The Ripoff Report 2023 Finale - Autopsy and Prognosis

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

There’s a saying I am fond of: “Success knows many fathers but failure is an orphan.” Well, that is inverted with the Buffalo Bills. The Bills deserved to lose that game last night, and there were many, many contributing factors. 

• If I am to pick one person who doesn’t have feces smeared on his face this morning it’s Joe Brady. I won’t say that he called a perfect game, but if I told you that the Bills had put up 24 points while holding onto the ball for 14 more minutes than the Chiefs I think a lot of people would have expected a blowout. Even if there was a bit of a stall when the Chiefs adjusted to stop the run, the offense was clicking up to the 2 minute warning. At 2nd and 9 at the 36, the Bills were in position to burn the clock and either force OT with a chipshot FG or put the dagger in with a TD. And guys were open. I can’t fault Brady for that. Maybe the offense wasn’t high flying, but if I was going to write a game script, the long drives (mostly for TD) is exactly what I would have tried to do to keep KC off the field and the defense rested. That is, if the defense could actually get a stop. If I am the Bills, I am doing everything I can to keep him, even if its just for one more year.
  • Look, I get it. The defense is banged up. We all know it. We were running AJ Klein out there. But having AJ Klein on Travis Kelce? OOOOOOOF. No wonder the Chiefs spammed that advantage. It seemed like nothing changed up until it was far too late. I saw the stat of 20+ yard plays and they absolutely crushed the Bills on those. The Bills would methodically grind out a TD and then the Chiefs would zip down to match. I said this week that it was time to push all chips into the table, and someone asked me what it mean. It meant that if the injured players were anywhere near to go we had to start them. I am not on the medical staff, but we clearly saw the difference.
  • I will say this about 2023: Josh’s WRs, as a whole, let him down this season and I think it’s why things seemed to struggle. I get it that Mahomes isn’t working with his best cast but my god, those drops my Sherfield and Diggs were backbreaking. For people who said that it can’t get worse than Gabe Davis, this is my retort. Even one of those deep catches working out changes the script.
  • Special teams. Oof. Where do I even begin? I know I don’t like Matt Haack, but even he would have been better than Martin last night. Martin was clearly not ready and he gifted field position. Bass has been unclutch, and if he can’t kick in December winds I think it might be time to move on. But for the love of god, what was with that fake punt? I know they saw a mismatch, and it wound up not giving points, but sweet mercy was that painful to watch play out. With that kind of advantage, what does it say about coaching one of the highest paid ST units in the league? We pay guys for this level of play.
  • Josh. I love Josh Allen. He is a special player. But for the love of god did he screw the pooch inside of 2 minutes. It’s not that I hate taking a shot at the end zone on a 2nd and long. In most situations, I am fine with it even if it doesn’t work out. But you have to know the situation here. The decision to gun it at that moment is terrible. Say it worked, that the Bills gun the ball into the endzone to take a 4 point lead under two minutes. That is 1:55 and 2 timeouts for the Chiefs to score and they had shown little issue moving up and down the field. Diggs is wide open on the crossing route for what should be an easy 1st down or a makeable 3rd. The clock keeps ticking. The Bills don’t need to hurry they have 2 timeouts and Kansas will be burning some too. Josh is a veteran at this point and while he had a good game on the whole those are the kinds of things people point too when they say that Mahomes is on another level. 

• So that’s my autopsy. Where do we go from here? Well…there actually isn’t a lot the Bills can do.  I know the cap is malleable but even if I wanted to advocate burning it all down the Bills really can’t. (I know, I looked into it after Denver and Philly). Our top 4 cap hits are Josh, Diggs, Von Miller and Dion Dawkins. Dawkins is the only one we could cut outright and get cap space for, and why would we? He played at a Pro Bowl level. Josh, if anything, will be looking at an extension. Even if I wanted to move on from Diggs and Von on down years, knowing their potential makes me loath to lose cap space. The biggest pending FA departures are set to be Hyde (who I think might just retire), DaQuan and Floyd. The last two I think we have a decent chance of getting back.
  • In spite of everything, I do think there is legitimate reason for optimism. The one thing about the utter devastation on our defensive starters is that we found that we have extremely talent depth who looked good as starters in big moment. Bernard really came on as a LB and we thought was a Pro Bowl snub. Back with a healthy Milano that looks like an incredible talent pairing with solid depth in Williams and Spector. We still have a solid CB group (Douglas, Benford, TJ). The O-line had its best year in a while and looks to be mostly intact going in (I can see only one potential cap casualty). James Cook looks like a superstar. Our draft classes over the last two years hit in big ways. We saw starters and significant rotation from our 2022 and 23 drafts (Cook, Bernard, Shakir, Benford, Spector, Kincaid, Torrence, Williams), which speaks very well to longevity. 2024 will be taking some medicine on some contracts (Knox, Miller, possibly Tre White if the team thinks he’s washed), and this team can still compete. 
  • Coaches! I really hope the Bills retain Brady and give him another year to scheme. For reference, around the league Brian Johnson of the Eagles (and the second half collapse that has every fan howling for blood) is apparently a hot candidate at the moment. Compared to that Brady is Bill Walsh. McDermott needs help too, I expect a DC to help him even if he handles play calling still.
  • Offseason: WR, WR, WR. If I am Beane, I am grinding film on every 1st and 2nd round prospect. Draftek does good work, and there are 14 WRs with the measurables to be a potential Peerless Price class player in the top 100 picks. There has to be someone available at 28. I don’t care if it’s a reach, get them.

