WR trade candidates, who do you want?

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The MVS signing makes me think a trade before the season is not in the cards, unfortunately. At the trade deadline I think is a real possibility though, when we would only take on approximately half of the player's cap hit this year. If Beane saves all of Tre's $10.2M that will be a sign that he is keeping in-season trade options open.

This is our locked in WR room:

Coleman - X

MVS - Field stretcher

Shakir - Slot

Samuel - Gadget/weapon/Z

Hollins - Depth/special teams

The 6th spot will be one of the rejects we've added or one of our late round/UDFA rookies from last year.

We need several best case scenarios to come to fruition for this to work. Coleman has to be ready to hit the ground running and be our primary outside WR. Shakir needs to prove he can take on a much larger target share. Samuel needs to stay healthy. The 6th WR needs to be better than Trent Sherfield.

If all of that happens plus Kincaid takes a step plus Brady proves he is a top 10 OC, we have the capability of being a top 3 offense again.

Assuming at least one of those outcomes fails, maybe we get Hopkins at the trade deadline.

It is disappointing to me to see them add another JAG.  It does seem to decrease the odds of adding a substantial WR. 

My hope is the addition is because the trade WR is of the D Adams or DHop variety, and the need for speed in the WR room makes sense.

I am still struggling with the idea that the on-paper best WR for the Bills heading into the 2024 season is the WR2/3 from Wash, C Samuel.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

How are you so sure Coleman will be better this season? Gabe Davis has drop issues as of late, but he’s still a very good receiver. Jacksonville wouldn’t shell out 40 million for nothing. Go look at any Josh Allen highlight real and you’ll see Davis on half of the plays. One of the most disrespected players I’ve ever seen as a fan. That playoff performance was a once in a life time thing of beauty. Coleman could develop into something special, but my expectations are not very high for this season. This is why Buffalo went after guys like Samuel and MVS. 

Could be the worst argument I've ever seen on these pages...  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No he never said that.  Point failed.  

Fairly sure he did.  And made a point to state no big signings.   

The point is, Beane does smoke screens a lot.  Everyone knows that.  Quit acting like a know it all.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think MVS is a good choice - if we can ever get him. He's fast, very strong which will compliment Coleman and Knox. He can run deep routes - but considering our O isn't built around that, he runs the intermediate tree very, very well. With Shakir, Samuel, Kincaid and MVS on the field - we would be unstoppable. Then we pound and grind out the large lead with RayRay and Cook and Ty. Boom baby. One can dream. Only if we can get a guy like MVS.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Blackbeard said:

Fairly sure he did.  And made a point to state no big signings.   

The point is, Beane does smoke screens a lot.  Everyone knows that.  Quit acting like a know it all.

He didn't say that, he literally said he would look at potential free agents and potential signings and then said "we might even be signing one today we just worked out" and then did just that signing Cephus.

He did however say no big trades/signings.  There is no reality or parallel universe where MVS is a "big signing".  

Sorry, I just don't know where you are getting these "smokescreens" from...I mean he is literally known to be one of the most, if not the most, straight shooting GM in the league and very candid in interviews.  It is one of the reasons people like McAfee, Eisen, etc love interviewing him because he actually gives real answers and insight.  

How many Beane interviews and press conferences do you listen to?  And do you listen to the whole 15 to 30 minutes or just see sound bites on social?  While I am sure I have missed some, I have watched most of them and the full PC/Interview, I thoroughly enjoy them.  I am not trying to be a "know it all", I just literally listen to all his PC's and interviews, and do the same with a lot of the main ones like McD, Allen, Diggs, Keon now, etc.  

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He didn't say that, he literally said he would look at potential free agents and potential signings and then said "we might even be signing one today we just worked out" and then did just that signing Cephus.

He did however say no big trades/signings.  There is no reality or parallel universe where MVS is a "big signing".  

Sorry, I just don't know where you are getting these "smokescreens" from...I mean he is literally known to be one of the most, if not the most, straight shooting GM in the league and very candid in interviews.  It is one of the reasons people like McAfee, Eisen, etc love interviewing him because he actually gives real answers and insight.  

