Wrestling and NFL Football Players (McDermott 76-1 as a Wrestler)

CaliBills

My daughter's high school boyfriend was a state champion wrestler.  The level of dedication and self-discipline he displayed was incredible.  He basically lived at our house and the poor kid used to watch us eat dinner but couldn't join us because he always had to make weight.

21 hours ago, boyst said:

i will never understand why wrestling is not more popular in this country.

it was some of the best experiences of my life and some of the hardest accomplishments i've ever done. from training in biddy programs as kid to training at univ of iowa as a teenager - learned A LOT.

Men don't really like rolling around floor with other sweaty men?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

21 hours ago, boyst said:

i will never understand why wrestling is not more popular in this country.

I think it’s a little like hockey.  The better the players get, the less fun it can be to watch.  You end up with super low-scoring matches/games as they don’t want to make the mistake causing them to lose. 

On 2/6/2024 at 3:13 PM, CaliBills said:

Agreed and same.  Wrestled and played football.  Loved both but wrestling was what I remember most.  

America doesn't want oiled up guys grappling eachother, and prefer the type that plays like a soap opera with comic book characters. Not enough entertainment factor like WWE; more like golf or paint drying lol. Not to knock the sport, but it seems like it would do better in Europe.

Now if you throw in characters and kayfabe, I think that would make it more digestible, but I feel that would teeter more towards what the XFL originally was rather than what pro wrestling became. 

On 2/6/2024 at 3:31 PM, dpberr said:

Gym class today isn't the wide world of sports menagerie that it once was.  I had wrestling for several weeks in gym from 5th grade to senior year.  The gym teacher did his best to pick a kid of similar weight and you'd go wrestle for a few minutes like gladiators surrounded by your classmates.  I feel like some kids joined wrestling because of the exposure to it in gym class.  

I enjoyed gym class.  Got to play dodgeball, basketball, football, baseball, tennis, field hockey, gymnastics, track, field, square dancing, archery, riflery and bowling all in one action packed year.  

You learned you were good at some things, terrible at others.  

Gym was my least favorite class by far.  Being forced against my will to run a mile at 8:30am is not my idea of enjoyment.  

That being said, I know a lot of people who got a lot out of sports and the life lessons they can teach.  I respected its inclusion in the curriculum even if I don't have an athletic bone in my body lol.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.