State of Mississippi demands repayment from Favre

stuvian

On 2/6/2024 at 2:37 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I used to love Farve as well.  I changed my opinion on him when his wife was battling cancer and he was sending D*** pics to that Florida State fan.  Wife is battling a life threatening disease and you're hitting on college women?  He is a public figure, this news gets out.  She's fighting cancer and the embarrassment of her husbands actions at the same time.

Ah yes, Jenn Sterger…Brett Musberger remembers her as well…

On 2/6/2024 at 3:44 AM, HamSandwhich said:

Do anyone have a good article explaining what happened exactly here, that’s fair for each sides point of view? This one seems a bit biased and gives no idea as to Favres stance (I realize there have probably been articles ad nauseam).

Question I have, was this willfully accepting money knowing it was not for this by Favre? Is there plausible deniability?  It may not matter to the law but would change my view on how I look at Favre.

ESPN was one of the entities that were accused by Favre so they have a reason to paint this in a certain light. 

Obviously I'm late to this thread, but as the only living member of Bills Mafia in the 90's from Mississippi, I can clif note this whole saga. 

The federal government sends TANF funds to each state for families living below the poverty line. (MS is the poorest state in the U.S. and 20% of Mississippian's live below the poverty line)

The previous and current governors of MS, Phil Bryant and Tate Reeves, basically made those funds their own personal slush fund, spending over $1 million on personal trainers (with no results!), investing into companies, including $2 million in a nasal spray Favre was hawking that could cure concussions, plus over $5 million for a volleyball arena at the University of Southern Mississippi (his daughter was on the team at the time), and much more. So far, around $90 million has been discovered as embezzled and funneled elsewhere. 

Of the 600,000 Mississippian's that live below the poverty line, only 200 people received any TANF funds. 

In addition to all this, Favre knowingly tried to be discreet about it because he knew it was wrong and he'd take a beating in the media. Of course it got out, he tried to intimidate people like Pat McAfee and Shannon Sharpe by suing them and of course he lost. The state auditor is just as culpable, it happened on his watch and he didn't do anything about it until the FBI started investigating it, since then he's been acting like the whistleblower, but he's really just another wannabe politician. 

In summary: MS is also the least educated state in the US, the most unhealthy, with citizen's averaging the shortest life span than any other state, even though the state leadership claims they're pro-life. The state really hasn't changed much since the end of the Civil War and the people who were stolen from essentially are used to being taken advantage like this and have too much real-life poverty concerns to spend time being outraged about this. Mississippi is also a small pond with big fish as they say, and this type of stuff has been going on there for centuries. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

11 hours ago, extrahammer said:

Obviously I'm late to this thread, but as the only living member of Bills Mafia in the 90's from Mississippi, I can clif note this whole saga. 

The federal government sends TANF funds to each state for families living below the poverty line. (MS is the poorest state in the U.S. and 20% of Mississippian's live below the poverty line)

The previous and current governors of MS, Phil Bryant and Tate Reeves, basically made those funds their own personal slush fund, spending over $1 million on personal trainers (with no results!), investing into companies, including $2 million in a nasal spray Favre was hawking that could cure concussions, plus over $5 million for a volleyball arena at the University of Southern Mississippi (his daughter was on the team at the time), and much more. So far, around $90 million has been discovered as embezzled and funneled elsewhere. 

Of the 600,000 Mississippian's that live below the poverty line, only 200 people received any TANF funds. 

In addition to all this, Favre knowingly tried to be discreet about it because he knew it was wrong and he'd take a beating in the media. Of course it got out, he tried to intimidate people like Pat McAfee and Shannon Sharpe by suing them and of course he lost. The state auditor is just as culpable, it happened on his watch and he didn't do anything about it until the FBI started investigating it, since then he's been acting like the whistleblower, but he's really just another wannabe politician. 

In summary: MS is also the least educated state in the US, the most unhealthy, with citizen's averaging the shortest life span than any other state, even though the state leadership claims they're pro-life. The state really hasn't changed much since the end of the Civil War and the people who were stolen from essentially are used to being taken advantage like this and have too much real-life poverty concerns to spend time being outraged about this. Mississippi is also a small pond with big fish as they say, and this type of stuff has been going on there for centuries. 

People should be in jail for this and the Fed govt should be leading the investigations, not the good ol boys

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, extrahammer said:

43 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

People should be in jail for this and the Fed govt should be leading the investigations, not the good ol boys

They did the opposite of Robin Hood. Steel from the poor and give to the rich. That's ***** low

Agree, and it looks like some are gonna get some form of justice (the million dollar mans son!), and others bit so much.  Money, fame and power goes along way. I could see how a backward state like Miss could be even worse

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Agree 2

All this to say, Favre is a complete idiot. Whether the Jenn Sterger harrassment (while Favre's wife was fighting cancer) or this, the dude has a mental problem and knows he can get away with a lot just by his name. The irony in the welfare scandal he stole from is that Favre made over $150 million in his career. 

On 2/7/2024 at 10:13 AM, HamSandwhich said:

Try not being such a douche. There are certainly hundreds of articles out there on this subject. I’m asking people specifically, who have been following this, if they’ve come across a fair representation of what happened without bias? Do you go to the robber that just robbed your house and ask them if they robbed your house and believe them when they say no? ESPN has the same reason to put this in a certain light, so they’re not exactly non-biased on this. I don’t blame them for that, just that they’re biased and I wanted a more neutral tone. So I asked the sleuths that have been following if they know of a good article. Some have responded appropriately, others are rude like yourself. Carry on 

OMG. It’s no wonder your screen name is not as smart as a ham sandwich 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, FitzShowUsYourTitz said:

OMG. It’s no wonder your screen name is not as smart as a ham sandwich 

I don’t expect you to understand the inside joke as you’re on the outside. 

I can tell you’re full of wisdom by your usage of “OMG” /sarcasm

Edited by HamSandwhich

On 2/12/2024 at 9:23 AM, extrahammer said:

All this to say, Favre is a complete idiot. Whether the Jenn Sterger harrassment (while Favre's wife was fighting cancer) or this, the dude has a mental problem and knows he can get away with a lot just by his name. The irony in the welfare scandal he stole from is that Favre made over $150 million in his career. 

He doesn't have a mental problem...he's just stupid.  He's a stupid athlete whose gifts throwing an oblong object prevented him from trying to become an educated member of society.  Not only that, his skill and fame gave him a sense of invincibility.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:25 PM, Southern Bills Fan said:

I was born and raised in Rochester and lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for 25 years. I moved back to Rochester about 4 years ago so I have a pretty good perspective on the two places. Most people who trash Mississippi, including on here, have never even been there. They get their information from tv and movies and assume its just a bunch of white dudes in pickups chasing a black guy trying to beat him. It's not like that at all, the Gulf Coast of Mississippi is nicer than anywhere in western NY. My fathers family is from Bath, NY and I can assure you that driving around the southern tier you will see twice as many confederate flags as in MS. Any black person who has lived in both places will tell you that the racism in the north is way worse than in the south.

You know this how, exactly?    Even if you were a black person, how can you claim to speak for all blacks who have lived in both places?  

Aside from that, most states are large enough that there are huge differences between various regions within each state.   My guess is that the Gulf Coast is significantly different from the Delta just as Long Island is almost an alien world compared to the Adirondaks.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.