The 2024 UFL Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

San Antonio/DC is a regular Bills alumni reunion. Wade Phillips coaches the Brahmas, Gregg Williams is the DC defensive coordinator (and just dropped a “motherf-er” on tv), Marquez Stevenson just had a long play for San Antonio, and so on. 

9 hours ago, Roundybout said:

San Antonio/DC is a regular Bills alumni reunion. Wade Phillips coaches the Brahmas, Gregg Williams is the DC defensive coordinator (and just dropped a “motherf-er” on tv), Marquez Stevenson just had a long play for San Antonio, and so on. 

Is that league still playing?

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The Wade Phillips-led San Antonio Brahmas upset the Birmingham Stallions. Not only was Birmingham undefeated (8-0) this season, they haven't lost in 15 games, not since last year.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:36 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

The Wade Phillips-led San Antonio Brahmas upset the Birmingham Stallions. Not only was Birmingham undefeated (8-0) this season, they haven't lost in 15 games, not since last year.

Promo, I will watch the championship if it is these two.

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

How do ratings for tennis matches or the X-Games stack up?

2023 Xgames averaged 459,000 viewers.

not sure what tennis matches you are asking about. both events are cheaper to produce than a season of football.

both events are annual one offs, not months long seasons spread across the country that the networks are themselves sponsoring. 

UFL, outside of St Louis, can't get any fans to show up to the games.  Now that the networks are league owners, they will feel the heat directly.  XFL alone lost 60 million just in 2023.  

12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

How do ratings for tennis matches or the X-Games stack up?

WEO loves to compare apples to station wagons. In this case, comparing afternoon weekends with prime time TV ratings. I already posted a link for weekly sports ratings. UFL games are middle of the pack ratings-wise. It's true attendance is lacking but that revenue is secondary to TV. The UFL exists for spring TV sports content. Fox and ESPN will decide if it's doing well enough.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

2023 Xgames averaged 459,000 viewers.

not sure what tennis matches you are asking about. both events are cheaper to produce than a season of football.

both events are annual one offs, not months long seasons spread across the country that the networks are themselves sponsoring. 

UFL, outside of St Louis, can't get any fans to show up to the games.  Now that the networks are league owners, they will feel the heat directly.  XFL alone lost 60 million just in 2023.  

I'm trying to think of some minor sporting events that would be better to air on a Saturday this time of year.

I'm sure you'd love to say that airing reruns of reality TV would be better for the TV networks, but it'd help if you were able to back that up with some kind of profit numbers. What credibility do you have to be speaking for the networks who have chosen to air this programming for a third straight year.

On 4/20/2024 at 2:52 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

AJ McCarron still playing

On 4/20/2024 at 2:54 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

and he looked good today

OK, I get that AJ McCarron kind of sucks. Always has, always will.

But have NFL GMs actually looked at some of the backup QBs they still employ?

What is it about McCarron (and some other guys like him) that keeps him from getting an NFL job? 

He's not Brett Rypien. Or Tim Boyle. Or PJ Walker ....

17 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

OK, I get that AJ McCarron kind of sucks. Always has, always will.

But have NFL GMs actually looked at some of the backup QBs they still employ?

What is it about McCarron (and some other guys like him) that keeps him from getting an NFL job? 

He's not Brett Rypien. Or Tim Boyle. Or PJ Walker ....

AJ McCarron would still be a backup QB in the NFL if he had the right mindset for it. The fact is that he wants to play, so he's not good backup QB material. With that attitude, I bet he's not very supportive of the starting QB.

Not saying it's necessarily the wrong mindset. He should absolutely want to play and find a place to play, but it needs to be in a minor league.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm trying to think of some minor sporting events that would be better to air on a Saturday this time of year.

I'm sure you'd love to say that airing reruns of reality TV would be better for the TV networks, but it'd help if you were able to back that up with some kind of profit numbers. What credibility do you have to be speaking for the networks who have chosen to air this programming for a third straight year.

Other than these leagues have folded within a few years or less every time they have existed?  Is that a real question?

Anyway, it should be obvious that reruns of owned content would be far cheaper to fill a broadcast schedule than a live football broadcast.  A live football game is probably one of the most expensive things these networks could broadcast on weekend afternoons.  This is intuitively true