So we're firing McD, right?

Heavy Kevi

Should the Bills Fire McDermott?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Fire McDermott?

• Yep. Too many bad losses and bad coaching in the playoffs
    • Heck No. Playoffs year after year, and we're one of the best teams on NFL

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Get this - in our 2021 divisional loss to the Chiefs they had 7.6 yards per play.

So our defensive performance tonight was arguably worse than when they had Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce in their prime.

Yeah we're never winning anything meaningful under McDermott.

You expected our defense tonight to perform better than our mostly healthy defense in 2021? 🙄

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Get this - in our 2021 divisional loss to the Chiefs they had 7.6 yards per play.

So our defensive performance tonight was arguably worse than when they had Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce in their prime.

Yeah we're never winning anything meaningful under McDermott.

Bills RBs averaged 4ypa

and Chiefs RBs averaged an insane 7.5ypa

w/out usual Allen playoff heroics and some Mahomes misfires we are in danger of getting run out of our own building today

and honestly the gameplan on offense reflected that concern

2 minutes ago, Bill51390 said:

You expected our defense tonight to perform better than our mostly healthy defense in 2021? 🙄

Uh yeah I would trade Terrel Bernard, Christian Benford, and a banged up Rasul Douglas for Tyreek Hill without hesitation.

McDermott's defense melting down in the playoffs is an annual tradition now. There's no reason to pretend it's a one-off caused by injuries. The sample size is large enough now to say that this is who McDermott is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

Asking Allen to dink and dunk down the field for 8 minute drives, just so your sieve defense doesn’t get exposed is lunacy.

Is that what “complementary football” is?

Many great coaches have used ball control to keep a potent offense on the sidelines.   Do you remember super bowl 25?

17 minutes ago, Blazman11 said:

A ham sandwich can coach this team into the playoffs with Allen at QB.

Well then.  I guess you found our replacement head coach.

Way to go!

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Upward trajectory with McDermott is OVER.

This season almost ended up a disaster, only to end where it always does, a game shy of the AFCCG.

Team will look a lot different next year; it has to.

Great time to rebuild and go in a new direction with a new HC.

The market is as good as it's been in YEARS.

Pick one and go!

Well said. Unfortunately, Terry P isn't listening. 

17 minutes ago, Blazman11 said:

Dude just stop.  You look like a complete idiot.  The end zone play was there.  It wasn't reckless, it wasn't a stupid decision, it was the right decision.  Allen got hit as he was throwing and couldn't put it where he wanted.  The receiver was wide open in the end zone.

If Allen throws it to Diggs and we still don't score on the drive I'm sure you would be the first person here saying Allen should have thrown the ball in the end zone when the play was there.  You should be wondering why we were at best playing for OT and most likely would have lost anyways in regulation.  There were still 2 more downs to pick up 8 yards.  Or why we constantly ran into the line on first down banging our heads into a brick wall when they were ripe for play action.  Or giving McDermott everything he wants on D to come up short again.  McDermott had the game he creams his boxers over - 186 yards rushing and dominating in time of possession.  And he still lost.  

Yeah no, I was mentally begging him the entire time to take the Diggs crosser, it's the right call there.  If you take the endzone strike there, it's gotta be perfect.  It's a tough throw, despite our QB being good enough to make it look easy most of the time.

Still thrilled to have him as our QB.  We were very close to pulling it off.  Just couldn't quite come up with all of the plays when we needed them.

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If you're expecting or even hoping for that... you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Gonna be some changes. Bass is gone. There will be players coming in and going out. But Brady, McDermott, and Beane are safe. No question. 

Sadly I know this is 100% accurate.

With that said, it's reasonable to expect another playoff disappointment next year (Assuming the Bills make the playoffs). It's a staple of a McD coach. 

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

No

Does no mean yes? 

5 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

As much as I don’t like McD, the De was a shambles going in.

They had to play a perfect game and control the clock to cover for the D. 
   Josh missed Shakir in the EZ. Diggs dropped a bomb he HAS to catch. We didn’t get a fumble in the first quarter. It’s a couple plays every game. 
   I do agree that Josh’s best years are being wasted…. Now for some LBs and safeties taken at the top of the draft😏

You forgot to mention the gift the Bills received with the football out of the end zone. The woulda coulda conversation doesn't work here. It cuts both ways. 

Bottom line is the Bills lost and they are 0-3 vs KC. I ask what's going to change to make you think the Bills can beat KC or a healthy Cinci? I ask you do you think McD can lead this team to a SB appearance?

Hard not to feel pessimistic right now. This is a low point for the Bills. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Uh yeah I would trade Terrel Bernard, Christian Benford, and a banged up Rasul Douglas for Tyreek Hill without hesitation.

McDermott's defense melting down in the playoffs is an annual tradition now. There's no reason to pretend it's a one-off caused by injuries. The sample size is large enough now to say that this is who McDermott is.

Yeah, no ***** Hill would be great. 

