Draft night I can see this coming

16 hours ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

Probably 28 plus Diggs (never happening) is the only thing that could move them up that far. Not enough high picks 

Any team in the top 10 that wants a WR is just going to take one of the top 3 there. Also Diggs has much less trade value than people think. He’s a one year rental type of player now. Big contract, 31 this season, already showing a decline to his skill set and he’s been a bit of a PITA. That last one is particularly important since teams picking top 10 aren’t exactly SB contenders and we know how Diggs feels about that. That all doesn’t scream “big trade value”. Nor does it give the Bills a lot of options as far as teams to trade him to. Diggs likely is a Bill this season, but that will be it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I can see them trying to move up to late teens early 20s to get the last of the WRs with a first round grade on their board. Otherwise, with their FA WRs and a deep WR draft, I see them going BPA rd 1 with WR in rd 2. 

The only way I see them moving to early teens is if a can’t miss prospect in their minds falls outside of the top 10 for some reason… but that is a long shot.

On 3/14/2024 at 1:34 PM, oldmanfan said:

Somewhere between picks 4-8 Roger walks up to the microphone and announces:  We have a trade.  Buffalo has traded (a small boatload of picks) to (team to be named) and is now on the clock.  And we get one of the top 3 rated WRs in the draft.

Beane and McD have said they need to get more explosive.  And they’ll do that by getting more explosive with their moves to draft an explosive WR for Josh.

The draft class this year is deep at WR. No way im giving up a ton of picks to move up that far. The value is not there, it won’t happen. If it does, I will gladly eat some crow.

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

samuel

Samuel does not fill the X (boundary) role - at all. Still need that in this draft, preferably in the first round. Getting the role filled with a cost-controlled rookie contract at a premium position is an imperative and makes too much sense - especially with this top end WR draft talent.

The AFC is an arms race (esp. with KC in our way) and we cannot afford to not give Allen every weapon possible. 

• Agree 2

On 3/14/2024 at 7:34 AM, oldmanfan said:

Somewhere between picks 4-8 Roger walks up to the microphone and announces:  We have a trade.  Buffalo has traded (a small boatload of picks) to (team to be named) and is now on the clock.  And we get one of the top 3 rated WRs in the draft.

Beane and McD have said they need to get more explosive.  And they’ll do that by getting more explosive with their moves to draft an explosive WR for Josh.

That would obviously be for Odunze... maybe Nabers.

In 2011 when the Falcons traded up from 27 to 6, they gave up 5 draft picks: 2011 1st, 2nd & 4th round picks and 2012 1st & 4th.

I know Beane loves trading up, but I absolutely can't see that happening. The outside outside thing I wonder about is Daboll, Schoein and the Giants sitting there at #6. 

How much does Daboll like Diggs? Would it be possible to rework Diggs's contract so it would be possible to trade him as part of a package that doesn't consist of an early draft pick next year?

I absolutely don't think it happens because I really believe McBeane still think Diggs is a #1 and they're trying to retool this year while still winning, but that’s the only scenario I see where this is a non-zero chance.

On 3/14/2024 at 12:39 PM, LabattBlue said:

Any idea how much draft capital is needed to go from 28 to top 10?  

IMO…very very small chance of this happening. 

I'm with you !!! This would have to resemble the draft where Ditka gave up every pick to get Williams & although that was a historical draft Beane is in no way going to do that !

If there was a player worth it Beane still wouldn't do it, the Bills have more reason to get a boat load of good players to keep it rolling for the future while Josh is still here in order to have any shot at bringing the Lombardi to Buffalo .

So even though the OP can fantasize about a move like this it's never going to happen !! 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Samuel does not fill the X (boundary) role - at all. Still need that in this draft, preferably in the first round. Getting the role filled with a cost-controlled rookie contract at a premium position is an imperative and makes too much sense - especially with this top end WR draft talent.

The AFC is an arms race (esp. with KC in our way) and we cannot afford to not give Allen every weapon possible. 

I agree. I think that’s the smart play. However I can see the Bills going DE in round 1 and WR in round 2. Right now this team has virtually no pass rush juice. None of our DEs can pressure the QB with any reliability and at DT it’s pretty much just Oliver. Admittedly, there are a lot less quality DE prospects than quality WR prospects this draft so there is certainly a defensible logic to going DE first. But the risk of undermining the offense isn’t worth it IMO. That’s what I’m concerned about. I don’t know that McDermott will be able to help himself. He’s always prioritized his defense.