First look at Bills 2024 roster

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

^^i think we'd all feel a lot better about the WRs if they were getting coached up by someone from the shanahan tree

Void of a trade up for one of the big 3 or for an established player I didn't see a scenario where this draft concluded and we could declare we had what we needed. If we did make such a declaration we would be wrong. From my perspective MLB was in even worse shape last year and that worked out ok. I'm excited to see what Coleman brings as I actually like the pick. Kincaid could turn into a pro bowler this year as well. I think a few other things could work out at WR to our benefit but sure, we could likely stand to have another hitter.  I know everybody wants to take the next step at the position and give Josh some elite weapons but if we could say that isn't happening because we only took one WR and not a 2nd deeper in the draft I would say the logic is faulty and the perspective is poor.  The draft wasn't going to solve all of this. 

7 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

I hope K.J. Hamler can get his hamstrings healthy and fill that WR void.  He can play in the NFL, but is he available?

I came here to add the fact that Hamler likely that FA/trade spot that was posted 

oh what a sorry looking group of WRs 

11 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Void of a trade up for one of the big 3 or for an established player I didn't see a scenario where this draft concluded and we could declare we had what we needed. If we did make such a declaration we would be wrong. From my perspective MLB was in even worse shape last year and that worked out ok. I'm excited to see what Coleman brings as I actually like the pick. Kincaid could turn into a pro bowler this year as well. I think a few other things could work out at WR to our benefit but sure, we could likely stand to have another hitter.  I know everybody wants to take the next step at the position and give Josh some elite weapons but if we could say that isn't happening because we only took one WR and not a 2nd deeper in the draft I would say the logic is faulty and the perspective is poor.  The draft wasn't going to solve all of this. 

I agree the draft wasn't going to solve everything but trading back twice to take the 8th wideout off the board has to be about as close to the bare minimum effort as possible

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We have definitely  taken a step back.  We will have to see where we are when we go to camp. 

Where’s the massive step back? WR is the only place of considerable concern on the roster. Not saying I am not concerned about WR but the rest of the roster is as good as it was heading into last season if not better knowing Spencer Brown and Bernard are good players

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I agree the draft wasn't going to solve everything but trading back twice to take the 8th wideout off the board has to be about as close to the bare minimum effort as possible

I don’t know where fans get this idea of a draft board. There’s 32 different teams with 32 different draft boards clearly the Bills had Coleman a lot higher than the 8th WR and given that this is one of the top 5-7 best drafting teams I think they get more credit than media pundits

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I prefer Coleman ahead of anybody outside the Big 3. Regardless if you do or don't, enough people exist on both sides of the argument to say a consensus doesn't exist. 4-7 aren't guaranteed to be better. It wouldn't even be categorized as likely. It's a total crap shoot right now. If that is the case the trade back actually makes some sense. Would you have wanted to see 2 of the top 8 come our way? Clearly we wouldn't know if that would solve anything I'm just asking for context of what would have made you feel we made the correct amount of effort.  

Looks solid. I have more faith in the passing game than others, but I'm counting on Brady coming in with a plan for shifting focus to the TEs, specifically Kincaid. Brady's the real x-factor here. With such a change in personnel and scheme, the Bills might benefit from teams not knowing what to expect. Time to fully implement his own offense.

I do expect the same balanced approach and complimentary football that McD loves. The return of Milano and some more athleticism at safety is going to be great for the backend of that D. I assume McD's going to have to simplify it a bit in order to get these guys playing fast and aggressive.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I prefer Coleman ahead of anybody outside the Big 3. Regardless if you do or don't, enough people exist on both sides of the argument to say a consensus doesn't exist. 4-7 aren't guaranteed to be better. It wouldn't even be categorized as likely. It's a total crap shoot right now. If that is the case the trade back actually makes some sense. Would you have wanted to see 2 of the top 8 come our way? Clearly we wouldn't know if that would solve anything I'm just asking for context of what would have made you feel we made the correct amount of effort.  

