J T O'Sullivan's The QB School

11 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

Any chance Shakir can become the 1/x receiver? Is he that far of Diggs's traits and ability? 

image.thumb.png.1b2f2ab41b84b4cee0588b838a0b9fa7.png

Shakir has high athleticism and a "standard"-ish height and weight for a WR.

Skills like wicked breaks and jukes can be polished, and apparently Shakir spends his off season with Moulds polishing him.

The main questionmark for him is that in the modern passing day since these measurables became publicly available, there's never been a boundary receiver with 29" arms.  It's not "eyelashes" or "toes", it's a matter of the vocabulary of physical moves available to the guy when there's a DL with 31" arms grabbing him at the LOS or handfighting down the field.

Edited by Beck Water

23 hours ago, Beck Water said:

On the just-missed-the-catch to Sherfield on 3rd and 12 38:12  minutes into the video...O'Sullivan spends a long time painting the throw to Shakir in the middle as the better choice.  I don't see it.  Where's someone who knows their shite like @HoofHearted to put me straight?   2 deep safeties, one takes Diggs, one takes Shakir, and Sherfield is the correct read.  Sherfield gets his hands on it.  There is no reason that shouldn't have been a catch: a high degree of difficulty catch, but a catch.

Generally speaking a post vs. any middle open coverage is dream scenario. It's fairly easy to manipulate Safety hips with the stem of the route to get them to open outside before you cut back in. Once you win leverage there's no one else there since the backside Safeties eyes will never look there - becomes a foot race in the end.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We need a big physical WR out of this draft. Coleman, Legette, Polk. I'm sick of our WRs getting pushed around in the playoffs year after year. Shakir and Kincaid aren't that type of talent. It has to come from the draft.

I agree and would add Baker to the list.  Raw for sure but seems to get separation at the catch point because of his physicality.

13 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

Any chance Shakir can become the 1/x receiver? Is he that far of Diggs's traits and ability? 

image.thumb.png.1b2f2ab41b84b4cee0588b838a0b9fa7.png

Shakir’s lack of arm length was the reason he slipped so far in the draft. It makes it really hard for him to pluck the ball away from corners.

He’s best as a Z receiver (slot) but can play outside in a pinch. Probably not the guy you want to primarily line up outside.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/21/2024 at 12:47 AM, Mikie2times said:

Will watch it again. Really great analysis. He liked the shot to Shakir vs going to Diggs on the highly debated 2nd down play. Called out a potential bad read by multiple players on the 1st down run play. I didn't realize how much real estate Allen likely had if that is a read option and he pulls the ball out. He might have scored. Also discussed the 3rd down, Shakir was open on the left side for what likely is a first down. Allen didn't look that way. He was drooling over Josh's playmaking ability. Riding Diggs hard. Called him out several times for lack of effort and finishing routes. You see it. Lazy routes, rounded, not at the distances needed. 

Josh is one of the most insane playmakers in NFL history and his out of structure game is at a level few players have ever seen. Something to be said for boring, repeatable, drop back and throws. Brady was the king of this. Structured stuff is what Josh needs to keep improving on. I think Brady had him going in the right direction with that last year. Seems to do much better when we try and establish the run and work in the shorter designed passes as we did vs KC. 

Really worth the watch. 

Insane that people think Josh is going to have some sort of “regression” bc of the Diggs trade, I personally think he is going to post career numbers as long as the WR we are going to draft in the 1st round is able to make solid contribution. It’s going to be an equal opportunity offense this time much like those Brady-Lee teams. Diggs dogs it every time he’s not the focal point of the play. What I loved about Gabe despite the hate was that he was a vicious blocker. That dropped bomb was enough for me to see the writing was in the wall. It just blows me away that he has the audacity to complain after that massive blunder. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It was hard to watch that.  The Bills had so many small mental errors. They were so close but the Chefs did the small things better more often.   

I agree, just reliving the whole thing again makes me question if we were ready or not and that is a coaching issue. Sliding protection away from Chris Jones on a very critical play was most upsetting and egregious to me. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree, just reliving the whole thing again makes me question if we were ready or not and that is a coaching issue. Sliding protection away from Chris Jones on a very critical play was most upsetting and egregious to me. 

The amount of times they failed to adjust to obviously bad alignments/formations/playcalls is really frustrating.

If I can see that we're about to get blown up pre-snap from the couch without even knowing the call, Josh and/or Morse should be able to see and react. Pre-snap reads are an area Josh could still really improve.

Edited by DrMaxPower
  • Agree 1

Great watch. A few take aways:

- Diggs limitations plus cost made him expendable (effort, unable to get of LOS, lack of closing ability when it matters)…plus a 2nd round pick coming back….it hurts but it was better that sticking with what you know wasn’t working

- I have concerns about Brady and what he’ll do to bring the passing game back to the next level. As JT mentioned, he saw some spots he wishes we would have taken some shots and ended up with running plays in favorable situations. I hope we turn up the dial, and trend back the other direction. 

- Allen is a monster, but will he learn to settle into his own progressions especially as he ages. Will Beane and McD give him the tools to feel comfortable doing that? 

- Feeling pretty good about the OL moving forward. I know there were plenty of clips of guys getting beat or making mental errors, but overall I believe them to be a solid group that can be a real asset to this team. 

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Although I’ll generally agree with this sentiment, idk that it would have made any difference with the front they gave. They wanted to get Jones in a 1v1 and they had their best on ours, and he lost. Sometimes you just get beat.

42 minutes ago, DrMaxPower said:

The amount of times they failed to adjust to obviously bad alignments/formations/playcalls is really frustrating.

If I can see that we're about to get blown up pre-snap from the couch without even knowing the call, Josh and/or Morse should be able to see and react. Pre-snap reads are an area Josh could still really improve.

This will be interesting moving forward, with McGovern slated to take over at C. She. They brought it Morse, I thought that was such a savvy move for a team building up a young QB. It takes the pressure off them being able to rely on your bigs to get it right in the trenches. At this point though, Allen should be able to easily handle navigating the OL. Josh’s big play mentality often leads him into a tunnel vision IMO by pre-determining to some degree how he sees or feels something will work out. You see it a lot with the forced throws to Diggs, or the early scrambles. And I also think this comes to fruition with setting protection. His mentality has been (not always but at times) that we like a look, and we’re going to do this, and if it’s not there or someone bleeds through, I’ll just create in space.