College "Super League" On Deck?

H2o

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-works-with-college-presidents-to-form-super-league

The current system would be blown up. The conferences would fold. The playoff system would go extinct. In their place would be a league with 70 fixed teams and 10 others that will be subject to relegation and promotion from the remaining 60 schools.

The “Super League” would have eight 10-team divisions, with the division winners and eight wild-cards qualifying for a 16-team playoff.

I can't even claim to say I understand what this would do to College football, but things are already folding as we speak with these super conferences that have been forming. Things may look extremely different within the next 5 years or so. In one regard, it is rightfully so. These universities and other people in general have made billions off of the backs of these young men for years. The system has been corrupt for longer than many of us have been alive. Now things have taken a different turn. 

Honestly, that structure sounds fantastic and much better than the current Frankenstein that we used to know as college football.

This would give you your regional divisions/conferences and restore the rivalries.  You have a relegation/promotion opportunity for the mid-majors if a program takes off.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

So much to unpack here.

As of the end of 2023 season, there were 133 teams at the FBS level.

The proposed Super League will be comprised of 130 teams total.

That means 3 teams will be left out.

Which 3 teams are willing to take one for CFB?

The 70 teams with a fixed position are all the teams in the 2023 P5 conferences plus ND and SMU. I seriously doubt any of those teams want to leave.

(SMU was playing in a G5 conference in 2023. Why does SMU get a pass?)

Between the remaining G5 teams and the independents that leaves 63 teams.

I do not see any of the G5 conference teams willing to give up their spot.

The 3 remaining independents are Army, Uconn, and UMass.

If Army is one that has to be left out, I can easily pick out numerous teams from the G5 schools that should be tossed in favor of Army.

(Start with UB, UCF, Appalachian State, and Jacksonville State)

Quite frankly, the entire G5 programs and some of the P5 programs need to be left out.

If the NCAA goes away (which should of happened 10 years ago), what about the rest of the collegiate sports?

Will BB get it's own Super League?

Of course, there is the issue with the SEC and Big10 holding all the cards and money to CFB.

Why would they want to release any control?

They have already threatened to leave the NCAA and start their own set up.

Grab some stragglers to even up the 2 conferences, and set it up like the MLB.

Each conference plays against its own teams, and the 2 conference winners meet for the NT.

32 minutes ago, Cynical said:

So much to unpack here.

As of the end of 2023 season, there were 133 teams at the FBS level.

The proposed Super League will be comprised of 130 teams total.

That means 3 teams will be left out.

Which 3 teams are willing to take one for CFB?

The 70 teams with a fixed position are all the teams in the 2023 P5 conferences plus ND and SMU. I seriously doubt any of those teams want to leave.

(SMU was playing in a G5 conference in 2023. Why does SMU get a pass?)

Between the remaining G5 teams and the independents that leaves 63 teams.

I do not see any of the G5 conference teams willing to give up their spot.

The 3 remaining independents are Army, Uconn, and UMass.

If Army is one that has to be left out, I can easily pick out numerous teams from the G5 schools that should be tossed in favor of Army.

(Start with UB, UCF, Appalachian State, and Jacksonville State)

Quite frankly, the entire G5 programs and some of the P5 programs need to be left out.

If the NCAA goes away (which should of happened 10 years ago), what about the rest of the collegiate sports?

Will BB get it's own Super League?

Of course, there is the issue with the SEC and Big10 holding all the cards and money to CFB.

Why would they want to release any control?

They have already threatened to leave the NCAA and start their own set up.

Grab some stragglers to even up the 2 conferences, and set it up like the MLB.

Each conference plays against its own teams, and the 2 conference winners meet for the NT.

UCF is in the big 12

49 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

UCF is in the big 12

You are right. I stand corrected. Their first year was 2023 in the Big 12.

But I stand by what I said.

If i had to choose between Army or UCF, UCF would be out.

3 minutes ago, Cynical said:

You are right. I stand corrected. Their first year was 2023 in the Big 12.

But I stand by what I said.

If i had to choose between Army or UCF, UCF would be out.

Army has a 105 division 1 wins in the last 20 years

UCF has 160

If you're going by numbers UCF deserves to stay

Imo the most important change has to be wrt the transfer portal and NIL. I am not against either mind you. Far from it but they really do need somne sort of regulated system.

OT Kadyn Proctor was a 5 star, top 10 overall player coming out of HS. He played well (not great) as a freshman. Proctor hit the portal after Coach Saban retired and went to Iowa Univ. (his home state).  A few weeks later he decided to re-enter the portal and return to Alabama.  Coach Ferentz wished him well, but he also stated that Proctor took more than 1/2 of Iowa's NIL money with him. 

As an Alabama Fan I suppose that this should make me happy but it does not. I mean, what is there to stop a great player from signing with the Tide, taking our NIL money, and splitting with it?  As it now stands, the college players have more freedom that NFL players. Mahomes can't just decide that he wants to play for the Dolphins. He is under contract. 

Again. I am all for players getting paid but college football is in need of a fair system.

• Agree 1

On 4/5/2024 at 6:36 AM, Bill from NYC said:

I mean, what is there to stop a great player from signing with the Tide, taking our NIL money, and splitting with it? 

The concept is it isn't Alabama's money. It's the kid's money. He is selling the rights to use his name/image/likeness.

What bothers you is that the people paying him that money for the right to use his NIL aren't really interested in that. They're interested in paying him to play for Alabama an no one else. I suppose the boosters/car dealerships/whatever could write it into a contract that they'll pay a kid $200,000 with the contract to terminate if he no longer plays football for the University of Alabama. Which is just one more step toward making it clear that he is paid to play football, and not to lend his NIL to some advertiser.

