

Found this too:

From Golf Digest-

Nicklaus won 18 professional majors, including four U.S. Opens 1962, '67, '72, '80), five PGA Championships (1963, '71, '73, '75, '80) six Masters (1963, '65, '66, '72, '75, '86) and three British Opens (1966, '70, '78). Won the U.S. Amateurs twice (1959, '61). Won 70 tournaments on the PGA Tour and was leading money winner eight times. Played on six U.S. Ryder Cup teams.