Data: Men v Women ideological trend - you won’t be surprised

The married/unmarried graph helps illustrate an important point I try to make to men trying to find a wife: outside of extreme leftist politics you really shouldn’t care what a girl’s political views are. If she’s sufficiently into you she’ll just drift your way naturally. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LeviF said:

The married/unmarried graph helps illustrate an important point I try to make to men trying to find a wife: outside of extreme leftist politics you really shouldn’t care what a girl’s political views are. If she’s sufficiently into you she’ll just drift your way naturally. 

I would say this true... up until 6/24/2022.

107167257-16711402482022-05-04t005049z_8

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, LeviF said:

if i had a daughter, I would not wish her to be far left or right.  I would especially not wish her to drift away over her principles.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

if i had a daughter, I would not wish her to be far left or right.  I would especially not wish her to drift away over her principles.

Women tend to be a bit more fluid than men when it comes to things like religious or political views. It could cut two ways, men being more stubborn for instance and I don’t necessarily buy the entirety of “women are more susceptible to emotional manipulation.” But women form opinions differently than men do. 

49 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's quite the liberal trend for young woman in the last 15 years.  These trends have a way of reverting back to the mean over time though.

what mean?  I think the data shows women generally are against authoritarianism, warring and bullying.  It's ancient and little changed from the time of the Greek play "lysistrata"....

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

what mean?  I think the data shows women generally are against authoritarianism, warring and bullying.  It's ancient and little changed from the time of the Greek play "lysistrata"....

This whole thing is kind of funny Roe versus Wade is going to destroy the Republicans at the ballot box

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/28/2024 at 4:52 AM, Doc Brown said:

That's quite the liberal trend for young woman in the last 15 years.  These trends have a way of reverting back to the mean over time though.

Are young women really becoming more liberal? Or are we merely responding to a global political climate that has been shifting rightward underneath us? Maybe the proper question to ask is why young men’s brains are so reactionary and conspiracy-laden, compared to young men from just a couple decades ago? In this country alone, conservatives today are demonstrably more insane than they were at the turn of the century. We know this by comparing GOP policy platforms and candidate speeches throughout recent history.

My working theory (based on the history of fascism): among men, the global shift to the right is a misdirected consequence of deep economic anxiety, in a world dominated by late-stage neoliberalism. Women tend not to feel this economic anxiety in the same way as men do, partly because the economic climate of bifurcated “haves” and “have-nots” is dictated heavily by educational attainment levels (which currently favor women by a fair amount). A bit of evolutionary psychology, however, is also at play: we know that men are disproportionately judged in society by their wealth accumulation.

On 1/28/2024 at 5:39 AM, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Woah! A Lysistrata reference!

Speaking VERY GENERALLY (which is what this obnoxiously reductive thread is all about), women don’t view empathy as a source of weakness. We are not afraid of it informing our public policy stances. Logical thought, devoid of empathy, can normalize sociopathy.

I would also argue that empathy is inextricably linked with rational decision-making in highly complex social structures. A couple examples of what I mean:

1. Universal health care and labor rights optimizing macroeconomic growth.

2. “Golden Rule” principles, as they pertain to issues like environmental rights/negative externalities, LGBT rights, and blowback from imperialistic foreign policies.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:13 AM, John from Riverside said:

This whole thing is kind of funny Roe versus Wade is going to destroy the Republicans at the ballot box

Agreed…if not as early as this November, then definitely by the end of the decade. I’m tempering my electoral optimism for 2024 because of Biden’s senility and also because of the obvious ethnic cleansing in Gaza that he is condoning.

If Republicans were politically savvy, they would advocate for some form of a bipartisan federal codification of Roe v. Wade, centered around 15 weeks and full of well-articulated exceptions.

They are not politically savvy, however. They have instead chosen to declare some sort of bizarre pro-choice proxy war, of sorts, on Taylor Swift and on young females everywhere. Their candid outreach program for our demographic consists of calling us dumb, frivolous, hopelessly emotional, slutty, and too focused on having careers. Their best advice for us (no joke, if you glance at their social media and news media outlets!) is to hurry up and marry a conservative who will keep us focused on our true purposes: reproduction, housekeeping, and delicious sandwich-making. Let’s see how their antiquated wishful thinking plays out electorally…< insert Michael Jackson popcorn-eating gif here >…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:59 PM, Big Blitz said:

"If you disagree with me you're a sociopath."

And they can't fathom why young men are running in the opposite direction.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:48 PM, LeviF said:

I date in Atlanta, and while most women in the city identify as liberal.. when we talk, they agree with me anywhere from 80-90% on every topic. 

So either I’m extremely persuasive or most women are just engrained to identify that way until/if they meet a man who is a normal conservative… excluding weirdo incels who hate them. 

• Like (+1) 1