How many Beane interviews and press conferences do you listen to?  And do you listen to the whole 15 to 30 minutes or just see sound bites on social?  While I am sure I have missed some, I have watched most of them and the full PC/Interview, I thoroughly enjoy them.  I am not trying to be a "know it all", I just literally listen to all his PC's and interviews, and do the same with a lot of the main ones like McD, Allen, Diggs, Keon now, etc.  

Here we go again.   You don't need paragraphs for a message board.

No big signings..    then Von Miller appeared.  NO GM is going to tip their hand and be clear.  Not just Beane.

No sense arguing with you.  Agree to disagree.

Edited by Blackbeard

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I think MVS is a good choice - if we can ever get him. He's fast, very strong which will compliment Coleman and Knox. He can run deep routes - but considering our O isn't built around that, he runs the intermediate tree very, very well. With Shakir, Samuel, Kincaid and MVS on the field - we would be unstoppable. Then we pound and grind out the large lead with RayRay and Cook and Ty. Boom baby. One can dream. Only if we can get a guy like MVS.

My main issue with MVS is his unreliable hands, but he does bring a speed element to the group.  Top 3 are without a doubt Coleman, Shakir, and Samuel.  So MVS would be competing for WR4 spot and a stretch the field guy mostly with Hollins and Claypool.

Personally, the guy am rooting for is Claypool because if he can get his crap together and show this team he can play the right way and be about the team, this dude could easily emerge as a major weapon for Josh as he has a ton of untapped raw ability and talent.  Im just not gonna hold my breath either on him though as its a big ask to ask a guy to change his whole attitude and mentality at this stage of his career.  The hope with him is that realizing this is his last shot and that he an INCREDIBLE opportunity to save his career playing for a culture like this and a QB like Allen.  I mean this kid was avg over 850 yards a season his first 2 years playing on raw ability and with a broken down Big Ben as the WR3 on his team.  If this kid can get his head on straight, he could do big things with Allen.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Here we go again.   You don't need paragraphs for a message board.

No big signings..    then Von Miller appeared.  NO GM is going to tip their hand and be clear.  Not just Beane.

No sense arguing with you.  Agree to disagree.

Lol...ok, just ignore everything Beane has said that has mostly all happened exactly as he said it because one time he signed Miller in an offseason where he said he didn't "expect" any big signings.  Hopefully that is short enough for you.  And sure, agree to disagree

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol...ok, just ignore everything Beane has said that has mostly all happened exactly as he said it because one time he signed Miller in an offseason where he said he didn't "expect" any big signings.  Hopefully that is short enough for you.  And sure, agree to disagree

Get well soon.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

How are you so sure Coleman will be better this season? Gabe Davis has drop issues as of late, but he’s still a very good receiver. Jacksonville wouldn’t shell out 40 million for nothing. Go look at any Josh Allen highlight real and you’ll see Davis on half of the plays. One of the most disrespected players I’ve ever seen as a fan. That playoff performance was a once in a life time thing of beauty. Coleman could develop into something special, but my expectations are not very high for this season. This is why Buffalo went after guys like Samuel and MVS. 

Because Gabe lost us 2 games last year and disappeared later in the season, dealt with injuries for a few years, and had costly drops. 

It's not hard to upgrade there (unless you're talking about blocking). He was hardly a threat. I'm sure Coleman will be better because he can catch, run after catch, and is far more athletic than Gabe. Using a contract to tell how good someone is... does not correlate. We can go down a long list of people that has massive contracts and weren't great afterward. If Bills thought he was good, they would have resigned him. 

Of course you need insurance. Samuel was here because we needed 2 WRs to start. Samuel would have been here whether we kept Diggs or not.. that signing is not a reflection of the Coleman draft. I don't think MVS will have much impact on this team. 

Edited by warrior9

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

It is disappointing to me to see them add another JAG.  It does seem to decrease the odds of adding a substantial WR. 

My hope is the addition is because the trade WR is of the D Adams or DHop variety, and the need for speed in the WR room makes sense.