Good post. With regard to WR, I am of the mind that if THAT guy is there at, say the 15-17 slot, trading up and use a bunch of capital to do it has to be done at this point. They need to give an Allen elite option who can win regularly win one-on-one NOW. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Good post. With regard to WR, I am of the mind that if THAT guy is there at, say the 15-17 slot, trading up and use a bunch of capital to do it has to be done at this point. They need to give an Allen elite option who can win regularly win one-on-one NOW. 

I feel opposite. This team needs an infusion of youth on cheap contracts, you can’t get that trading away capital. Difference making receivers aren’t only found at the top of the first round, it’s easier to identify one in theory, but they get selected pretty much throughout the first to the fifth round. Just gotta hit on the right one(s).

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

yeah but...you do understand that teams do not radically change schemes midseason, right? Brady ran a lot of 3 WR at Clemson and arguably that's a better fit for Josh. But he couldn't do a full install on the fly.

HC ain't changing. Don't know what to tell you. I don't hate McD's calls this game overall (unless he was part of the fake punt). 

Clemson?!?! What heresy is this?!?!

OIP.KLSwlbdnt5KJzKtkQLR8WAHaFj?rs=1&pid=

20 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I feel opposite. This team needs an infusion of youth on cheap contracts, you can’t get that trading away capital. Difference making receivers aren’t only found at the top of the first round, it’s easier to identify one in theory, but they get selected pretty much throughout the first to the fifth round. Just gotta hit on the right one(s).

CeeDee Lamb was 17th. Justin Jefferson was 22nd. Brandon Aiyuk was 25th. Jordan Addison was 22nd. Jaxon Smith-Njigba was 20th. Zay Flowers was 22nd. DJ Moore was 24th. Calvin Ridley was 26th.

ALL of those slots come before 28. If they see a guy from 15 onward who can help take their space alien QB's passing game to the next level, they gotta do to what they need to do to get him. It's what's holding the Bills back now more than anything else. Obviously, it goes without saying that they shouldn't be reaching for the next Jaelon Rheagor or DeVante Parker. 

44 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Not sure I agree on Williams.  Given that he was a highly touted 3rd round pick, how did he end up at #6 on the depth chart? (Milano, Bernard, Dodson, Klein and Spector ahead of him)

Apparently the coaches aren't impressed enough with him to prefer him to Klein who was on the couch, and who even several years ago was noticeably slower than molasses.  

Dude.....you do know that Klein was NOT on the team until LB's were dropping like flies.  You do know that Klein, 2 weeks ago was heading for a family vacation in the Keys for several weeks.  That information doesn't jive with your ramblings of Williams at all.  You do know that both Klein AND Williams were on the field at the same time for numerous plays yesterday right?  Do you even follow the Bills at all?  Did you watch the game yesterday?  Can you form your own opinions or do you get swept by the wave of the negative nellies on this site??  Sheesh.....SMFH.  For MOST of the season Williams WAS playing ahead of Spector.  Pull it together man.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

CeeDee Lamb was 17th. Justin Jefferson was 22nd. Brandon Aiyuk was 25th. Jordan Addison was 22nd. Jaxon Smith-Njigba was 20th. Zay Flowers was 22nd. DJ Moore was 24th. Calvin Ridley was 26th.

ALL of those slots come before 28. If they see a guy from 15 onward who can help take their space alien QB's passing game to the next level, they gotta do to what they need to do to get him. It's what's holding the Bills back now more than anything else. Obviously, it goes without saying that they shouldn't be reaching for the next Jaelon Rheagor or DeVante Parker. 