No one really cares if Caitlin Clark goes to Iowa instead of, say, UConn. She's a celebrity now. She's doing national ads. No one cares if Bronny James leaves USC. He'll do ads with his dad even if he goes to Northwest Podunk State. Kadyn Proctor is not marketable if he isn't at Alabama, at least not to Alabama boosters. He is not promoting his own name, image, and likeness. He is being paid to play for Alabama. Sorry, Tide, I can't feel real sorry for you because you are breaking the spirit of the rules and demand loyalty from those kids benefiting from that.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

29 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The concept is it isn't Alabama's money. It's the kid's money. He is selling the rights to use his name/image/likeness.

What bothers you is that the people paying him that money for the right to use his NIL aren't really interested in that. They're interested in paying him to play for Alabama an no one else. I suppose the boosters/car dealerships/whatever could write it into a contract that they'll pay a kid $200,000 with the contract to terminate if he no longer plays football for the University of Alabama. Which is just one more step toward making it clear that he is paid to play football, and not to lend his NIL to some advertiser.

No one really cares if Caitlin Clark goes to Iowa instead of, say, UConn. She's a celebrity now. She's doing national ads. No one cares if Bronny James leaves USC. He'll do ads with his dad even if he goes to Northwest Podunk State. Kadyn Proctor is not marketable if he isn't at Alabama, at least not to Alabama boosters. He is not promoting his own name, image, and likeness. He is being paid to play for Alabama. Sorry, Tide, I can't feel real sorry for you because you are breaking the spirit of the rules and demand loyalty from those kids benefiting from that.

First of all, Alabama isn't asking for sympathy, nor am I. In fact, I clearly expressed sympathy for Iowa and Coach Ferentz, to whom I have zero allegiance. Proctor took Iowa's money (more than 1/2 of what they had alloted as per Coiach Ferentz) and then announced that he is going to re-enter the portal on April 15. There is great speculation that he wants to return to Alabama. Meanwhile, the Alabama players are busting their asses in camp, and the "A Game" is on Saturday.

This is something like an NFL player signing with a team as a UFA, taking their signing bonus, leaving 2 weeks later, and keeping the signing bonus. As you said, the only way around this would be contracts, but would that be safe? How could a school get their money back, especially after some (not all) kids buy cars, jewelry, etc.? 

Again, I do not seek sympathy. I would be more prone to feel a bit sorry for you for rooting for an inferior team. Either way, Alabama didn't really get screwed. Iowa did. In fact, Alabama Fans are not too thrilled with Proctor coming back, if in fact Coach DeBoer welcomes him. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2024 at 1:36 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Imo the most important change has to be wrt the transfer portal and NIL. I am not against either mind you. Far from it but they really do need somne sort of regulated system.

OT Kadyn Proctor was a 5 star, top 10 overall player coming out of HS. He played well (not great) as a freshman. Proctor hit the portal after Coach Saban retired and went to Iowa Univ. (his home state).  A few weeks later he decided to re-enter the portal and return to Alabama.  Coach Ferentz wished him well, but he also stated that Proctor took more than 1/2 of Iowa's NIL money with him. 

As an Alabama Fan I suppose that this should make me happy but it does not. I mean, what is there to stop a great player from signing with the Tide, taking our NIL money, and splitting with it?  As it now stands, the college players have more freedom that NFL players. Mahomes can't just decide that he wants to play for the Dolphins. He is under contract. 

Again. I am all for players getting paid but college football is in need of a fair system.

Yea that is an outrage. It needs some better regulation. Because that will be a trend.... good player but not a start at a top 10 programme? Enter the portal go to a top 30 programme who will treat you as the star, give you a load of NIL money and then re-enter and transfer back to a top 10 programme within weeks. Whether you go back to Alabama or to Georgia or Clemson or Michigan is irrelevant to me. You get a chunk of NIL money there should be some expectation that you play for that team. 

However, back on topic..... the Super League is a great idea. I have been saying on these boards for years the current model is outdated and not fit for purpose and they should have some sort of division structure with promotion and relegation. You guys who grew up with it might get it but to outsiders college football is completely inaccessible and it is a shame because the product on the field is great. But the system, the conferences, the scheduling, the seeding for playoffs, the various polls and committees etc... it is a mess. I have long felt it needs starting again with a blank sheet of paper. I don't know if it will happen, because of the vested interests and tradition.... but money wise I think in the end it would increase revenues and as we know, money talks!

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that is an outrage. It needs some better regulation. Because that will be a trend.... good player but not a start at a top 10 programme? Enter the portal go to a top 30 programme who will treat you as the star, give you a load of NIL money and then re-enter and transfer back to a top 10 programme within weeks. Whether you go back to Alabama or to Georgia or Clemson or Michigan is irrelevant to me. You get a chunk of NIL money there should be some expectation that you play for that team. 

However, back on topic..... the Super League is a great idea. I have been saying on these boards for years the current model is outdated and not fit for purpose and they should have some sort of division structure with promotion and relegation. You guys who grew up with it might get it but to outsiders college football is completely inaccessible and it is a shame because the product on the field is great. But the system, the conferences, the scheduling, the seeding for playoffs, the various polls and committees etc... it is a mess. I have long felt it needs starting again with a blank sheet of paper. I don't know if it will happen, because of the vested interests and tradition.... but money wise I think in the end it would increase revenues and as we know, money talks!

Agreed. College Football is a wonderful product. I really do enjoy watching players develop. For example, when Davonta Smith caught that famous championship winning pass from Tua in OT, many people don't know that it was only his 4th reception of the season. He went on to be a Heismann Trophy winner. Now, reports say he is on the verge of receiving a 25 million per season contract (as is Jalen Waddle btw). Without a fair system, this great sport will be diminished.