I am still struggling with the idea that the on-paper best WR for the Bills heading into the 2024 season is the WR2/3 from Wash, C Samuel.

Davante Adams? Ha! Beyond his insane contract - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39610108/raider-gm-says-wr-davante-adams-traded

What part of 'we don't have that money and we don't have the ability to come up with that kind of money' don't you get? You're one step away from the ole' "I don't care, just make it happen!" and "the salary cap isn't real" refrains.

It simply isn't there and there isn't a way to come up with what it would take to get a Higgins or Aiyuk/Samuel. If there were a path financially, it would require things so extreme cap wise that there's no way Beane would do it. And everyone else on your list falls somewhere between *extremely* unlikely to be traded to definitely won't be traded - even if we could afford it.

This is why I made that post. It wasn't that I preferred MVS or Thomas over someone bigger. It's that the option was something like that or nothing. Which is why he made the move for MVS. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Posted (edited)

I'd still say 30% chance we acquire an impactful WR next month.

Since Beane has gone on an absolute warpath adding  6'4  WR's.... Finish it. 

DK Metcalf 
Coleman

Samuel

Shakir

MVS

Claypool / Hollis / Hamler / Shorter / Shavers / Cephus / Isabella / UDFA's   Battle for 1 or 2 spots on 53 and 2 on PS 

Coleman, MVS, Claypool, Hollis are all 6 ft 4.    A pretty notable development 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd still say 30% chance we acquire an impactful WR next month.

Since Beane has gone on an absolute warpath adding  6'4  WR's.... Finish it. 

DK Metcalf 
Coleman

Samuel

Shakir

MVS

Claypool / Hollis / Hamler / Shorter / Shavers / Cephus / Isabella / UDFA's   Battle for 1 or 2 spots on 53 and 2 on PS 

Coleman, MVS, Claypool, Hollis are all 6 ft 4.    A pretty notable development 

Never say never.

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Davante Adams? Ha! Beyond his insane contract - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39610108/raider-gm-says-wr-davante-adams-traded

What part of 'we don't have that money and we don't have the ability to come up with that kind of money' don't you get? You're one step away from the ole' "I don't care, just make it happen!" and "the salary cap isn't real" refrains.

It simply isn't there and there isn't a way to come up with what it would take to get a Higgins or Aiyuk/Samuel. If there were a path financially, it would require things so extreme cap wise that there's no way Beane would do it. And everyone else on that list falls somewhere between extremely unlikely to be traded to definitely won't be traded.

This is why I made that post. It wasn't that I preferred MVS or Thomas over someone bigger. It's that the option was something like that or nothing. Which is why he made the move for MVS.

D Adams has a $17M salary, that's not insane.  That was an old article linked- and how they will be keeping their own - J Jacobs.  How'd that work out.  Let's not take these sound bites as gospel.

Just because you keep saying we don't have the money, doesn't make it true.  We are getting $10M for Tre on June 1st.  Have you ignored the other thread on how the Bills are scheduled to have over $23M in cap in 2025?  That is before some moves that could be made - like Von or restructure Josh.   Potential finances seem there to me.

I don't know why you only think Higgins or Aiyuk/Samuel are the only ones.  Why eliminate DK Metcalf and D Hopkins?  And that article certainly didn't eliminate D Adams in my mind.

Ok let’s just do this.  Sign 30 WRs and play like flag football.  One guy snap it back to Josh, everyone take off, and Josh can throw it quick to who he wants before he gets buried.  If we sign enough WRs everyone in Mafia land can get their favorite.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

D Adams has a $17M salary, that's not insane.  That was an old article linked- and how they will be keeping their own - J Jacobs.  How'd that work out.  Let's not take these sound bites as gospel.

Just because you keep saying we don't have the money, doesn't make it true.  We are getting $10M for Tre on June 1st.  Have you ignored the other thread on how the Bills are scheduled to have over $23M in cap in 2025?  That is before some moves that could be made - like Von or restructure Josh.   Potential finances seem there to me.

