Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Ok we are never going to agree then

And regardless it's off topic at this point

You don’t think injuries played any part?  Execution?  

just McD.  All his fault.  Got it

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GoBills808 said:

😂😂but I will just add

We werent missing '50% of the starting defense' 

It was two LBs and one corner

That's it

And Von and Jones rendered ineffective due to their injuries, along with our safeties

Just now, SWATeam said:

And Von and Jones rendered ineffective due to their injuries, along with our safeties

Oh noes

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I think for whatever reason the defense is going to lay down in the postseason, yes

They got bullied by the Bengals practice squad ffs

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

DL talent has alot to do with that.  Chris Jones is an allpro, probably best DT in football.  Take him out and see if everyone calls Spags a genius

I agree that Chris Jones is a stud and the Bills don't have a comparable individual player on the DL.

But Bills fans think Chris Jones is way more impactful against the Bills than he actually is.

In the 3 wins over Buffalo in the playoffs Chris Jones has a paltry 3 total tackles, 1 TFL and ZERO sacks.

Ed Oliver......who all Bills fans will agree hasn't played well against Mahomes in the playoffs..... has 4 tackles, 2 TFL and 1 sack in those same 3 games.

The perception is that Jones has made huge impacts.   That's not the truth though.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

And also CB injuries (Douglas).  We could barely field an NFL-caliber defense, it's a miracle they got the key stop that they did.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Oh noes

I think for whatever reason the defense is going to lay down in the postseason, yes

They got bullied by the Bengals practice squad ffs

got it.  

Stating it was their PS…..while not acknowledging that we were also missing Von, hyde, daquan and phillips.  Ed, Tre and Poyer all playing hobbled.  Shaq, Ankou, Jaquan Johnson, marlowe, settle, elam, boogie and Dane all played significant snaps. 

uet it was their PS vs our starters?  Riiiiight.  Much respect to ya, but not acknowledging any of our injuries, while also using Cinci’s injuries as leverage is a weak battle.

you don’t believe in McD. Cool.  I’m not sure I do either.  But I can acknowledge that it’s not one persons fault. That’s just ridiculous 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree that Chris Jones is a stud and the Bills don't have a comparable individual player on the DL.

But Bills fans think Chris Jones is way more impactful against the Bills than he actually is.

In the 3 wins over Buffalo in the playoffs Chris Jones has a paltry 3 total tackles, 1 TFL and ZERO sacks.

Ed Oliver......who all Bills fans will agree hasn't played well against Mahomes in the playoffs..... has 4 tackles, 2 TFL and 1 sack in those same 3 games.

The perception is that Jones has made huge impacts.   That's not the truth though.  

And yet, we have fans saying we need better WRs to win?  Which is it?  Is the offense underperforming or the defense?

Sorry perhaps I haven't been clear enough.  I'm trying to say our biggest issue right now is getting more stops on defense, against the likes of KC and Cincy in the playoffs.

Our DL has largely underperformed.  Chris Jones stats might not be there, but his impact on a game can be seen in 1 single play (pushing Dion into Josh's lap)/which cost us a TD. 

So I'm talkingmore about players on defense that "come through in the clutch", elite guys.  We don't have that.  We have elite Josh Allen, who does come through for us more often than not.  If we stick with KC, they have just as good of a QB and better disruptors/impact guys on defense.

Again, I'm not trying to compare everything to KC.  Just trying to say that most SB teams, in recent memory, have had more than what ppl want to preach is a "must have" to go to a SB (speaking on WRs).  They forget having a clutch player on defense is often part of that same team, and something we've lacked (outside of Tre in his prime).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

It's all about their crusade on McD at this point, and wanting to see him gone. 

False.

I am not a McDermott hater.

It's just clear that he's been and still is learning how to win in the playoffs via on the job training.   The Bills hired a first time HC who was more of a culture guy than a quick-thinking, clever mind and guys like that........Schotty, Cowher or even Reid........tend to have to take a WHOLE LOTTA' lumps in the playoffs before they win a SB.

But I believe McD's been trying hard to get better and I am not eager to start over from scratch(that's Josh Allen's decision anyway).   

As much as you guys push back against the notion that his defensive scheme hasn't proven challenging enough to opponents.........I think he clearly has decided to make changes on that side of the ball to try to diversify their defense.   It's obviously a huge issue.   They've become fish in a barrel defensively against Burrow and Mahomes.   

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

McDs undersized D is a built in excuse….

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

got it.  