Correct amount of effort for me would have been a first round wr

They clearly didn't have a first round grade on Coleman 

There's a lot of competition, but the Bills lost several core ST guys and Shavers is apparently an excellent gunner.  He's going to compete for a spot at the backend of the roster.  I also think Hamler has a shot as well.  If he can stay healthy, he can play, and he's a PR which they currently need. I don't think the FA that Beane referenced working out and signing today is going to be anyone of major consequence so that roster spot is still up for grabs.

23 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Where’s the massive step back? WR is the only place of considerable concern on the roster. Not saying I am not concerned about WR but the rest of the roster is as good as it was heading into last season if not better knowing Spencer Brown and Bernard are good players

I don’t know where fans get this idea of a draft board. There’s 32 different teams with 32 different draft boards clearly the Bills had Coleman a lot higher than the 8th WR and given that this is one of the top 5-7 best drafting teams I think they get more credit than media pundits

I didn't say massive, but with all the veterans gone, it's a little step back.

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We have definitely  taken a step back.  We will have to see where we are when we go to camp. 

The team stunk last year until it phased out (he phased himself out) it’s WR1 getting 12 targets a game.  

The “better” team on paper lost at home to Denver and should have lost to the Giants.  

I was more worried about the leadership loss.  

But we’ll be fine:

Allen

Dawkins 

Bernard 

Douglas 

Von 

Ed 

Milano 

And there are some very promising ones in last years and this years class.  

Bishop

SVP

Keon - give him time 

Kincaid 

Carter - The DT from Duke 

Give me this group. 

38 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Right. If they would have drafted another one (Franklin joking aside) I would have felt a lot better. There were plenty of opportunities to get a Franklin, Baker, Rice, Wilson, McMillian, etc. Someone, anyone that might have been a help. Instead they apparently believe Hollins, Hamler, Shorter are going to round out the top 6, and that’s just terrible. 

You had a need for a WR when Davis left, even before trading Diggs. They created another hole. The hole is their number 1 target, and replaced it with a guy that’s barely had a year over 800 yards and 3 TDs, and a rookie that can’t separate, and was like you said, the 8th best WR in many people’s boards. 

there was legit nobody in the first 10 WRs I didn’t want less than this kid. Really hope I’m wrong and he becomes great. But I definitely have my doubts. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Right. If they would have drafted another one (Franklin joking aside) I would have felt a lot better. There were plenty of opportunities to get a Franklin, Baker, Rice, Wilson, McMillian, etc. Someone, anyone that might have been a help. Instead they apparently believe Hollins, Hamler, Shorter are going to round out the top 6, and that’s just terrible. 

You had a need for a WR when Davis left, even before trading Diggs. They created another hole. The hole is their number 1 target, and replaced it with a guy that’s barely had a year over 800 yards and 3 TDs, and a rookie that can’t separate, and was like you said, the 8th best WR in many people’s boards. 

there was legit nobody in the first 10 WRs I didn’t want less than this kid. Really hope I’m wrong and he becomes great. But I definitely have my doubts. 

Yeah exactly

We lost WRs 1&2 from an already pretty shabby unit and replaced them by trading back for one single second rounder

Not going to pretend to be impressed by that

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah exactly

We lost WRs 1&2 from an already pretty shabby unit and replaced them by trading back for one single second rounder

Not going to pretend to be impressed by that

Buffalo and the rest of the NFL for that matter had 4-10 at end of round one / start of round 2. The only 1st rounders to pick were the big 3. Everybody after that was an equal crapshoot. Which is why we traded back. 

The idea that a 4th round type would have elevated this class to acceptable makes me really question the perspectives here.

9 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Buffalo and the rest of the NFL for that matter had 4-10 at end of round one / start of round 2. The only 1st rounders to pick were the big 3. Everybody after that was an equal crapshoot. Which is why we traded back. 

The idea that a 4th round type would have elevated this class to acceptable makes me really question the perspectives here.