I don't know why you only think Higgins or Aiyuk/Samuel are the only ones.  Why eliminate DK Metcalf and D Hopkins?  And that article certainly didn't eliminate D Adams in my mind

You're ignoring the cost of Draft Picks we have to sign, the cost of the Practice Squad, the couple million we go into the year with - on top of the MVS signing we just did. If the plan was to do a big trade, we wouldn't have signed MVS.

We won't have 10m or close to it. What we have next year doesn't matter when it comes to taking on contracts from other teams this season. We have to have the cap space as is on the contract for the trade to go through.

Von? He already restructured him/made him take a pay cut for more than was expected and spent that money. Nothing else is happening to Von or his contract. Again, Allen was restructured already. He's never restructured someone twice in the same offseason. If we wanted him to give us more money, we would have taken it then

I've told you why Hopkins is eliminated. He's one of two Outside starting WR's they have. They aren't putting Burks back in there. Metcalf? I don't see him being traded at all. If the Seahawks wanted to move a guy like that, it would have happened by now and they would have drafted a replacement. If the Seahawks were to move anyone, it would be Lockett.

20 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

That's right....roll your eyes at DK Metcalf!  It only makes it more likely to happen.  Just like Diggs 🤪

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Edited by BillsFanForever19

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Ok let’s just do this.  Sign 30 WRs and play like flag football.  One guy snap it back to Josh, everyone take off, and Josh can throw it quick to who he wants before he gets buried.  If we sign enough WRs everyone in Mafia land can get their favorite.

How about the Bills stop signing mediocre JAG WRs and get one good one?  Quantity does not make up for quality.

I still think their going to do it.  Beane is not an idiot.  What GM in their right mind would have their best WR be C Samuel, the WR2/3 from Wash, slated in for WR1 duties with Josh Allen in his prime?

7 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

How about the Bills stop signing mediocre JAG WRs and get one good one?  Quantity does not make up for quality.

I still think their going to do it.  Beane is not an idiot.  What GM in their right mind would have their best WR be C Samuel, the WR2/3 from Wash, slated in for WR1 duties with Josh Allen in his prime?

I suggest you submit your list of good ones to Beane for his consideration.  And I’d suggest to quit using 1, 2,3 etc for WRs as if we’re in a kindergarten counting lesson.

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You're ignoring the cost of Draft Picks we have to sign, the cost of the Practice Squad, the couple million we go into the year with - on top of the MVS signing we just did. If the plan was to do a big trade, we wouldn't have signed MVS.

We won't have 10m or close to it. What we have next year doesn't matter when it comes to taking on contracts from other teams this season. We have to have the cap space as is on the contract for the trade to go through.

Von? He already restructured him/made him take a pay cut for more than was expected and spent that money. Nothing else is happening to Von or his contract. Again, Allen was restructured already. He's never restructured someone twice in the same offseason. If we wanted him to give us more money, we would have taken it then

I've told you why Hopkins is eliminated. He's one of two Outside starting WR's they have. They aren't putting Burks back in there. Metcalf? I don't see him being traded at all. If the Seahawks wanted to move a guy like that, it would have happened by now and they would have drafted a replacement. If the Seahawks were to move anyone, it would be Lockett.

I don't think you understand what happens after we trade for one of these WRs.  The Bills immediately restructure the deal - they give a guarantee, a signing bonus, and the Bills figure out how much of the salary they want to have count on this years cap (see DHop 2023 $1.8M salary).  So yes having money in the future matters a great deal.

When I referenced Von and Josh, I was refering to the 2025 number and how that can be increased from the $23M.  And I believe Josh could restructure again this year if needed- just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't.  Might be all part of the set-up, what a surprise, this opportunity just came up, had to get Josh involved, etc.

Hopkins is certainly in play, the new regime added two WRs and DHop is on his last year.  Metcalf is a distinct possibility because Seattle would want draft capital to get a QB next year, and Lockett doesn't get them any.  Aiyuk is a possibility.  Beane is evaluating the options.  There could of course be surprise ones like C Kupp or C Godwin because any GM that wanted to move a veteran WR for draft capital would be calling Beane - because although you can't tell it  on this message board it is glaringly obvious that the Bills would want a top tier WR.