Rasul Douglas contract restructure... saves $2.5 mill

19 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I see Douglas still has $6m counting as a “base salary” for 2024… couldn’t more of this figure been converted to a “restructure” freeing up more space this year ? 

It could. That it wasn't would indicate to me the Bills don't see him as a long term answer and so kicking the can too hard isn't their preference. 

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It could. That it wasn't would indicate to me the Bills don't see him as a long term answer and so kicking the can too hard isn't their preference. 

Their main focus should be finding more cap space for this season when they are tight up against it … if they kick another few million more down the road and don’t extend him…then I don’t  see what difference that makes to anything 

Edited by Aussie Joe

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Their main focus should be finding more cap space for this season when they are tight up against it … if they kick another few million more down the road and don’t extend him…then I don’t  see what difference that makes to anything 

Nor do I but they have been more cautious on can kicking so far this year in their moves than I'd have been.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2024 at 4:54 PM, Mat68 said:

Tough decision.  But on the field and cap wise.  Keeping Douglas over White is the right move.  

100% right move. Douglas can play and he plays tough! White, when healthy, doesn't know what tough is. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I see Douglas still has $6m counting as a “base salary” for 2024… couldn’t more of this figure been converted to a “restructure” freeing up more space this year ? 

Next year is the only year on the co tract so there ar eno years to average that down. Other than void years which they have already done.  Void years is dead money that counts in the future for a guy you have today.  

4 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Next year is the only year on the co tract so there ar eno years to average that down. Other than void years which they have already done.  Void years is dead money that counts in the future for a guy you have today.  

So why not put more to the void years? 

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Salary cap is just accounting 

ok, can you inform Beane and the Saints?

I am pretty sure you dont know what Andrew Brandt means when he said that.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

8 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

ok, can you inform Beane and the Saints?

Beane is too busy restructuring JA again and getting his dead cap to  $120m

But people want to do some pearl clutching over moving Rasul Douglas out a couple more million 

Edited by Aussie Joe

10 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

So no extension for Douglass, do you guys think that is what the Bill wanted, what Douglass wanted?  I assume they tried an extension but could not agree on numbers so they reduced his cap by adding void years.   I was hoping for an extension  guess.

Also, can someone explain his void money, same thing existed with Leanard Floyd. SPotrac has restructure  bonus as 0.812.5M for the next three years but a cap hit of all of that, 2.4375M next year.  I think if he is not signed longer term, they take the entire void hit next year?  I don't understand why they show additional void money in 26 and 27.  I am nearly positive it is not all additive.  Is that to average down the salary to bonus conversion or something?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/rasul-douglas-21841/

Correct, it's not all additive. It's one or the other. Spotrac shows it that way because they are showing what the numbers are technically, right now, and also what the numbers will be when the contract voids as expected. It's not an official site so they can do that. So yeah, the reason it shows $812,500 for the next 3 years (actually 4 years counting this one) is because technically the contract is not yet void and technically Douglas is under contract through 2027. So the proration is, for now, spread out between the years 2024-2027 at $812,500 per year. And yes, the $2,437,500 dead cap figure is the total of those 3 years from 2025-2027 that will all be accelerated to 2025 once the contract actually voids.

So if the contract voids as expected right before 2025 starts, the $2,437,500 number will be the 2025 dead cap. If, however, they reach a new deal that un-voids those years and Douglas stays under contract, then the $812,500 figures stay in place for those years as prorated bonus and the dead cap figure would disappear.

Edited by Tuco
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Correct, it's not all additive. It's one or the other. Spotrac shows it that way because they are showing what the numbers are technically, right now, and also what the numbers will be when the contract voids as expected. It's not an official site so they can do that. So yeah, the reason it shows $812,500 for the next 3 years (actually 4 years counting this one) is because technically the contract is not yet void and technically Douglas is under contract through 2027. So the proration is, for now, spread out between the years 2024-2027 at $812,500 per year. And yes, the $2,437,500 dead cap figure is the total of those 3 years from 2025-2027 that will all be accelerated to 2025 once the contract actually voids.

So if the contract voids as expected right before 2025 starts, the $2,437,500 number will be the 2025 dead cap. If, however, they reach a new deal that un-voids those years and Douglas stays under contract, then the $812,500 figures stay in place for those years as prorated bonus and the dead cap figure would disappear.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

Dude tweeting "decisions, decisions."

🤣

I mean the only thing that could possibly be at this point if it was even anything, which it probably isn't, would be a trade, he's already here this season and they just fiddled with his contract to figure it out, so that's really all it could be.

Seems much more likely players are goofing around after Dawkins.

Edited by Warcodered

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

Dude tweeting "decisions, decisions."

🤣

Not for nothing, but Rasul Douglas hasn't even been here a year and tweets more cryptic stuff than Diggs entire career here lol. 

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I mean the only thing that could possibly be at this point if it was even anything, which it probably isn't, would be a trade, he's already here this season and they just fiddled with his contract to figure it out, so that's really all it could be.

They fiddled,with his contract … why can’t they do it again If they extend him? They can still get his number for 2024 down further …

Edited by Aussie Joe