Stating it was their PS…..while not acknowledging that we were also missing Von, hyde, daquan and phillips.  Ed, Tre and Poyer all playing hobbled.  Shaq, Ankou, Jaquan Johnson, marlowe, settle, elam, boogie and Dane all played significant snaps. 

uet it was their PS vs our starters?  Riiiiight.  Much respect to ya, but not acknowledging any of our injuries, while also using Cinci’s injuries as leverage is a weak battle.

you don’t believe in McD. Cool.  I’m not sure I do either.  But I can acknowledge that it’s not one persons fault. That’s just ridiculous 

I very clearly used the Bengals to illustrate the point that a banged up unit can still perform 

That it was against the Bills defense is just a happy rhetorical accident😂😂

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For all the talk about how the Bills don't get to Mahomes..........the Chiefs don't get to Allen either.    And yet, they were still able to force Allen to play small ball for 37 minutes in the most recent loss while Mahomes was getting like 9 yards per play or some crazy sh!t like that.    There is no excuse for getting rag-dolled like that by an opponent you have seen and prepared for so many times.   They are practically division rivals at this point.

Yeah the degree of difficulty is supposed to go up for QBs in the playoffs. The Chiefs dominated the Ravens defense in the 1st half of the AFCCG, but the Ravens came out of halftime and completely shut them down. Against us we came out of halftime desperately needing just one stop and instead the Chiefs casually strolled down the field and into the endzone. It was a backbreaking drive that I thought took the wind out of our sails. We traded TDs one more time but at that point threading the needle perfectly seemed almost impossible, and only a stupid play from a stupid player in Mecole Hardman kept us in it.

So no @NewEra I don't buy this idea that the Bills defense has been hopelessly derailed by injuries over five years of playoffs in the Allen/McDermott era. That kind of streak is a trend, not an unlucky fluke. I'm not going to re-litigate the entire divisional round but suffice it to say I did not agree with several personnel decisions McDermott made in that game. In fact our defense made a couple stops AFTER he changed personnel to what it should have been from the start. Oh well.

I wish I had faith that McDermott would turn it around but it's hard to bet against five years of data. I have faith Josh Allen can overcome that handicap but he needs an elite set of weapons to bridge the gap IMO. So that colors my perspective in this discussion. I'd be fine with this group of skill players if McDermott had proven to be a defensive mastermind in the playoffs, truly I mean that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I very clearly used the Bengals to illustrate the point that a banged up unit can still perform 

That it was against the Bills defense is just a happy rhetorical accident😂😂

Yeah….they can perform…..vs another banged up team…. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If the WR corps is a disappointment.......after his initial season with the Bills where they were a disappointment.........Henry will be easy to scapegoat.   He's a journeyman coach.  

Maybe McD can get Phil McGeoghan back from the UFL next season and help him find another WR.  It's already worked once before, why can't it again?  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

False.

I am not a McDermott hater.

It's just clear that he's been and still is learning how to win in the playoffs via on the job training.   The Bills hired a first time HC who was more of a culture guy than a quick-thinking, clever mind and guys like that........Schotty, Cowher or even Reid........tend to have to take a WHOLE LOTTA' lumps in the playoffs before they win a SB.

But I believe McD's been trying hard to get better and I am not eager to start over from scratch(that's Josh Allen's decision anyway).   

As much as you guys push back against the notion that his defensive scheme hasn't proven challenging enough to opponents.........I think he clearly has decided to make changes on that side of the ball to try to diversify their defense.   It's obviously a huge issue.   They've become fish in a barrel defensively against Burrow and Mahomes.   

I wasn't calling you out in that response, re: Coach.  

I dont need to compare him to anyone but himself though.  I've seen him adapt and grow as a HC.  He's got flaws like all others.  But he's a darn good coach, especially on defense.  

I don't think it's right to point the finger at him, when the players on the field are either subpar or performing below their standard.  Somehow is Coach doing something that's causing them to be tense/play different?  I don't know that.   But his schemes look the exact same, and aren't the issue.  Players are making mental errors or physically not executing.

I agree he's adjusting, at least from what Frazier was doing.  It's Coach's defense though at the end of day, and think it's still going to be philosophically similar.  We've been a very good defense, regular season for a reason.  For whatever reason come playoffs, we just aren't making plays up front or causing turnovers.  Yes, elite offenses are on the other side, we've also had horrible injury luck (if some refuse to admit that).  But he/players need to find a way to execute.