That’s the problem, you don’t know if you’re mortgaging picks to select a future all pro, a middling player, or a bust like Quentin Johnson (yes it’s early but I’m calling it already). Good receivers can be had all over the draft. Picking at the top gives you a better chance to hit on a great talent, but you also run the risk of selecting a JAG. For a team in need of youth on cheap contracts, I’m just not in favor of mortgaging picks for a lottery ticket.

Just for fun, these were a few difference makers selected after 28:

Deebo Samuel 36

AJ Brown 51

George Pickens 52

DK Metcalf 64

Tank Dell 69

Cooper Kupp 69

Terry McLaurin 76

Chris Godwin 84

Nico Collins 89

Amon-Ra St Brown 112

Stefon Diggs 146

Hunter Renfrow 149

Tyreek Hill 165

Darius Slayton 171

Puka Nacua 177

Edited by Brand J
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brand J said:

That’s the problem, you don’t know if you’re mortgaging picks to select a future all pro, a middling player, or a bust like Quentin Johnson (yes it’s early but I’m calling it already). Good receivers can be had all over the draft. Picking at the top gives you a better chance to hit on a great talent, but you also run the risk of selecting a bust. For a team in need of youth on cheap contracts, I’m just not in favor of mortgaging picks for a lottery ticket.

Just for fun, these were a few difference makers selected after 28:

Deebo Samuel 36

AJ Brown 51

George Pickens 52

DK Metcalf 64

Tank Dell 69

Cooper Kupp 69

Terry McLaurin 76

Chris Godwin 84

Nico Collins 89

Amon-Ra St Brown 112

Stefon Diggs 146

Hunter Renfrow 149

Tyreek Hill 165

Darius Slayton 171

Puka Nacua 177

I get it, but what I'm talking about is a player the team truly believes will be that guy. Of course, personnel guys are wrong all the time, but if they DO believe -- like the believed in Kincaid last year (who I was all in on) -- you have to have the courage of your convictions and go get that guy. They loved Jordan Addison last year, and they were right about him.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I get it, but what I'm talking about is a player the team truly believes will be that guy. Of course, personnel guys are wrong all the time, but if they DO believe -- like the believed in Kincaid last year (who I was all in on) -- you have to have the courage of your convictions and go get that guy. They loved Jordan Addison last year, and they were right about him.

I guess I should’ve mentioned I’m not in favor of trading up for any position that isn’t a QB, so my responses are a bit biased from that standpoint. Loved what Kincaid brought to the team, but didn’t like trading up to get him. Hated trading up for Elam too. I feel there’s always players that go after the infatuation who prove to be just as good or better. Of course the trick is hitting on that player.

But in regards to trading up, if I compiled a list of 4th rounders we had the opportunity to draft if not for the trade up, you’d cry. If Dallas had selected Kincaid, I was all for trading back and accumulating lottery tickets. I’ll admit that LaPorta wasn’t even on my radar, all I heard was Kincaid and Meyer being the top two premiere TEs. Kudos to Detroit for picking LaPorta ahead of Meyer in the 2nd.

8 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Dude.....you do know that Klein was NOT on the team until LB's were dropping like flies.  You do know that Klein, 2 weeks ago was heading for a family vacation in the Keys for several weeks.  That information doesn't jive with your ramblings of Williams at all.  You do know that both Klein AND Williams were on the field at the same time for numerous plays yesterday right?  Do you even follow the Bills at all?  Did you watch the game yesterday?  Can you form your own opinions or do you get swept by the wave of the negative nellies on this site??  Sheesh.....SMFH.  For MOST of the season Williams WAS playing ahead of Spector.  Pull it together man.....

Wow, you're easily excitable.  Actually you completely misunderstood my point.  I know everything you pointed out, which just emphasizes mine.  Williams was such a disappointment that they actually preferred a slow Klein who was heading for a family vacation in the Keys to their 3rd round pick.  Williams played a whopping 6 defensive snaps in the KC game.  SIX.  That's not "numerous" according to the dictionary definition. (Look it up if you own a dictionary.)  McD said it was the first time he'd ever coached a game with only 4 LBs dressed and yet Williams only got on the field for 6 plays.  Explain to me how that disproves my point that the coaching staff was disappointed in him.

