McDermott is feeling the pressure

9 hours ago, PBF81 said:

So, when you're ready to add some validity and veracity to your argument, name all of the coaches that are/were considered to be/have-been well above average, that entirely failed to beat anything but a wild-card team (i.e. not one single division-winner) in 7 seasons featuring 6 playoffs.  

Andy Reid failed win a divisional game for 4 years with Alex Smith

Mike Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game, let alone lost in the divisional round, since 2016.

John Harbaugh has won 2 playoff games since 2014.

Big Ben has never beaten Tom Brady in the postseason.

This is fun.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/27/2024 at 11:22 PM, FireChans said:

Mike Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game, let alone lost in the divisional round, since 2016.

This is fun.

John Madden perennial playoff coach for 7 years starting in 1969 finally won the SB in 1976 . lots of playoof disapointment no talk of windows closing. Bill Cowher about ten years of playoff setbacks before winning the Super Bowl; this board fantasized about Bill Cowher coming during the drought!

Edited by amprov56
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is fun.

Once again, the challenge was ignored.

I also didn't realize that Big Ben was a coach.  That might be a small glimpse into the problem you have here 

I'm sure you are having fun in your own little world, oblivious to what was posited.  For some reason the kid spending hours trying to put the blocks into the correct holes comes to mind here while reading your "answers." 

Here s clue, try not to force the square ones into the round holes.  😉

1 hour ago, amprov56 said:

John Madden perennial playoff coach for 7 years starting in 1969 finally won the SB in 1976 . lots of playoof disapointment no talk of windowns closing. Bill Cowher about ten years of playoff setbacks before winning the Super Bowl; this board fantasized about Bill Cowher coming during the drought!

Madden & Cowher didn’t have the quarterback. Cowher made his first Super Bowl with Neil O’Donnell early in his coaching career. McDermott has his QB

Edited by uticaclub

44 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Once again, the challenge was ignored.

I also didn't realize that Big Ben was a coach.  That might be a small glimpse into the problem you have here 

I'm sure you are having fun in your own little world, oblivious to what was posited.  For some reason the kid spending hours trying to put the blocks into the correct holes comes to mind here while reading your "answers." 

Here s clue, try not to force the square ones into the round holes.  😉

In your world, beating a wild card opponent in the wild card round, then a wild card opponent in the divisional round (who had to beat the #4 seed divisional winner to get there) is worse than not winning a playoff game since 2016. 

Make it make sense.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, FireChans said:

In your world, beating a wild card opponent in the wild card round, then a wild card opponent in the divisional round (who had to beat the #4 seed divisional winner to get there) is worse than not winning a playoff game since 2016. 

Make it make sense.

In my world beating ONLY poor teams with backup, poor, or ancient QBs playing their last game ever, with half of one exception, isn't cause for greatness.

Either way, find another coach that's heralded as being great that in his first 7 seasons never beat anything but wild-card teams in the playoffs.  

You can't.  

If Belichick has done that in his first seven seasons with a Brady he never would have seen an 8th season, if not sooner 

Your apples to oranges comp is childish.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Either way, find another coach that's heralded as being great that in his first 7 seasons never beat anything but wild-card teams in the playoffs

“Engage in my bad faith argument so I can prove you wrong”

No thanks champ.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Madden & Cowher didn’t have the quarterback. Cowher made his first Super Bowl with Neil O’Donnell early in his coaching career. McDermott has his QB

Unless we are watching different versions of football, you need more than a super star QB to win a SB, ask Dan Marino and Don Shula. Madden had Lamonica and Stabler, brush up on your history! Oh ya, Jim Kelly, for those who strongly believe defense is not important and running game obsolete ask  Bill Parcells and Jeff Hostetler!

Edited by amprov56

On 3/27/2024 at 8:46 AM, Nihilarian said:

Buffalo Bills fans are sometimes like little children. They want what they want when they want it and don't care why it didn't happen. Get a grip as 30 other teams wish that they were as good as the Buffalo Bills these last five years. Particularly, Miami, the NY Jets, and the NE Patriots.

You're right!  Bills fans are impatient children!  We have only waited 54 years since the merger for a single championship, without getting one.

Do these people not know it takes TIME to succeed in sports?

Look at the Red Sox!  And the Cubs!

Edited by Nextmanup

On 3/27/2024 at 9:34 AM, PBF81 said:

while McD can't advance past the Divisional Round more than once, then personally gift-wrapping the game for our opponent in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  If we're going to discuss it, it needs to be an objective, not subjective discussion.  

You wrote an incredibly long post but I just had to clip this last part.  

You say "If we're going to discuss it, it needs to be an objective, not subjective discussion. "

Except immediately preceding that statement is this " personally gift-wrapping the game for our opponent in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory."

Please stop pretending you are this bastion of objectivity. You have now moved your goalposts to he only beats wild card winners.  I have a feeling your profile pick is a little on the nose with trolling.  In case I'm wrong (and what the hell I enjoy yelling into the void sometimes) I would appreciate you answering the following: 

I will bring this to you for your objectivity.  Of the last 10 years there are 3 active coaches that have won the super bowl.  McVay, Pederson, and Reid.  So certainly anyone who is still coaching the same team and haven't won (Tomlin and Harbaugh) should be fired correct?  Since 2017 those same 3 coaches are the only active coaches that have won the super bowl.  So certainly anyone who is still coaching the same team and haven't won (Shanahan, McDermott, LaFleur, and Zac Taylor) should all be fired correct?

Or is it the fact McD has Allen?  For that I will counter that Zac Taylor has Burrow and Harbaugh has a 2x league MVP at qb.  Surely you are banging the drum for them to be fired right? 

It really doesn't matter that your not objective, none of us are.  We are emotionally invested in the team or we wouldn't be on this message board at the end of March and that's okay.  Just don't pretend.

• Like (+1) 2