Marvin Harrison Jr to Skip Pro Day

12 hours ago, mannc said:

I don’t know if I agree 100% with my take either🤣….I mean, MHJ might turn out to be a great pro.  I just hate the entitled attitude, which IMO is based largely on his name.  Go watch the combine interview of Rome Odunze, who had every bit as good a college career as Harrison.  They asked why he was there when other top receivers were taking a powder, and he talked about how much he loves to compete and how a guy’s combine performance is something for posterity and how he’s even competing against guys from years past.  Give me a guy like Odunze or Josh Allen over the MHJs and Caleb Williamses of the world…

From the way you describe him, he sounds like the next version of Keyshawn Johnson (who wasn't blazing): 6'4", 211 lbs to Harrison's 6'4" 205 lb frame. Johnson went #1 overall and had an excellent career, but he wasn't generational: 814 receptions, 10,571 yards, a few pro bowls but never a first- or second-team all pro. Johnson's career suggests he was a top 15 or so talent. Ironically, Marvin Harrison, Sr., far better statistically but with one of the best QBs ever throwing to him (which needs to be factored in), went #19 that season. 

People talk about this being a good receiver draft, but check out 1996:

1 - Keyshawn Johnson (814 receptions, 10,571 yards, 64 tds)

7 - Terry Glenn (593 receptions; 8823 yards, 14.9 career ypr)

18 - Eddie Kennison (548 receptions; 8,345 yards, 15.2 career ypr)

19 - Marvin Harrison (HOF)

24 - Eric Moulds (764 receptions, 9,995 yards, all-pro (second team) twice)

31 - Alex Van D yke (bust)

34 - Amari Toomer (668 receptions, 9,497 yards; 14.2 career ypc; huge game in the SB vs the 19-0 Pats)

41 - Bryan Still (bust)

43 - Muhsin Muhammed (860 receptions, 11,438 yards, 62 TDs)

52 - Bobby Engram (650 receptions)

56 - Derrick Mayes (bust; one decent season in Seattle in 1999)

89 - Terrell Owens (HOF)

135 - Joe Horn (603 receptions; 8,744 yards, 14.2 ypr, 58 TDs)

153 - Jermaine Lewis (great career as a returner; 2-time all pro)

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

I think what’s worse is as a teammate more top team scouts would come to his pro day if he ran. That helps other players on OSU get exposure and I find that disappointing. I know these players will be evaluated but live at a pro day is different. This guy is a Diggs diva before he even plays his first game. Maybe he wants to go as 2nd wr to go to a better team 🤷🏻‍♂️.. not impressed either way with his attitude. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, mannc said:

I don’t know if I agree 100% with my take either🤣….I mean, MHJ might turn out to be a great pro.  I just hate the entitled attitude, which IMO is based largely on his name.  Go watch the combine interview of Rome Odunze, who had every bit as good a college career as Harrison.  They asked why he was there when other top receivers were taking a powder, and he talked about how much he loves to compete and how a guy’s combine performance is something for posterity and how he’s even competing against guys from years past.  Give me a guy like Odunze or Josh Allen over the MHJs and Caleb Williamses of the world…

That is interesting about Odunze.  I like that attitude.  Its interesting the hype that is given in today's world to all these players when they haven't even played one down of pro football.  Like the game is going to change because Marvin Harrison Jr is coming to the NFL.  One thing I remember about his father was how soft spoken he was.  He was an excellent player.  But just played football.  And caught lots of passes from Peyton Manning.  The celebrating stuff in today's NFL is absurd.  A guy makes an interception.  And the entire team has to celebrate in the end zone like a bunch of seals at Sea World.  Why?  The game was just as fun 40 years ago, when someone scored and they just either spiked the ball or handed it to the ref.  

The hype train on Marvin Harrison Jr is officially out of control and it's been that way

He certainly is not one of top 3 receivers I have scouted in the last 20 years

Super talented, absolutely not in my top 3

People complain about diggs being a diva... This guy has done nothing as a pro and is already a diva

Other grown men don't like a diva who has never done anything in the league

I understand the reasoning, but it has that same stench of NBA superstars skipping out on the dunk contest, trying to protect their image.

Or for a more apples to apples comparison, players sitting out their bowl game to protect draft stock.

It won't hurt him at all, it just looks weak to nonathletic, amateur, know-nothing dorks sitting at home & judging from the sideline like myself....

revenge of the nerds GIF