McDermott Growth/Expectations

1 hour ago, Avisan said:

Really enjoying the folks who would rather the Bills lose so they can be right about McDermott than continue to be a good team year in and year out with McDermott at the helm.

55 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

A person should know better than even to take a look at—let alone start—a thread that has the name "McDermott" in it, because it will immediately descend into the same obsessive pissing and moaning by his haters, without a trace of originality. You'd be better off hitting your head with a two-by-four for the next hour or so. 

That's all I got on this subject. 

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one…..

6 minutes ago, Avisan said:

Is being a perennial contender a problem?

The constantly falling short in the playoffs is a problem. The Eagles moved on from Reid and won a Super Bowl. So, teams do move on from good coaches. McDermott is a good coach. Nobody would argue that but is he the coach who can get the Bills to a championship. Given all the playoff failures highlighted by 13 seconds then it is fair to question if McDermott can bring a Super Bowl championship to Buffalo. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The constantly falling short in the playoffs is a problem. The Eagles moved on from Reid and won a Super Bowl. So, teams do move on from good coaches. McDermott is a good coach. Nobody would argue that but is he the coach who can get the Bills to a championship. Given all the playoff failures highlighted by 13 seconds then it is fair to question if McDermott can bring a Super Bowl championship to Buffalo. 

Have the Bills been "falling short"?  How are we measuring that?

Did the Eagles win the SB six years later because they moved on from Reid?  That seems like a stretch.  Is that what we're hoping for?  Fire McDermott so we can maybe win a Superbowl in 2030?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Avisan said:

Have the Bills been "falling short"?  How are we measuring that?

Did the Eagles win the SB six years later because they moved on from Reid?  That seems like a stretch.  Is that what we're hoping for?  Fire McDermott so we can maybe win a Superbowl in 2030?

They have been falling short. I won't count the playoff loss to Jacksonville because that Bills team wasn't very good. Everyone was just happy they made it and ended the playoff less streak. But blowing a 16-point lead at Houston. Getting blown out by the Chiefs in the AFCCG. Then we have 13 seconds which is the ultimate choke job. The Bengals dominating the Bills in OP was another disappointing and frustrating loss. Last year's Chiefs game. As I said it is fair to question if McDermott can get this team to a Super Bowl and even win one. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/20/2024 at 10:33 AM, FireChans said:

if we lose to the greatest dynasty in the NFL currently, oh well.

This feels ridiculous to me, as they are a dynasty in part because of our screw-ups in the playoffs and part of that is McDermott's decision making.

It becomes circular very fast.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Avisan said:

Is being a perennial contender a problem?

Is banging your head against the divisional round and losing not a problem?

I’d rather shoot for greatness and fail instead of settling for good enough.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This feels ridiculous to me, as they are a dynasty in part because of our screw-ups in the playoffs and part of that is McDermott's decision making.

McD

The Defensive coach who’s defense repeatedly disappeared in the playoffs😔

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

They are 15-1 in the postseason against teams not manned by the GOAT QB of all time.

it’s not just us man.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I thought McDermott showed a lot of growth last season. Last season very well could have "gotten away" from McD doing into the bye week at 6-6. They won against KC away, dominated Dallas at home, narrowly escaped LA in the clutch, took care of NE in a game that was not as close as it seemed, and came up clutch again Miami. They then took care of the Steelers in the playoffs before a combination of key injuries, bad luck, and lack of execution in the clutch cost them a somewhat close game against KC. 

But McD completely changed his vibe and became less tight and less critical of players. The players acknowledged it and the team won their last five regular season games along with a playoff game. I am hoping that McD continues to evolve as a leader and communicator. 

Everyone always says how Andy Reid is owning Mcd and is this brilliant coach and that McD simply cannot compete with the genius of Reid (being a bit hyperbolic but that's not too far off from some people's views). But Andy Reid was a highly successful coach that fell short with many very good teams and very good QB's (McNabb, Mike Vick and Alex Smith all good to above average QB's). Reid didn't just become an offensive super genius in 2018 when Mahomes entered his second year. 

You need a lot of luck to win a championship, thus far McD has had a combination of bad luck and self inflicted issues. Reid took a long time to learn from that both with his run in Philly and his early years in KC with Alex Smith. McD will hopefully put together that lucky run and continue to develop good talent with the help of McBeane  

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Is banging your head against the divisional round and losing not a problem?