Why would you assume that? After Davis was a 4th rounder. After Shakir was a 5th rounder. 

so if Shakir helps make this WR group a decent to good group, why couldn’t a flier on a 4th or 5th round guy like McMillain, or Rice, or Baker have done the same? And if you want to argue that they wouldn’t be much help this year anyway, my reply would be we need to plan for the future anyway. It took both Davis and Shakir to get a year or 2 under their belts to really help with production. 

Edited by mrags

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Deepest wr draft maybe all time is what I kept hearing

7 drafted in the first round in fact...Chiefs had to trade up to get their guy even

We get one single second round wr

and now we're just going to pretend they weren't really that good...to me, that is the questionable perspective

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Deepest wr draft maybe all time is what I kept hearing

7 drafted in the first round in fact...Chiefs had to trade up to get their guy even

We get one single second round wr

and now we're just going to pretend they weren't really that good...to me, that is the questionable perspective

4 picks in the 20’s. Three consecutive picks to end the first round and start round two.

Do you really think the level of talent in those players was going to be the difference maker for us at WR? What if we took Worthy? Legette with the last pick in Round 1 would that have past the test for you? Just make the full leap to completely irrational please. 

It wasn’t one of the best WR drafts of all time. It was top heavy. Then the rest of the talent was significantly lower in rank than then the big three.

Who cares who KC picked, have you seen the track record they have drafting WR? Rice is the best guy they have taken since Mahomes was drafted. 

3 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

4 picks in the 20’s. Three consecutive picks to end the first round and start round two.

Do you really think the level of talent in those players was going to be the difference maker for us at WR? What if we took Worthy? Legette with the last pick in Round 1 would that have past the test for you? Just make the full leap to completely irrational please. 

It wasn’t one of the best WR drafts of all time. It was top heavy. Then the rest of the talent was significantly lower in rank than then the big three.

Who cares who KC picked, have you seen the track record they have drafting WR? Rice is the best guy they have taken since Mahomes was drafted. 

difference between us is that I can disagree w your assessment that they did enough at wr without calling it irrational

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

Why would you assume that? After Davis was a 4th rounder. After Shakir was a 5th rounder. 

so if Shakir helps make this WR group a decent to good group, why couldn’t a flier on a 4th or 5th round guy like McMillain, or Rice, or Baker have done the same? And if you want to argue that they wouldn’t be much help this year anyway, my reply would be we need to plan for the future anyway. It took both Davis and Shakir to get a year or 2 under their belts to really help with production. 

Shakir was a hit. Davis was a hit. We actually aren’t that bad at late WR picks. Maybe we didn’t value the guys in your board. 

My argument is it’s pretty funny watching people say the difference in this being a good draft or not is a 4th round WR. 

This is getting more clear to me. We had to trade for Aiyuk, take one of the big 3, or take two in the first two rounds. That was basically the standard I’m seeing. It’s just being packaged differently by posters because they know such an ask is getting closer to fantasy world than reality. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Shakir was a hit. Davis was a hit. We actually aren’t that bad at late WR picks. Maybe we didn’t value the guys in your board. 

My argument is it’s pretty funny watching people say the difference in this being a good draft or not is a 4th round WR. 

This is getting more clear to me. We had to trade for Aiyuk, take one of the big 3, or take two in the first two rounds. That was basically the standard I’m seeing. It’s just being packaged differently by posters because they know such an ask is getting closer to fantasy world than reality. 

With the exception of getting one of the first 3-4 guys they absolutely needed to draft 2 WRs in this draft. Only getting 1 is them acting like awe wasn’t a need. It absolutely was. And not just 1 spot. They failed to address it. I don’t think for a minute they wanted Aiyuk or they would have had him. SF was practically dangling him out there. 

I don’t think the argument should be made that getting a 4th rd wr made this and draft. I’m simply saying we needed to come away with 2 today and didn’t. Then they signed like 3 of them in UDFA which tells me they thought there was a need for it. And decided to not take a WR late instead going for some OL and DL help that won’t have a chance at making the team this year.