It may not be fair to Brady but we need to expand our search for offensive coordinator

Beast

He took over mid-season and basically had to run Dorsey’s offense. Our passing game really never got on track under him. Was Dorsey’s offense the reason? Was it the lack of play-making wide receivers (then why fire Dorsey) Was it something else? 

The Bills, with Josh Allen as their QB, need to be an offense that you expect to put up 30 points a game. The Bills struggled to do that way too often. Tight games against inferior opponents. Even during the winning streak.

Brady may be the answer. I just don’t know. What I do know is I would search high and low for any and all offensive minds that are available and I’d get on this ASAP. As in today. You can’t wait around for a week or two because other teams are looking.  The Bills can’t screw around with this and not look to see if there are better options. 

Like I said, Brady may be the guy that gets the job anyway but it certainly shouldn’t be by default. If it is, that is our first mistake in what is now our off-season.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Maybe. It wasn't perfect. But we would not have made the playoffs without him. Against KC he schemed guys open & had them in a chance to win. Sherfield & Diggs dropping passes, not blocking long enough to get that pass to Shakir in the end zone or not dumping it to Diggs. None of that is on Brady. That's the players. I thought he did a great job coming in mid season. I bet he's even better with an off-season to plan. I vote we keep him, which means Jack sheet since they don't consult me. We need a young WR-1 most of all cause good players make good coaches.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Maybe. It wasn't perfect. But we would not have made the playoffs without him. Against KC he schemed guys open & had them in a chance to win. Sherfield & Diggs dropping passes, not blocking long enough to get that pass to Shakir in the end zone or not dumping it to Diggs. None of that is on Brady. That's the players. I thought he did a great job coming in mid season. I bet he's even better with an off-season to plan. I vote we keep him, which means Jack sheet since they don't consult me. We need a young WR-1 most of all cause good players make good coaches.

It’s not about one game to me. I wasn’t complaining about our offense last night. I think they did good overall but the passing game was just OK.  When KC shut our running game down better we struggled.

This is about very pedestrian efforts through the air against a lot of teams down the stretch. The Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins….all games where our passing game looked mediocre at best. Games they certainly won but eeked them out probably more due to defensive efforts. So I disagree that we wouldn’t have made the playoffs without him. The defense carried the team down the stretch.

The Last 7 games, to include the playoffs, the Bills offense scored 57 points.in the second half of games. That’s a three and a half game output of 16.2 points over 60 minutes. That simply is not good enough. At the very least that shouldn’t secure Joe Brady the job of being this teams offensive coordinator without competition.

Edited by Beast

I'd say yeah we do need a new OC.

We ran the ball but passing game was less than stellar under Brady

But tbh, talking about replacing just our OC is like changing a light bulb on a totalled vehicle. Sure, the bulb is blown, but the MFing car ain't going anywhere anyway

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I like Joe Brady. I Think he should keep the job. I like our balance attack approach  but I think if he going to continue with that approach and wants to take the offense to next level bring in Derrick Henry. Make him and Cook our 1-2 punch out the backfield and add another WR. I think it would take our offense to another level. 

The entire league is about stealing plays from other teams, so running someone elses playbook is really not a big deal.

What separates OC, is situational play calling.  Brady has fallen off a cliff there.  Need to bring in someone else.

I thought Brady called a good game last night. Sure there is always one or two playcalls here and there you want back, newflash, Andy Reid had a couple of those too - like running a gimmick play at the goalline when Pacheco had rumbled his way in mere moments before. 

I don't think the execution issues on the final drive were on Brady. I mostly liked the calls. What we need is explosiveness outside. That is a desperate need. It was a need last offseason when Gabe was healthy and Stef was coming off a huge year. It is an even bigger need with Gabe hurt and out of contract and Stef nicked up and underperforming down the stretch. 

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Replace him with who though? All of the great coordinators will get HC jobs or stay in a comfortable situation. 

How many OC's does McDermott get to go through?

Right. There are never any up and comers. All great offensive coordinators were hired as such, right? They didn’t start off as positional coaches.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought Brady called a good game last night. Sure there is always one or two playcalls here and there you want back, newflash, Andy Reid had a couple of those too - like running a gimmick play at the goalline when Pacheco had rumbled his way in mere moments before. 

I don't think the execution issues on the final drive were on Brady. I mostly liked the calls. What we need is explosiveness outside. That is a desperate need. It was a need last offseason when Gabe was healthy and Stef was coming off a huge year. It is an even bigger need with Gabe hurt and out of contract and Stef nicked up and underperforming down the stretch. 

Again, this is not about one game or even saying Brady might not be capable.

It’s saying that they should look to improve because, quite frankly, the offense struggled for the most part. Even under Brady’s watch.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Again, this is not about one game or even saying Brady might not be capable.

It’s saying that they should look to improve because, quite frankly, the offense struggled for the most part. Even under Brady’s watch.

I think the reason for our offensive struggles go back to Brandon Beane above anybody else. 

Find an OC who is a master, one with long term success.  one who has already been fired as a HC.  We don’t want our OC leaving in 1-2 years. Joe Brady is already getting HC interviews for Pete’s sake. 

id put Kliff Kingsbury on that list. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the reason for our offensive struggles go back to Brandon Beane above anybody else. 

Maybe so but he has brought in Kincaid and Cook….and the o-line is looking nice.

Edited by Beast

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

Right. There are never any up and comers. All great offensive coordinators were hired as such, right? They didn’t start off as positional coaches.

No. You make  good point.

I'm just saying a HC should only get so many opportunities to change coordinators. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.