Rasul Douglas contract restructure... saves $2.5 mill

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

They probably put an extension in front of him and he has to decide whether to sign it or "bet on himself."

I mean that's the best explanation I have heard so far. It mystified me that Beane hadn't made an offer, and having an offer out there and not fully pressing the void year options on that extension would make far more sense if there was something Douglas was mulling on.

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

They fiddled,with his contract … why can’t they do it again If they extend him? They can still get his number for 2024 down further …

Is it technically possible, sure, it just would be extremely surprising for them to do that after having just been negotiating on it, have to imagine there might be some sort of agent/lawyer fees they could end up paying twice doing that.

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Is it technically possible, sure, it just would be extremely surprising for them to do that after having just been negotiating on it, have to imagine there might be some sort of agent/lawyer fees they could end up paying twice doing that.

I don’t think the extra fees will break the deal …

Announcing the earlier “restructure “ could just be a negotiation tactic ..

I will be very surprised if he doesn’t end up playing here past the end of his current contract which is this season … they still got $6m salary they can free up this year when every dollar is going to be tight 

Edited by Aussie Joe

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not for nothing, but Rasul Douglas hasn't even been here a year and tweets more cryptic stuff than Diggs entire career here lol. 

According to some posters the less you tweet the more you are hiding.

On 3/11/2024 at 5:21 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t think the extra fees will break the deal …

Announcing the earlier “restructure “ could just be a negotiation tactic ..

I will be very surprised if he doesn’t end up playing here past the end of his current contract which is this season … they still got $6m salary they can free up this year when every dollar is going to be tight 

I don't think they want to.

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think they want to.

Well … as we discovered with Rapp … you don’t always think the way they do…

Let’s see what happens … they aren’t on a deadline to get anything done … he is here all year 

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Well … as we discovered with Rapp … you don’t always don’t think the way they do…

Let’s see what happens … they aren’t on a deadline to get anything done … he is here all year 

No. But I think if they want to do that with Douglas the time was now. Even though I didn't want them to, I expected them to. They didn't. Which says to me they were not mad keen to do it.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. But I think if they want to do that with Douglas the time was now. Even though I didn't want them to, I expected them to. They didn't. Which says to me they were not mad keen to do it.

They did enough to get under the cap… they will make more roster moves to free up money as they see fit … they will need to create  more space  even to sign back up DTs 

Edited by Aussie Joe

On 3/16/2024 at 9:52 AM, GunnerBill said:

Looks like they already did it… they have basically now pushed as much money as they can down the road 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/rasul-douglas-21841/

This will take the early extension out of play as there is no further cap savings to be had in 2024 

Edited by Aussie Joe

29 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Looks like they already did it… they have basically now pushed as much money as they can down the road 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/rasul-douglas-21841/

This will take the early extension out of play as there is no further cap savings to be had in 2024 

Yea which goes to my point. If they wanted to extend him they do that rather than restructure.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea which goes to my point. If they wanted to extend him they do that rather than restructure.

Yeah Rasul is at the point now where age alone will likely lower his market value.   No real advantage to extending him now.    Draft another traits guy on day 3 and see if Benford and Elam elevate their games and then decide on Rasul next offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The initial reports of his restructure had him still playing on a  $6m  base salary in 2024  which is what I was questioning in the thread … It made zero sense to me that they wouldn’t take every dollar they could ..an explanation was an extension to further free up this money if needed down the road …obviously Spotrac got this one wrong  and the Bills  just restructured as much as they could straight away ..

Edited by Aussie Joe