>>UPDATE<< Health situation

Campy

I'm not going to lie. I had some reservations about posting this up here. I really don't mind other people's LAMPs, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about them being about me. But since there were so many of you who asked for updates and wanted to keep up with my situation, it judt wouldn't be practical to try and PM all of you, so here goes...

The final lab results are in from the "mystery tissue" growing around my eyes (in the conjunctiva for you medical types).

I do have cancer. It's B-Cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, more specifically, a MALT or MALToma. What that means is that it "likes" mucous, so it tends to be in areas like the eyes (like me), the mouth, the throat, the stomach (like Joe Fergy), the intestines, etc.

Right now there is no evidence that it has spread to my eyes from elsewhere which is a good sign, but the oncologist will be able to better determine if that is the case. If it spread from somewhere else (eg, throat or stomach) to my eyes that could be bad news. Very bad news. It's possible that it did do just that but in others who had a similar situation, statistically speaking the odds are better it that it did not spread from elsewhere, so I'm maintaining a positive attitude and hoping for the best.

If it did spread to my eyes from elsewhere, I can look forward to surgery and chemo. Again, if the stats can be believed, I, most likely, will not have chemo. What they plan on doing is narrow beam radiation to my eyes. While the reactions to narrow beam radiation aren't as severe as those of chemo, it won't be very much fun. The most lasting side-effect (possible sterility aside) is glaucoma. Since my ophthalmologist is involved through this entire process, the glaucoma will be caught early enough so that I have chance it can be corrected with surgery and then eye drops daily.

And my poor wife. Despite the facade she exhibits to friends, I think she's been more worried and anxious than me. Obvious big-picture health concerns aside, I told her that my main priority is feel to healthy enough to make the trip up on Sept 11. She just rolled her eyes and sighed.

...I guess some people just don't get Bills football! :lol:

It's B-Cell, which means it originates from bone marrow.  It's Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, more specifically, a MALT or MALToma.

Very encouraging reading on cancer.org on this: Extranodal marginal zone B-cell lymphomas - mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT) lymphomas: ... Usually it is confined to the area where it began and is not widespread ... It is a slow growing lymphoma and is often curable in its early stages.

You have good reason to be optimistic about this. Keep your spirits up, and best of luck to you.

Campy yer bumming me out.

I'm feeling for you big time.

You and I have been at opposite sides of various positions here and there.

But I'm willing to take a big hit for you on this one.

Let's make a deal.

You get better and I'll gladly forget I never liked Bledsoe! :lol:

I'm not going to lie.  I had some reservations about posting this up here.  I really don't mind other people's LAMPs, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about them being about me.  But since there were so many of you who asked for updates and wanted to keep up with my situation, it judt wouldn't be practical to try and PM all of you, so here goes...

The final lab results are in from the "mystery tissue" growing around my eyes (in the conjunctiva for you medical types).

I do have cancer.  It's B-Cell, which means it originates from bone marrow.  It's Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, more specifically, a MALT or MALToma.  What that means is that it "likes" mucous, so it tends to be in areas like the eyes (like me), the mouth, the throat, the stomach (like Joe Fergy), the intestines, etc.

Right now there is no evidence that it has spread to my eyes from elsewhere which is a good sign, but the oncologist will be able to better determine if that is the case.  If it spread from somewhere else (eg, throat or stomach) to my eyes that could be bad news. Very bad news.   It's possible that it did do just that but in others who had a similar situation, statistically speaking the odds are better it that it did not spread from elsewhere, so I'm maintaining a positive attitude and hoping for the best.

If it did spread to my eyes from elsewhere, I can look forward to surgery and chemo.  Again, if the stats can be believed, I, most likely, will not have chemo.  What they plan on doing is narrow beam radiation to my eyes.  While the reactions to narrow beam radiation aren't as severe as those of chemo, it won't be very much fun.  The most lasting side-effect (possible sterility aside) is glaucoma.  Since my ophthalmologist is involved through this entire process, the glaucoma will be caught early enough so that I have chance it can be corrected with surgery and then eye drops daily.

And my poor wife.  Despite the facade she exhibits to friends, I think she's been more worried and anxious than me.  Obvious big-picture health concerns aside, I told her that my main priority is feel to healthy enough to make the trip up on Sept 11.  She just rolled her eyes and sighed.

...I guess some people just don't get Bills football! :lol:

358802[/snapback]

Campy, my best friend sells cancer drugs to Roswell Park and knows many doctors. His company has doctors doing studies with a number of drugs also. One was profiled on a local Buffalo news station http://www.wivb.com/global/category.asp?c=2745. My friend was directly involved with this doctor on this study. I'm sure he could help you out or get you in contact with the right people. Please PM me if you want further info.

Jeff