Have any NFL coaches "stepped back"?

Coaching contracts are mostly fully guaranteed although owners have tried to get some cancelled based on actions of coach.

Have any coaches agreed to step back and do a lesser job with guaranteed salaries of course?

I know some coaches had stepped away due to medical issues and returned but NFL coaching is a very demanding job and a coach could be an assistant game coach without putting in so many hours.  I am surprised some coaches have not been demoted by penny pinching owners rather than being fired and collecting full salary.  There is plenty of work a team needs to do even if demoted coach is just reviewing game film.

Closest I can think of is Rusty Jones who was promoted to front office when he had no interest in not coaching.

Head coaches get fired and then come back a few years later as assistants with the team that fired them.  This year former Broncos HC Vance Joseph rejoined the Broncos as D coordinator.  Many years ago, Jim Ringo returned to the Bills as OC after previously serving as Bills head coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've thought about that, too.  You'd think that the team would want to get some sort of ROI.  It's possible, in fact, once I think about it, probably probable, that the wording on the contract is that it's for the position of "head coach" & as such, no demotion is possible.

The idea of bringing in the guy you just fired / demoted for a lesser role is a huge risk because it's likely to lead to rifts / discontent in the building.  It's the same in the Corporate world - once you know someone is on the way out (or once they know they are on the way out at least) you almost always have to cut ties, there's too much risk involved otherwise.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

The idea of bringing in the guy you just fired / demoted for a lesser role is a huge risk because it's likely to lead to rifts / discontent in the building.  It's the same in the Corporate world - once you know someone is on the way out (or once they know they are on the way out at least) you almost always have to cut ties, there's too much risk involved otherwise.

I work in corporate world and have seen plenty of people dismissed as managers and then assigned other work with same company.  Difference is while they may get a golden parachute or severance package many do not want to leave even if they are doing a lesser role.

Sometimes it is not a dismissal but like happened with Rusty Jones assigned other work to allow fresh blood be involved.

1 hour ago, rusty shackleford said:

Oh, NFL coaches have stepped back alright…

the-nfl-is-declining-v0-n0wxco9xw39c1.jp

I like baseball where the manager is in the same uniform as the players.  

I'd like to see McDermott clapping on the sidelines in full uniform, shoulder pads included, and a helmet on.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Coaching contracts are mostly fully guaranteed although owners have tried to get some cancelled based on actions of coach.

Have any coaches agreed to step back and do a lesser job with guaranteed salaries of course?

I know some coaches had stepped away due to medical issues and returned but NFL coaching is a very demanding job and a coach could be an assistant game coach without putting in so many hours.  I am surprised some coaches have not been demoted by penny pinching owners rather than being fired and collecting full salary.  There is plenty of work a team needs to do even if demoted coach is just reviewing game film.

Closest I can think of is Rusty Jones who was promoted to front office when he had no interest in not coaching.

We don't really know how the money is working out. He could have resigned his coaching position, forfeiting his coaching compensation and then signed up for executive compensation.  Lots of coaches have stepped into executive roles following their coaching careers.

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I like baseball where the manager is in the same uniform as the players.  

I'd like to see McDermott clapping on the sidelines in full uniform, shoulder pads included, and a helmet on.  

Except he gets to wear the old school helmet with the single bar facemask.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.