I’d rather shoot for greatness and fail instead of settling for good enough.

Would you, though?  Or would you be in here complaining about the new regime and wondering why the team can't just snap our fingers and win a Superbowl?

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

They have been falling short. I won't count the playoff loss to Jacksonville because that Bills team wasn't very good. Everyone was just happy they made it and ended the playoff less streak. But blowing a 16-point lead at Houston. Getting blown out by the Chiefs in the AFCCG. Then we have 13 seconds which is the ultimate choke job. The Bengals dominating the Bills in OP was another disappointing and frustrating loss. Last year's Chiefs game. As I said it is fair to question if McDermott can get this team to a Super Bowl and even win one. 

Sometimes the other team wins, welcome to sports.  We win more than anyone that isn't the Chiefs.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FireChans said:

They are 15-1 in the postseason against teams not manned by the GOAT QB of all time.

it’s not just us man.

That's 16 games.

1/3rd of those games don't even exist if we didn't screw up and lose to KC. Meaning, KC only played those extra games because we flubbed against them.

And another ~20% of those games are games that were played against us.

So literally speaking - half of those games you mentioned were either against us, or only played because we screwed up against them.

Though to be clear: I think we beat them in the playoffs this past season with a healthy defense. We stayed with them (and could have tied the game late) despite playing with half of a defense.

Edited by Einstein
  • Eyeroll 2

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Avisan said:

Sometimes the other team wins, welcome to sports.  We win more than anyone that isn't the Chiefs.

So, your a “glass is mostly full and that’s good enough for me” kinda guy.

Awesome, some of us aren’t.

When you have the best QB in the league it’s SB or bust. 
   Josh isn’t the one not getting us over the hump. 

And, no, I’d be objectively pointing out what is wrong with the new regime if they sucked, not complaining as I am not now😉

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

So, your a “glass is mostly full and that’s good enough for me” kinda guy.

Awesome, some of us aren’t.

When you have the best QB in the league it’s SB or bust. 
   Josh isn’t the one not getting us over the hump. 

And, no, I’d be objectively pointing out what is wrong with the new regime if they sucked, not complaining as I am not now😉

I can't wait for the home opener when hang our "WE WON MORE THAN ANYONE NOT NAMED THE CHIEFS" banner. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:49 AM, Logic said:

I have no more way of knowing what McDermott would be without Josh than you do. It's almost a meaningless question, because it didn't happen and we'll never know.

Actually, that's not entirely true. McDermott had one season without Josh Allen. He took a team in the very first year of a from-the-ground-up rebuild to a winning record and a playoff berth. 

Jauron had one winning season out of TEN as a head coach. He made the playoffs ONCE out of TEN tries.

Josh Allen-less McDermott, meanwhile, made the playoffs in his lone Allen-less season. One for one.

Besides, as I responded to another poster: Having a great QB does not equal automatic playoffs. Justin Herbert doesn't make the playoffs every year. Philip Rivers made the playoffs 7 out of 16 seasons. It takes good coaching, too. 

I'm sorry, but I think automatically attributing all Bills success to Josh Allen and pretending the coach doesn't have anything to do with it is dumb. I think the "without Josh, McDermott would be Jauron" argument is dumb. He's not Curly Lambeau or Don Shula, but he's a good NFL head coach. The proof is in the pudding. You don't have six winning seasons out of seven and the winning percentage he does without being a good coach. It's nonsense.

All accurate things we can determine ^^^^

On the more difficult to outright prove side.... If you look real close and piece things together over a number of resources and years, you can glean some information on how well a coach is respected among his peer staffs (and even player comments) throughout the league. There are comments made here and there that get captured one way or another over time. You can also see the organizations that produce fruit for other organizations, in terms of staffing replacements and promotions. The Bills (McDermott and Beane) fair quite well in both of these discussions every time that I've been able to notice.

Do casual fans out there realize (I bet many heads will explode on here just from me typing this) that within actual head coaching circles, Marty Schotenheimer (the guy so many love to compare McD to) is actually considered one of the best coaches to ever do it all-time? Well, that's the case. Shock and awe, Shock and awe, I know!

• Like (+1) 1