Do you even follow the Bills at all?  Spector was hurt for a lot of the season so naturally Williams was playing ahead of Spector. The fact of the matter is that Williams had a lot of defensive snaps early in the season but the last time he had more than 7 in a game was more than two months ago, on November 19 against the Jets.  I don't recall him being on the injury reports so it seems that the coaches simply weren't happy with his play.

My observation is that the Bills used Williams far less than you might have expected from a third round draft pick on a team with a severely depleted linebacker corps.  I think you didn't read my post very carefully but I understand that you're upset today.  Relax.

Edited by Dan Darragh
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Wow, you're easily excitable.  Actually you completely misunderstood my point.  I know everything you pointed out, which just emphasizes mine.  Williams was such a disappointment that they actually preferred a slow Klein who was heading for a family vacation in the Keys to their 3rd round pick.  Williams played a whopping 6 defensive snaps in the KC game.  SIX.  That's not "numerous" according to the dictionary definition. (Look it up if you own a dictionary.)  McD said it was the first time he'd ever coached a game with only 4 LBs dressed and yet Williams only got on the field for 6 plays.  Explain to me how that disproves my point that the coaching staff was disappointed in him.

Do you even follow the Bills at all?  Spector was hurt for a lot of the season so naturally Williams was playing ahead of Spector. The fact of the matter is that Williams had a lot of defensive snaps early in the season but the last time he had more than 7 in a game was more than two months ago, on November 19 against the Jets.  I don't recall him being on the injury reports so it seems that the coaches simply weren't happy with his play.

My observation is that the Bills used Williams far less than you might have expected from a third round draft pick on a team with a severely depleted linebacker corps.  I think you didn't read my post very carefully but I understand that you're upset today.  Relax.

I am relaxing......and I stand corrected.  It "seemed" to me that Williams had more than 6 snaps, quite obviously I was wrong.  Crow eaten.  

Bottom line McD's use of Klein on Kelce was borderline criminal.  Not like the Bills never played nor saw any tape of Kelce......that really irks me and clouded my LB judgement.....again.  I stand corrected.

Edited by Kwai San

3 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I am relaxing......and I stand corrected.  It "seemed" to me that Williams had more than 6 snaps, quite obviously I was wrong.  Crow eaten.  

Bottom line McD's use of Klein on Kelce was borderline criminal.  Not like the Bills never played nor saw any tape of Kelce......that really irks me and clouded my LB judgement.....again.  I stand corrected.

You're a big man, many posters would have snarked back.

I'm not sure what other choice McD had for Kelce given the roster situation and his apparently low opinion of Williams.  

At night, as I'm fading off to sleep, I see images of Kelce being covered by 58...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/22/2024 at 8:12 AM, Dan Darragh said:

Not sure I agree on Williams.  Given that he was a highly touted 3rd round pick, how did he end up at #6 on the depth chart? (Milano, Bernard, Dodson, Klein and Spector ahead of him)

Apparently the coaches aren't impressed enough with him to prefer him to Klein who was on the couch, and who even several years ago was noticeably slower than molasses.  

Bernard couldn't sniff the field as a rookie either and the staff has turned him into a potential cornerstone MLB.  I like Williams' raw skills and intensity.  He just needs to continue to learn, mature and become more disciplined.  If his mindset is right, then I think he has a bright future.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Bernard couldn't sniff the field as a rookie either and the staff has turned him into a potential cornerstone MLB.  I like Williams' raw skills and intensity.  He just needs to continue to learn, mature and become more disciplined.  If his mindset is right, then I think he has a bright future.

I hope you're right.  Not everyone can be 58.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

It is my rose colored glasses take for sure.  But we've seen other second year players (not named Elam) make big leaps in year two under McDermott.  Fingers crossed.

Let's give Elam his due: he was hurt all year and didn't look good.  But my oh my, did he exhibit quick hands in the Pittsburgh game.  Go back and look at that INT again.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2024 at 12:40 PM, Dan Darragh said:

You're a big man, many posters would have snarked back.

I'm not sure what other choice McD had for Kelce given the roster situation and his apparently low opinion of Williams.  

At night, as I'm fading off to sleep, I see images of Kelce being covered by 58...

That's a good vision to imagine!!!  Hey if I am wrong I admit it.....and.....I was wrong.  Way off on my speculation that Williams was and had played more.  Thats what ya get when yer watching games in a bar!!!

On 1/22/2024 at 9:02 AM, Buddy Hix said:

Optimism???

Look at the cap situation. The Bills only hope would be to accept that they are in cap hell, regroup and make another run in 3-4 years…but they absolutely will not do that.

That's not the way the cap works if you know what you are doing. Clearly you don't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.