But if you expected good or even decent defense from this injury depleted defense in the playoffs against the Chiefs, I question your football knowledge. Klein and a banged up Dodson in the middle was never going to work, I don’t care who your coach is. 

The defense was just missing to many key players to be successful tonight. Not Mcdermotts fault. 2021 Chiefs playoff game, yes, that was all on coaching. But this one, I don’t fault him. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Avisan said:

Yeah no, I was mentally begging him the entire time to take the Diggs crosser, it's the right call there.  If you take the endzone strike there, it's gotta be perfect.  It's a tough throw, despite our QB being good enough to make it look easy most of the time.

Still thrilled to have him as our QB.  We were very close to pulling it off.  Just couldn't quite come up with all of the plays when we needed them.

I'll type slower for you.  Shakir was wide open.  In.  The.  Endzone.  Allen was hit as he released the ball.  The ball needed to travel about 43 air yards and travelled 42.  Even noodle arm Tua has more than enough arm to make this throw.  

Screenshot 2024-01-22 031011.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bill51390 said:

Klein and a banged up Dodson in the middle was never going to work

Whose decision was it to start Klein over Williams? Klein was picked on from the very start. When he was replaced by Williams late in the game the defense suddenly got a couple stops. So even the thing you're using as an excuse was ultimately the fault of McDermott.

No more excuses. It is four years of underwhelming to awful defensive performances in the playoffs.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Governor said:

And then KC would’ve scored 3 plays later. You still need a defense to win a championship and we don’t have a quality DC, scheme, or players. It doesn’t matter what style of offense we have.

In today's modern day football it's offenses that win football games. Defenses can lose you a game but it's virtually impossible for a defense to win games. The rules are just against defenses. There are no more elite defenses like in the past for a reason. 

All you need is a serviceable defense that is capable of making a big stop or two along with a possible turnover. 

The fastest way to get into the playoffs and win super bowls is with a franchise QB. 

47 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

0-3 against the Chiefs in the playoffs, including a home game.  I would say it's safe to say he isn't win is a Lombardi .  If you can't win with Josh Allen then you can't win

BOOM!!! This should be a required read by all Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

In today's modern day football it's offenses that win football games. Defenses can lose you a game but it's virtually impossible for a defense to win games. The rules are just against defenses. There are no more elite defenses like in the past for a reason. 

All you need is a serviceable defense that is capable of making a big stop or two along with a possible turnover. 

The fastest way to get into the playoffs and win super bowls is with a franchise QB. 

The top 3 defenses advanced. That shifted this season. Even last years SB was two top 5 defenses. Philly was #1 I believe.

Edited by Governor

45 minutes ago, Blazman11 said:

Dude just stop.  You look like a complete idiot.  The end zone play was there.  It wasn't reckless, it wasn't a stupid decision, it was the right decision.  Allen got hit as he was throwing and couldn't put it where he wanted.  The receiver was wide open in the end zone.

If Allen throws it to Diggs and we still don't score on the drive I'm sure you would be the first person here saying Allen should have thrown the ball in the end zone when the play was there.  You should be wondering why we were at best playing for OT and most likely would have lost anyways in regulation.  There were still 2 more downs to pick up 8 yards.  Or why we constantly ran into the line on first down banging our heads into a brick wall when they were ripe for play action.  Or giving McDermott everything he wants on D to come up short again.  McDermott had the game he creams his boxers over - 186 yards rushing and dominating in time of possession.  And he still lost.  

Great post! 

I have saw enough of the McDermott experience with one of the best qbs to ever play the game.  If we are being honest, he should have no less than 1 SB win.  He is waisting a HOF talent qb and I can not understand how some of you are ok with this to continue to happen.  You do realize everyone in the league says this team would be garbage without Josh Allen?  That's because the Coaches blow

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Blazman11 said:

A ham sandwich can coach this team into the playoffs with Allen at QB.

I'm not sure why this concept is so hard for Bills fans to understand. 

McD isn't the answer to progress this team to a SB. How in the world people can't see it is unfathomable. 

Next year the talk of the media will be how the Bills can't get it done. Same with the Cowboys. 

Allen is the defining reason why the Bills should have reached at least one SB. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Governor said:

The top 3 defenses advanced. That shifted this season. Even last years SB was 2 top 5 defenses. Philly was #1 I believe.

Philly D got shredded in the SB. 

Name a dominate defense this year. 

You think KCs defense won them the game? 

Sure defense is important. You really can't win it all on offense alone. That's just not sustainable. So defense has to be emphasized too. However, this is a QB driven league with show casing offensive talent. 

Defenses can no longer bump and run WRs, can't hit the QB, QBs can avoid sacks by throwing the ball away, and you can't hit a WR going up to make a catch. There is no way a defense can be elite under these conditions. 

Today's modern day defenses are no longer elite. They are mostly bend but don't break. Have very good red zone efficiency and produce turnovers. 

The days of the Bears elite D, Ravens, Pitt, etc... are long gone. You will never see defenses totally taking over a game and winning it all. 

Football has changed. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.