I just think it's a horrible philosophy to say we need better WRs, let's just score every drive.  That's an unrealistic goal.  Fielding an avg to below avg defense won't cut it either.  In my mind, we need to execute better as a group OR someone on the DL/secondary needs to start making impact plays in critical moments.  We've folded when it's mattered most, not on offense but defense.  And that's not solely on Coach, I put more of it on the players.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

And yet, we have fans saying we need better WRs to win?  Which is it?  Is the offense underperforming or the defense?

Sorry perhaps I haven't been clear enough.  I'm trying to say our biggest issue right now is getting more stops on defense, against the likes of KC and Cincy in the playoffs.

Our DL has largely underperformed.  Chris Jones stats might not be there, but his impact on a game can be seen in 1 single play (pushing Dion into Josh's lap)/which cost us a TD. 

So I'm talkingmore about players on defense that "come through in the clutch", elite guys.  We don't have that.  We have elite Josh Allen, who does come through for us more often than not.  If we stick with KC, they have just as good of a QB and better disruptors/impact guys on defense.

Again, I'm not trying to compare everything to KC.  Just trying to say that most SB teams, in recent memory, have had more than what ppl want to preach is a "must have" to go to a SB (speaking on WRs).  They forget having a clutch player on defense is often part of that same team, and something we've lacked (outside of Tre in his prime).

Your response doesn't have anything to do with my point you are responding to.    

I'm sure you had no idea that Chris Jones had done so little in those games,  did you?   Most Bills fans think he's been a force of nature because the grass is greener on that other side.

What I know is that the sky is the f#cking limit offensively with Josh Allen at QB if you give him weapons..........not this bullsh!t half-stepping job of stocking the cupboard that they are trying now.

I want to see what it looks like when he's actually surrounded with studs on that side of the ball and doesn't have to run the ball 9x per game to win and subsequently be compromised by elbow and shoulder injuries all season.  

I'd rather be the memorable Air Coryell Chargers than the totally forgettable Marty/Norv Chargers(which is what the Allen Bills have been to this point).

Because I ALREADY know that having 8 good rotational DL and an excellent back 7 with a HC whose expertise is on that side of the ball has been tried repeatedly and has failed many times already.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

They only been watching football for about 6 years now

To be fair I was sitting next to a father and 12-year-old son who swore Patrick mahomes was Jesus playing football lol

6 years watching football sounds about right

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, NewEra said:

Yeah….they can perform…..vs another banged up team…. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Hey I'm game to just sit tight and wait for the totally common occurrence of having every defensive player 100% healthy come the postseason😂😂

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Chris Jones has definitely made plays vs Allen, game changing plays. We just haven’t had anyone step up.

Yes Chris Jones singled against Dion Dawkins made a great play. I still don't understand how that happened. No one on the coaching staff thought to double their best player on a designed shot play? Just some baffling brain farts in the final critical moments of a game, which has unfortunately become a calling card of this regime.

• Agree 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Yeah the degree of difficulty is supposed to go up for QBs in the playoffs. The Chiefs dominated the Ravens defense in the 1st half of the AFCCG, but the Ravens came out of halftime and completely shut them down. Against us we came out of halftime desperately needing just one stop and instead the Chiefs casually strolled down the field and into the endzone. It was a backbreaking drive that I thought took the wind out of our sails. We traded TDs one more time but at that point threading the needle perfectly seemed almost impossible, and only a stupid play from a stupid player in Mecole Hardman kept us in it.

So no @NewEra I don't buy this idea that the Bills defense has been hopelessly derailed by injuries over five years of playoffs in the Allen/McDermott era. That kind of streak is a trend, not an unlucky fluke. I'm not going to re-litigate the entire divisional round but suffice it to say I did not agree with several personnel decisions McDermott made in that game. In fact our defense made a couple stops AFTER he changed personnel to what it should have been from the start. Oh well.

I wish I had faith that McDermott would turn it around but it's hard to bet against five years of data. I have faith Josh Allen can overcome that handicap but he needs an elite set of weapons to bridge the gap IMO. So that colors my perspective in this discussion. I'd be fine with this group of skill players if McDermott had proven to be a defensive mastermind in the playoffs, truly I mean that.

Well great, neither do I. This is the problem with your guys’ stance on this topic. I’m not blaming it on one thing (injuries).  I’m blaming it several things.  I don’t think that “injuries hopelessly derailed” our season.  I think Injuries played a part.  As I’ve stated several times. Yet it keeps coming back to you guys implying that my argument rests solely on injuries.  That’s bs and not my argument.   

if you guys want to put the blame of not winning a SB on one person so be it.  You’re wrong and you should know better.  There was more than one factor.  Not acknowledging it is strange 

That’s it for me here.  I’ve said my peace on the matter.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2