Jack Nicklaus "major" record

LabattBlue

I do, I cant hit a wood. So I tee off with a Ping 1 iron. It sails about 8 feet off the ground and goes about 225 to 250 down the fairway. (most of the time ;) )

:w00t:

384970[/snapback]

"If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron." - Lee Trevino

As far as I recall, Jack didn't take as many weeks off the regular tour that Tiger does but in his time there weren't as many tournaments and the season wasn't as long. If you look at their stats, they both played approximately the same amount of tournaments, in the low 20s each year. Some a little higher, some a little lower.

384824[/snapback]

Thanks for clearing that up, good point about there being more tournaments now, hadnt thought about it from that angle

The one thing with which I disagree is when people say that Nicklaus had better competition in his day.  Last night I was listening to someone say on the radio that back in Jack's day "it was blood and guts out there every week" and that one week it was Trevino, the next week Watson, the next Player, the next Floyd, and so on.  The guy said there isn't anyone today who can measure up to Jack's old competition and so Tiger has an easier time of it.

I think that's a lot of crap.  For one thing, top to bottom, 1 to 125, the Tour is MUCH better now than it was back then.  Golfers are better athletes now, they train incessantly, they use weights and biomechanical exercises, etc., and improved equipment also narrows the difference between the best and the not-so-best players.  Not that the Watsons et. al. weren't great players, but they seemed even better back then because they didn't really have to worry about the Beems, the Curtises, the Micheels and the Hamiltons.

384175[/snapback]

That still leaves Nicklaus further ahead of his competition than Tiger, and with the bigger impact.

That still leaves Nicklaus further ahead of his competition than Tiger, and with the bigger impact.

386059[/snapback]

Maybe so, but I think the question is more about what would happen if Tiger and Jack had switched eras.

I'm not sure Jack would have done as well in today's era than Tiger has. But I think Tiger would have smoked everybody in Jack's era.

Maybe so, but I think the question is more about what would happen if Tiger and Jack had switched eras.

I'm not sure Jack would have done as well in today's era than Tiger has.  But I think Tiger would have smoked everybody in Jack's era.

386075[/snapback]

Point taken- but the question remains- was the training methods that Tiger uses available back then.